Author Topic: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI  (Read 16416 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
Schlowy cosplaying.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »
Hey man, some people liked Sgt. Schulz.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
THIS IS KARNAK'S THREAD.

His burden of proof! His chart does not say #s built before the end of the war.
Lyric's book shows 27 built, and it ground attack only! No mention of air to air combat.

GET A SOURCE, OR GET OUT OF THE THREAD.

All you guys have done, is what you do everytime, turn this forum into a circus, ganging, and pushing to ban any oposition to YOUR PROPAGANDA. All the while, you flame and flamebait, violationg ROC.
  :banana:
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
At least two sources have been posted which give a full overview of Spit production. Lyric's, as you can tell from the title, covers a single squadron.

You want to prove the Spit 16 didn't see combat? Go prove it. Why should we do your work for you.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
Franz,

The following was based on data from the source I listed earlier.  I posted it earlier in the thread.

I don't think I can get you a precise answer.  I was looking through "Spitfire: The History" by Morgan and Shacklady and the numbers simply aren't broken down like that.  I can infer some things by the dates the orders were filled, but only to a degree.  When it says an order for 1500 Spitfire F.21s was placed, then canceled, then partially reinstated as 673 Mk IXs that were filled as Mk IXs and Mk XVIs between June and October of 1944 I can safely say they all had e wings, but I have no idea how many were HF.Mk IXes, LF.Mk IXes or Mk XVIs.  Another example was an order for 2190 Spitfire Mk Vs placed on 12 May, 1942 and built between July 1943 and May 1944 as a mix of Mk Vcs, Mk IXs and Mk XVIs.

Total Spitfire Mk IX production, all Mk IX serials, was 5663.  Total Mk XVI production was 1053 and total production of the Mk IX stopgap airframe was 6716.  Of the 5663 Mk IX serials most were built as LF.Mk IXs with Merlin 66s, but I have no idea what the breakdown between universal wings and e wings was.  All 1053 Mk XVIs were LFs with the Merlin 266 and all had the e wing.  Bare minimum that I can see being of the LF.Mk IXe/Mk XVI type would be about 2000, and it could be well above that.

This will be my final post referencing my source as you refuse to acknowledge any such post.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
PM me if you can pls Karnak.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
THIS IS KARNAK'S THREAD.

His burden of proof! His chart does not say #s built before the end of the war.
Lyric's book shows 27 built, and it ground attack only! No mention of air to air combat.

GET A SOURCE, OR GET OUT OF THE THREAD.

All you guys have done, is what you do everytime, turn this forum into a circus, ganging, and pushing to ban any oposition to YOUR PROPAGANDA. All the while, you flame and flamebait, violationg ROC.
  :banana:

So lets keep this simple for your simple mind.  This Spitfire XVI TB752, that still survives in the museum at Manston is credited with four kills by four different pilots while operating from a German airfield.  That's one Spitfire XVI. 

http://www.spitfiremuseum.org.uk/spitfire/spitfire.htm

I'd suggest you look up the operations of 127 Wing made up of 403, 416 and 421 squadrons equipped with Spitfire XVI.  443 Squadron equipped with XVI.  131 Wing made up of 302 and 308 squadrons with Spitfire XVI.  145 Wing made up of 329 and 340 squadrons with XVI.  322 squadron had XVI.  66 Squadron had XVI, 602 Squadron had XVI. 453 Squadron had XVI. 129 squadron had XVI.  These are all wartime squadrons operating the XVI

You can go sit in the corner now :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »
403 Squadron claimed 31 kills while flying XVIs and that's with the Luftwaffe being non existent for the most part.They had the XVI starting in December 1944.  Their first kill was December 8, 1944 on a sweep over Germany.  On Christmas day the Squadron CO shot down a 262 while in an XVI.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:25:10 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »
All the while, you flame and flamebait, violationg ROC.

No one is allowed to violate ROC!

Unless you buy me a drink first.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »
 :rofl

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
 :lol :aok
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »
Where did Joseph Goebbels go?  I was waiting for some reply from the Nazi propaganda minister.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »
Hey Guppy, can you PM me as well?

Thanks.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
The silence is deafening from the bunker.

<crickets chirping>

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:09:27 AM by Skuzzy »
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'