Author Topic: The perfect solution for tank town  (Read 1298 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: The perfect solution for tank town
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
But in ah theres 100 times more wirble,s and osti,s than in the real war  :bolt:
and a perfect opportunity to not fly within the range of those wirble's and osti's,,, yet they only occupy ground level,, planes can occupy all other altitudes up to 40 k or so!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
I've seen nothing wrong with tank town fighting, some people just want an excuse not to have bombs around so they can bring out heavily perked vehicles to play with.

Im all happy for that, but bomb****s are what stops that from getting out of hand.

You can have your unmolested GVs and your ground attack too, if the game is tweaked correctly.  Then everybody will be happy.  My thoughts on this revolve around maps with chained VBases and Chained air bases, with adequate separation (physical or game-mechanical).  I can think of quite a few ways, both map-oriented and game-mechanics-oriented to arrange it so the chained air bases have lots of ground attack AC and the chained VBases have few to none.  Then both sides can be happy, which is the best solution, and the one which in the long run will produce the most subscribers.    

MH
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:54:13 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:09 PM »
and a perfect opportunity to not fly within the range of those wirble's and osti's,,, yet they only occupy ground level,, planes can occupy all other altitudes up to 40 k or so!

*Nudges Whiskey* 

I find it very interesting that players complain of Wirbles/Ostwinds like they are the plague. Like they bring up an invisible wall that the planes crash into. When in reality, the wirbs/ostis only take up a small circle 1.7k from wirbs 3-4k for ostis (the good shots).  ANd you have to be less than 4-5k when you fly over those little circles. Other than that, they are harmless.

So what I get when I hear a "increase icon range" is.

"I flew within the wirbles/ostiwinds range and died! I want to see them from 2k out so they can't shoot me!"

If you attack the GV correctly, there is no issue.

Rant over...   

Thanks Whiskey     :lol

:cheers:
_____________________________ ___________________

*Clears throat*

On to the topic.

I wonder if Greebo was trying to make it so planes would have a difficult time trying to get into his TankTown. Or, if he simply didn't want them in, but the terrain would only go to 30k?

It would be nice if a few of the bases in tank town were unable to be captured, yet not on the front lines (like has been mentioned repeatedly before in the past few weeks). That way, tank town would have it's own mini front-line, something to fight for. And, it could only go back to a certain point, no more steam-rolling through tank town.  GVer's get their fun, and those who are bored enough can fly to 30k (or sea level or some maps) and bomb the other gvs. 

Which makes wirbles come out, which gives easier/more targets for the friendly GVers.  :devil

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
WRT Trinity, it already has 30K (or at least high enough) mountains surrounding TT, which accomplishes the same thing, with no extra work.

MH

17k is not the same thing, which is the altitude they all come in at on Trinity. It doesn't stop anyone. If the goal is stopping mudhens, then I just gave it to you in the OP. If you want to stop captures, then it's even easier.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
I've seen nothing wrong with tank town fighting, some people just want an excuse not to have bombs around so they can bring out heavily perked vehicles to play with.

Im all happy for that, but bomb****s are what stops that from getting out of hand.

But it doesn't have to be easy. The way it is in AH is, as 715 says, the greater population earns their perks as a mudhen, because they can't really fly well. Most never do learn how to fight, except to bomb GVs.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »
17k is not the same thing, which is the altitude they all come in at on Trinity. It doesn't stop anyone. If the goal is stopping mudhens, then I just gave it to you in the OP. If you want to stop captures, then it's even easier.

You exaggerate with the "it doesn't stop anyone".  Whatever height they were, I recall that ground attack griefers were rare in Trinity TT.  Not as good as 30K of course, but doesn't require a major map remake either.  If they're willing to raise them, fine, make them 30K.  If not, I'd rather have Trinity with existing-height mountains than no Trinity at all.  Add that TT VBase I mentioned though...

MH  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:05:03 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 07:07:41 PM »
No, I'm not exaggerating. You are looking at TT Trinity as the epitome of GV areas, and it never was that. It was easier to get to than Greebo TT, and mudhens were there every night.

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »

I dont find hurri 2d or ju87g2 cannons very effective from more than 300 to 400 yards let alone 40k, if youre trying to stop GV,s in proper gv killing planes it doesnt take long for the whole spawn to be full of wirbs. This in turn leads to people bombing the gvs instead of feeding the wirbs kills.

If i see people bombing gvs and im in a fighter ill dive down to support the gv,s this also leads to me getting lit up by wirbs or ostis i dont mind its a toon death ill just reup and die again.

Was just making a tongue in cheek reply to the statement i quoted.

In all seriousness HTC perk planes and uber tanks to keep them to a more historical accuracy of numbers why not the AA vehicles that saw less numbers produced?

These are Game changing vehicles due to the way they can supress the Il2, Hurri2d,s and ju87g2 from being effective anti tank weapons, so of course the "Bomb ****s" are gonna come out to play .

The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
No, I'm not exaggerating. You are looking at TT Trinity as the epitome of GV areas, and it never was that. It was easier to get to than Greebo TT, and mudhens were there every night.

Hmmm; I remember it differently with Trinity; TT griefers never were significant.  Perhaps Lusche could speak up on this one...

BTW, my favorite TT is OzKansas, not Trinity, so long as all 3 chess pieces have a presence in the central 6 VBase area. 

MH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
In all seriousness HTC perk planes and uber tanks to keep them to a more historical accuracy of numbers why not the AA vehicles that saw less numbers produced?

HTC doesn't perk planes and GV for historical accuracy at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
BTW, my favorite TT is OzKansas, not Trinity, so long as all 3 chess pieces have a presence in the central 6 VBase area. 

Mine too. Probably you were like everyone else on Trinity and fighting at another spawn. I killed many a freebird in TT there when they would lancstuka the fields and guns. Then it was M8s and M3s for the capture.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:56 AM »
The problem with AH Terrains in general is there is no where for a GV to hide. On top of that Enemy Icons are turned on. You can't hide GV's in bombed buildings nor can you cover your GV with camouflage. Barns and trees do not hide icons. Storchs can find anything.  Bomb toads are always going to bomb GV's because it is so easy. It is a fast way to get perks while getting your name in lights. When ords are down at the nearest air fields, they will fly in from several sectors away just to bomb GV's.  All the BT's have their own reasons for bombing GV's. There is a problem with the BT's and GV players are leaving posts about it on a regular basis. If you check player stats, a very large percentage of players are driving GV's.

The perks required to drive a Tiger 2 took time to accumulate, then poof, a BT got him. No wonder they always sit on the pavement. I rarely take a Tiger 2 out. I don't need the aggravation. If I drive a M-18, there is always some plane flying down to shoot the open turret. You can't hide in a barn, icons are on and they can shoot right through the barn. If I had a dollar every time I heard a M-18 driver cussing about some plane shooting his turret, I'd have a good size sack of money.

Next week we will see more ideas to foil the BT's.  HiTech reads these posts. Maybe one of these days he will have a solution that pleases everyone.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »
I prefer the term mudhen. The reason is simple, but might take a little explaining. The mudhen is another name for the F-15 Strike Eagle. F-15 pilots think of themselves as the top dogs. In AH, your 'BTs" drop bombs on GVs to get their names in light. In a lot of ways, that's just the attitude of an F-15 jockey. Coots, are another name for Mud Hen. Coots lay their eggs in muddy, leafy nests surrounded by water. BT's is just another clever form of being insulting, but it's also ignorant in so many ways.

Mudhens. Let's use it.

Or you could just say, Festurd.  :devil

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »

I wonder if Greebo was trying to make it so planes would have a difficult time trying to get into his TankTown. Or, if he simply didn't want them in, but the terrain would only go to 30k?

I designed CraterMA a very long time ago and the original idea was to have three airfields on the outer raised part of the caldera to create a fighter town. Then HTC banned fighter towns from MA maps so I had to delete them. So the crater rim was originally designed more to keep planes in the crater than out. Now it just adds 5-10 minutes to a jabo's transit time and is more of a deterrent than a barrier.

I don't suppose HTC model altitude effects on GV engines so a very high alt tank town would be doable for an MA map. Perhaps give the TT terrain a snow texture and get players to use winter skins.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Mine too. Probably you were like everyone else on Trinity and fighting at another spawn. <snip>

I rarely spawn camp or up at camped spawns, and when I do it's only when the numbers on both sides are comparable.  Otherwise it's boring and/or frustrating. 

On Trinity I preferred TT, but since recently it was usually empty my second choice the V83 / V28 VBase pair, which provided good play balance and variety.  The cliff spawn on V28 also made it possible for enterprising GVs to do an end run on the other team's main position, although this was possible down in the valley too. 

MH