Author Topic: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI  (Read 15784 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Clarifications about the Spitfire Mk IX and XVI
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
I know it as: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink the water.

Or: you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, but you can make it bloody well wish it had!  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
It's just Schlowy trolling. I saw him in game a week or two ago, and he openly admitted his sole purpose in this thread is to troll.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Let's hunt him down in Spitfire Mark XVIs.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
Thanks Lyric!
YES, Page 168
"The first operation with the XVIs was conducted on 21 November, and until 23 November both marks were flown on operations. Most operations were against V2 sites around The Hague, quite often rearming at B.67/Unsel, in Belgium, for futher attacks on the return journey to the UK."
D-day had already happened june 6th 1944, FIVE MONTHS LATER, and Spit16's were still based in ENGLAND.
"Later operations flown on 29 April 1945, 453 moved to RAF Lasham, and by 15 June..."
Lasham is STILL IN ENGLAND.
SOO, GROUND ATTACK FROM ENGLAND LOL AND THEN WAR WAS OVER! (MAY 7th 1945)  So the 453rd had 27 of them? Combat? MAYBE THEY HAD SOME MAJOR ISSUES AND DEEMED NOT WORTHY OF AIR TO AIR COMBAT?  
:rofl

Well this post needs an answer.
If you look on page #183 of the book you will see this squadrons last kill was in September 1944. Spit XVI as you pointed out was not around yet. A little hard to be involved in air to air combat when the Luftwaffe was cleared from the skies where the 453 squadron XVI's would later operate.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/119116066/Defeat-to-Victory-Opt

As far as major issues are concerned for air to air combat page #127 has a note at the bottom of it. If they liked the XVI over the IX because of it's improved performance & they shot down plenty with the IX.
What do you think would have happened if they crossed paths with the Luftwaffe with the XVI?

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
Let's hunt him down in Spitfire Mark XVIs.

I refuse to fly it. It is the plane of tards and the unskilled.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »

Well if you want to continue being a loser, be my guest.   :D :devil

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »
Have you ever flown it so as to be familiar with its limitations so as to better fight it?  Offline even.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

I find those that usually disparage the Spitfire are those that lack the skill to fight one and to sooth their ego after being shot down by one, will call the Spitfire "dweebish, trainer, plane of the 'tards" in the false belief that it makes their death somewhat trivial because they were shot down by a Spitfire.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
I find those that usually disparage the Spitfire are those that lack the skill to fight one and to sooth their ego after being shot down by one, will call the Spitfire "dweebish, trainer, plane of the 'tards" in the false belief that it makes their death somewhat trivial because they were shot down by a Spitfire.

ack-ack
Which is kind of an interesting thing given a number of German fighter pilots insisted that they had been shot down by a Spitfire and not by a Hurricane during the Battle of Britain.  Had to have been a Spitfire as no mere Hurricane could possibly have gotten them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

ack-ack

Unless I encounter a pack of them, they're usually not a problem.

However, I do think they're comically easy to fly, and refuse to fly them on the same principle I refuse to fly the La-7, F4U, and P-51: I can fly harder aircraft.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »

However, I do think they're comically easy to fly, and refuse to fly them on the same principle I refuse to fly the La-7, F4U, and P-51: I can fly harder aircraft.

So in your mind just because you don't fly a Spitfire, you think you're the more skilled player over the one that does fly a Spitfire.  :rofl

ack-ack

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »

They're never a problem if you run away.... Of course, you must realize that some of the better players fly the Spit16 now and then, usually when outnumbered. Run across one of these chaps and I promise you'll have a problem... If you stick around.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
So in your mind just because you don't fly a Spitfire, you think you're the more skilled player over the one that does fly a Spitfire.  :rofl

ack-ack

No, I don't imagine myself better than those flying spits just because I fly a 109F, or a Ki-61, it what have you (though it would appear to be true for the average spit pilot). But I do know I've done more surviving against the horde in a G-2 or F-4 than in a Spixteen.

Mostly, though, I fly the harder aircraft to push myself.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2013, 12:16:38 AM »

You must be extremely skillful and effective.

I can fly harder aircraft.

I think I'll take a look at your score and see how you get on...

If and when you mature and learn to think for yourself, instead of recycling the typical prejudicial opinions of those around you, then your input would be meritorious. Presently you are a caricature of a laughable sect of Aces High forum members who's self honesty is as deficient as their objectivity both historically and technically.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »
No, I don't imagine myself better than those flying spits just because I fly a 109F, or a Ki-61, it what have you (though it would appear to be true for the average spit pilot). But I do know I've done more surviving against the horde in a G-2 or F-4 than in a Spixteen.

Mostly, though, I fly the harder aircraft to push myself.

Glancing at your stats it would appear that you would benefit from flying the Spitfire more than you think.

ack-ack