Author Topic: Security of Java takes a dangerous turn for the worse, experts say  (Read 894 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Security of Java takes a dangerous turn for the worse, experts say
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »
for those of you who think using java has no effect on you,

you should read the following link

Security of Java takes a dangerous turn for the worse, experts say

Beware of increasingly advanced exploits targeting flaws that will never be fixed.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/09/security-of-java-takes-a-dangerous-turn-for-the-worse-experts-say/

there is more problems regarding "Java" besides what is mentioned in the above linked article...... 

hope this helps someone

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Security of Java takes a dangerous turn for the worse, experts say
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:20:08 AM »
Java has always been an exploit waiting to happen.  The single worst thing that has ever happened to the computer industry.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:24:04 AM »
Java has always been an exploit waiting to happen.  The single worst thing that has ever happened to the computer industry.

Luckily nobody is forced to have it on the computer. I never install the thing and remove it even from OSX.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:18 AM »
Luckily nobody is forced to have it on the computer. I never install the thing and remove it even from OSX.

Danske Bank... good thing is they have changed it a few months ago but people still need java if they want to use danske bank when paying in webstores.
I am a spy!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 03:32:09 AM »
Danske Bank... good thing is they have changed it a few months ago but people still need java if they want to use danske bank when paying in webstores.
Old William knew that centuries ago:
Quote from: Marcellus (Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 90)
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:00:11 AM »

Nobody is forced to use Danske bank...

Quote from: Marcellus (Hamlet Act 1, scene 4, 90)
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

ROFL good one Bizman. Hit the nail in the head.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 04:03:41 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:45:40 AM »

what are the options? Go back to 1990's internet?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »
I uninstalled Java from all my machines several months ago.  I've yet to run into anything I'm missing on the Internet without it although there was one web-site that asked me to install it to access their "content".
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »

Java is very rarely needed on anything web page related. It's mostly used for different kinds of applications. Javascript then again is very common. But for safety reasons javascript should be blocked too.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:32 AM »

You of all people should appreciate the fact Java is a huge security problem which cannot be made secure.  Yes, I would rather go back to pure HTML, than run an ill designed implementation prone to unlimited exploits.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:33:16 AM »
It is certainly true that Java version 7 has huge problems, but the gist of the alarmist article is that Java version 6, "...which Oracle stopped supporting in February...", (over six months ago!) is unpatched and vulnerable.  And that if you must sill use Java you should update to Java version 7, ASAP.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:16 AM »
It is certainly true that Java version 7 has huge problems, but the gist of the alarmist article is that Java version 6, "...which Oracle stopped supporting in February...", (over six months ago!) is unpatched and vulnerable.  And that if you must sill use Java you should update to Java version 7, ASAP.

Some applications actually require Java6. Updating can result in nasty surprises: http://www.jnbridge.com/jn/blog/2013/01/28/java-7-update-silently-deletes-java-6-breaks-applications/

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Folks,

I'm just a layman so I am understanding that JAVA is not the same as JavaScript? Am I correct? Is JavaScript safe to use?

Thanx
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
Folks,

I'm just a layman so I am understanding that JAVA is not the same as JavaScript? Am I correct? Is JavaScript safe to use?

Thanx

Java and Javascript are not the same. For example, despite the name, Javascript is not a script version of Java.  Java is dangerous and not really needed for run of the mill web pages.  Javascript can also be dangerous, but pretty much nothing on the web will work properly with it disabled.  So you pay your money and takes your chances.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Java and Javascript are not the same. For example, despite the name, Javascript is not a script version of Java.  Java is dangerous and not really needed for run of the mill web pages.  Javascript can also be dangerous, but pretty much nothing on the web will work properly with it disabled.  So you pay your money and takes your chances.

Actually most things on the web will work at basic level without javascript but some badly made websites may have even hyperlinks and menus disabled if you don't enable javascript. I always run noscript on my computers so by default no website uses any javascript or flash when I enter them. If I see the need for it I can enable a specific site for javascript but leave googleapi etc sites disabled. Often ad networks are a source of attacks so better not to see them. And this of course is while using Mac or Linux - with windows I don't browse the net. Period.