Author Topic: Let's talk boats  (Read 3445 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Let's talk boats
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
So, my buddy and I went to see a boat today that we both agree is a serious possibility.

Pursuit 315 offshore.  2011 with twin 300s that only have 80 hours on them.

The thing is basically brand new, still smells new.

Not a World Cat but similar look and has more room in the cabin.  Very very sweet boat. 

We may have found the one.

Thats cool,ready to put under the tree for Xmas....... :salute   

Oh and Bailey,you asked where you cut bait on the boat I linked too,of course you dont cut bait,thats the butlers duty,same with reeling in those smelly fish..... :devil

Cocktails at noon eh!

:salute

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »
I have two boats for sale, 34ft Searay EC Cruiser (400 hours on pair of 454 engines) and a 34 Luhr's Sportsman fishing boat (with Cat diesels).

right now price is $15,000 for Searay and $30,000 for Luhrs, dumping them to buy a house in Montana. Basically the reason im selling, I haven't seen either boat in 4 years since I started my business and they've been eating me up in deadstorage fee's.
/going to move them soon with railroad ties, but until then im stuck
JG 52

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
rent for two years....if your renting still exceeds your monthly payment then buy.  Just like airplanes...if it has a prop then its gonna cost you a lot.  Dont forget the trailer is a whole other aspect to a boat. Think if I get a boat then I have another car to worry about.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2013, 06:39:20 AM »

Well, while we are actually VERY interested the guy who showed us the boat would have walked away from our meeting yesterday thinking there is no way we will even make an offer on it.  We acted as if we were only there to compare it to a world cat. 

There is a story behind this boat:

Bought brand new in 2011 it was brought to the island and used for a few months before the owner decided he wanted a bigger boat and he sold it to a partner in a local law firm here.  On the first day the new owner (who didn't know boats at all and who had merely had some instruction on how to drive it) decided to take out the family and was backing out of his berth when he suddenly realised he was going way too fast.  He then made the critical mistake of giving in to panic and threw the throttles forward.  Problem is, there is very little tension on these electronically controlled throttles (fly-by-wire, not actual cables) and the twin 300s roared into life and the boat reared, almost throwing everyone off the back of the boat and he slammed into a brand new multi-million dollar sport fishing boat, briefly mounting it (and bending the tower) before slipping back into the water.  The owner of the big boat was on it at the time and told the owner of this boat that he wasn't going ANYWHERE until the accident was dealt with legally, for the large insurance claim that was bound to be a fact soon.  The lawyer protested claiming he was a partner in a large law firm and could be trusted, to which the fishing boat owner said "Oh, you are a lawyer?  All the more reason to stay put.  You can meet mine in about 10 minutes."

As a result of this accident, which only caused some gel coat damage to the Pursuit, which was fixed up with no adverse effect on the boat, the lawyer is completely terrified of boats and wants nothing more to do with them.  He told the broker to "get rid of it".

That's where we come in.

We joked with the broker that the previous owner should look upon the boat as a horse and that he needs to "get right back on".  But the incident really scared him and he is highly motivated to dump it apparently.  So, for now we wait.  Probably a month or so, before going back with an insultingly low offer.  By that time it will be Jan/Feb and it is a time when nobody buys boats here....except guys like us.  :)  I just paid the bill to have the mooring completely overhauled and recertified as hurricane insurable.  Only thing we have left to do on that is to fit a bridle...for now the mooring guy is letting us borrow one in case we buy a boat quickly.  Afterwards he'll put on a new one for us.  We are totally ready and prepared.  The boat bank account is open and funded. 

If the boat is sold in the meantime, sobeit.  We'll find another one.

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

I had gotten bitten by the gofast boat bug as a super young kid taking rides on "flying saucer" which was a converted PT boat operated by Chris Montagna who owned "chris's restaurant" in ocean city, new jersey where my family has spent 2 or 3 weeks vacation since the late 40s.

We would set up HQ at the sindia hotel and various family members would cycle through for a few days at a time but I was lucky a few times to spend the entire 3 weeks there with very little supervision and ended up biking to where the boat was being readied for the season after an explosion the year before.

I quickly learned that bilges are a double edged sword of awesomeness and hard work but got a master's course in engine systems, spark control, and supercharging from the old man who had gotten so much horsepower from the engines that the coast guard decided his boat was too fast and ordered him to tone down his thrill rides.

Like any good gearhead, he refused to slow down and instead closed down the ride the next year.

http://moldville.com/files/45470752.wmv

The next year, I found myself biking to the Miami marine stadium to volunteer work in the pits of any speedboat race that occurred and did so for a number of years picking up experience in anything from jersey skiffs to full on unlimited hydroplanes.

I later ended up as a marine mechanic for hatteras of Lauderdale and service manager for full tilt marine near Washington DC.

The only boats I have owned were a sunflower (Styrofoam hull covered with vinyl), a sunfish, and two action marines one a super rare 15 footer and a 17 footer......neither of which I ever ran......but I sure did a lot of work on them.

I now live next to loggerhead marina in west palm beach and could well end up feeling the gravitational pull drag me into working there on some pretty awesome boats but I'm currently still working (feast or famine) on cars like the one below and still use the knowledge the old man in jersey gave to me.

The jersey shore might be the butt of jokes nowadays but it was the coolest place on earth from the turn of the 20th century to the late 80s and I still go every year to get my ski-ball, pinball, miniature golf, and arcade fix.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:30:26 PM by icepac »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2013, 04:42:01 AM »
I know a guy who has a place at the PGA resort and have been up in West Palm many times.  Shame I didn't know you were there, I would have stopped in to say hello.  We used to drive up from our place in Miami.  We decided to rent our house there now and have done so, for at least 3 years, so eventually I'll shout out to you if/when I am going to be in town.

If you, or any of you for that matter, ever come to Bermuda let me know.  I have met a few people from this board here and in the US.  Enjoyed meeting each and every one of them.

Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2013, 04:46:45 AM »
rent for two years....if your renting still exceeds your monthly payment then buy.  Just like airplanes...if it has a prop then its gonna cost you a lot.  Dont forget the trailer is a whole other aspect to a boat. Think if I get a boat then I have another car to worry about.

Turbines are cheaper?  :O
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2013, 04:54:05 AM »
icepac, I raced at the Miami marine stadium in Feb 1979.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
In 1979, I believed I helped out with "miss patco" which was owned by an air traffic controller who's son was a friend of mine.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »
I know a guy who has a place at the PGA resort and have been up in West Palm many times.  Shame I didn't know you were there, I would have stopped in to say hello.  We used to drive up from our place in Miami.  We decided to rent our house there now and have done so, for at least 3 years, so eventually I'll shout out to you if/when I am going to be in town.

If you, or any of you for that matter, ever come to Bermuda let me know.  I have met a few people from this board here and in the US.  Enjoyed meeting each and every one of them.

I'm contemplating a move to either DC area, Atlanta, California, or possibly some place near AMARG since I am at a point where I can make a big change pretty easily and tired of the feast or famine earnings in the current exotic car business.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
Now I am glad I didn't meet you, I'd be looking to sell an exotic car instead of a relatively cheap Camaro.  lol  :) :cheers:

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2013, 12:46:31 PM »
We put an offer in on the Pursuit just before Christmas and heard NOTHING.  So we kept looking.  This past Sunday I was playing golf with a guy who said he knew of a 30' Grady White with all kinds of bells and whistles on it, that was up for sale and the guy is desperate to get rid of it because he needs the cash.  I contacted him and he sent over the specs etc.  Beautiful boat.  So, my buddy sends the broker an email on Monday, just before we were hooking up for lunch, telling him that we are moving on after not hearing anything and that we were putting an offer in on something else.  Sure enough, as we are sitting waiting to put our lunch order in, his phone rings.  The broker had some major difficulties contacting the owner and said that the owner of the Pursuit was interested and wanted to counter our offer.  Today (2 minutes ago) he sent an email saying he has spoken to the owner and for my buddy to call him.

Just got an email that the counter was a bit high and that we are countering the counter. 

May own a boat in a few minutes.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

Oh and Bailey,you asked where you cut bait on the boat I linked too,of course you dont cut bait,thats the butlers duty,same with reeling in those smelly fish..... :devil

Cocktails at noon eh!

:salute

:rofl :rofl :aok

Yea its gets old comming home smelling like a French Brothel  :D
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »
Well, if anyone is following my "saga"....we were back and forth with offers and counter offers and we sent in our FINAL FINAL last week.  The guy countered again!!!  So, we told him we are 50/50 on it and that we'll need some time to weigh up all the options we currently have.  ie No.

He needs to come down to our level, We are not going any higher.  Cash is KING!

The search continues. 

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
This is the one we have been looking at: