Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 3825 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Computer problems
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
If it doesn't get much past post... no use to play with memtest.

Remove everything from the computer except the power supply, graphics card, CPU/cooler and 1 stick of ram. All USB devices (except keyboard) has to go too. Just as bare as possible.

See if it boots. If not, try to switch the ram stick to another one. If it still won't boot I would suggest the PSU switch next.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:23:22 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
double post
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
Will do!  With a failing part, will turning my computer on damage anything else?  
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
Will do!  With a failing part, will turning my computer on damage anything else?  

If your power supply is damaged it can fry your whole computer, thats the nasty bit about them. But generally speaking it probably would have fried already if its going to.

20 years ago I witnessed 6 workstations fry one after the other. PSU popped a blue flash out of the vents, all components dead in the workstation. I managed to see one of the pops up from close :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:26:55 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
So when I remove everything and turn it on it should run normally minus fully going into windows since their is no HD correct?  I'm really below a rookie when it comes to this stuff.

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
So when I remove everything and turn it on it should run normally minus fully going into windows since their is no HD correct?  I'm really below a rookie when it comes to this stuff.

Yes your computer will post and complain your boot drive is missing. It should stay running at that point. If it crashes again and changing ram sticks won't help then you definately either have a bad PSU or mobo/cpu.

One thing: check your manual how to reset CMOS before you try anything else. This often fixes weird problems. Again - caution. When the desktop I told about earlyer had failing PSU it started as CMOS corruption. Computer would work fine for a week, then not boot. One CMOS reset later, ran for a week again.

So in short, bad PSU can be a b..ch. If you have a cheap one now, do yourself a favor and switch to XFX/Seasonic.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »
I hope its PSU it looks easier to change than a mobo :(  I think I'm going to a friends house to use his PSU as long in spare to see if it works. Hopefully it does so I can replace just the PSU.

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:10 AM »
I hope its PSU it looks easier to change than a mobo :(  I think I'm going to a friends house to use his PSU as long in spare to see if it works. Hopefully it does so I can replace just the PSU.

Sounds like a good plan if your friend has a suitable PSU for your computer. Again one word of caution: If you test your computer with your friends PSU and he later gets a problem with his computer, you're going to have to convince him pretty hard it was not your fault. Just something to keep in mind...

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
Plug in spare *

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
We are close to the same PSU watts. If thats what your referring too.

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
With the PSU going bad will it make that cooler motor not run properly. IE like stop start and run slower than normal.

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
We are close to the same PSU watts. If thats what your referring too.

Yeah if it's a spare then you're probably good to go. I've just learned the hard way that if you touch someones computer and *anything* breaks from it afterwards (1-60 months later) it's going to be your fault :D

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
With the PSU going bad will it make that cooler motor not run properly. IE like stop start and run slower than normal.

Yes, a bad PSU can make anything from slow motion to smoke and fire.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
A good sign to see is that the fan motor goes to full speed while testing? 

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:31 AM »
A good sign to see is that the fan motor goes to full speed while testing? 

Unfortunately no. Fan speed can go berzerk or too slow. A good sign is when the computer posts and works stable.