Author Topic: Computer problems  (Read 3826 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Computer problems
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
Yesterday I noticed my Water cooler fan wasn't running properly. it was starting and stopping. Now my computer won't stay on for more than a few seconds. The same fan looks to be working though. Temps on the front screen are all in the 25 celcius range. I'm lost here..
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
Re: Computer problems
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
support is only available to customers  :D

Try to remove the radiator from the cpu, clean it all, reapply thermal paste if needed, and put the radiator back on...

It doesn't look good tho, your cpu could be damaged

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
Alright. For some reason it cut on itself but won't display anything on the screen. Haven't heard any beeps or anything.

The Few

-Spek

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »
Alright. For some reason it cut on itself but won't display anything on the screen. Haven't heard any beeps or anything.

tell us your computer specs, ACE......

cpu, MB, OS, ram, videocard, HD type ( plate type HD or SSD ? ) monitor and connection  VGA/DVI/HDMI

everything you can think of to tell us............ might help us better to decipher your problem ........ any recent windows updates or firmware updates to devices or such???

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 ii 925 2.6 Ghz
MB:GA-770T-USB3
Ram: just 8Gb I don't know the brand atm
Vid: EVGA Geforce GTX 660 <Almost brand new less than a year old for sure.
HD: 1TB HDD I have one SSD 32 GB but I don't use it at all.
Monitor: VGA connection

More info:  Computer has never had any problems prior to this.  I don't want to think CPU because I wasn't playing any games for the past week or so, its never gotten hot while its been on this past week.  I just looked down and saw that fan motor turn off and on.  Even my CPU temp looks normal for just being at desktop.  I still have a blank screen.  That fan motor for some reason looks like its working. 

The Few

-Spek

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
Should I shut it down manually from the back? Or just leave it running cause it isn't running hot. 

The Few

-Spek

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
ACE, are you using a VGA to DVI adapter to hook your monitor cable to the back of your video card?  if so, switch from the #1 DVI slot to the secondary DVI slot on the back of your video card to see if it will pick it up and give you something on the monitor screen

this is just a quick sugestion, since you said the PC comes on but your screen is blank.......... I had a similar problem with my Dad's PC, I switch the DVI hook ups from #1 main to the #2 secondary on back of the pc at the videocard plate...... and it worked, hopefully you have the same luck

do a complete Hard Reboot ( hold power button in on PC until everything is off and no fans are turning, then unplug power cord from back of power supply on the PC, switch the video connection slots, then plug power cord back up and Reboot up the PC..

Hope this helps ..... Good Luck

TC ( let us know how it goes or if you have any luck )
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 06:03:25 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
I only have two connections but the cord only goes in one. I did the hard reboot. It gave me a black screen and said something about bios system checkum has failed.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:16:23 PM »
bios system checksum has failed.
CMOS battery maybe? - That was the problem with mine once and it created some weird problem until I realised it was just that cheap battery on the motherboard! - Replaced and all was well again although you may need to check the settings in the BIOS afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:18:25 PM by Blagard »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:41:33 PM »
I only have two connections but the cord only goes in one. I did the hard reboot. It gave me a black screen and said something about bios system checkum has failed.

CMOS battery maybe? - That was the problem with mine once and it created some weird problem until I realised it was just that cheap battery on the motherboard! - Replaced and all was well again although you may need to check the settings in the BIOS afterwards.

Blagard is correct far as I can remember........  getting the "bios system checksum has failed" error

usually means that the battery on the motherboard has lost its ability to supply power

Hope this helps, Good Luck

TC

( as for the 2 DVI connections on the back of your video card, yes I know......... I was asking for you to remove the cable from the one connection and connect it to the secondary DVI connection.......... also I do believe that videocard has a 3rd connection, a HDMI connection on it...... )

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
So i need to purchase a new mobo?  How much do they run that will support my specs :(

The Few

-Spek

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
So i need to purchase a new mobo?  How much do they run that will support my specs :(

Just replace the battery! - It is usually a button type about 3/4" diameter - it is simply clipped in. Like a big watch battery!
There will be a number on the battery to identify the battery model.  Click example link

example CR2032 battery
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:57:35 PM by Blagard »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
Hmm hopefully thats what's wrong. Would that cause the cooler fan motor to stop and start?

The Few

-Spek

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 01:20:02 AM »
Motherboards sense whether the cooling fan is running.

If your cooling fan is not running, the motherboard will shut down.

This is usually only on the cpu fan but it's possible a water cooler has some sort of controller plugged into the fan header on the motherboard.

Also......what brand of 'water cooler"?   

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »
No beep at all, fans running, black screen: The computer itself is not "on", it's only powered. There are multiple reasons why this would happen.
  • Bad memory stick. Test first with one at a time if the computer would boot. Then with pairs until you find the one(s) that won't boot.
  • Bad CPU. Test with another known good one, doesn't have to be identical, only compatible with the mobo
  • Bad video card
  • Bad power supply
Also, if any of them has somehow become loose. Deattach them and reseat into their relevant slots. Remove dust from the slots if you feel it might interfere with a good connection.

The BIOS checksum error can be due to a failing battery, but it may also refer to a failing component showing as missing from the original setup. You can see that by looking at the time settings in the BIOS setup. If the time and date is correct, then it's a failing/missing component. If the time shows as being midnight some years ago, then it's most likely the battery.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni