Author Topic: Fort Irwin OC's and OPFOR  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
Fort Irwin OC's and OPFOR
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:22 PM »
I was stationed at Fr Irwin from 1994-1997.  Call Sign Cobra 13C.  Cobra team was the Armored Task Force Trainning team.  I was a Mechanized Infantry Trainer.  OC'ed Mech Infantry platoons, Anti Armor Platoons, and Tank Platoons.  Sending out greetings to all who served.  If you were stationed at or rotated through Fr Irwin give us a shout.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
Re: Fort Irwin OC's and OPFOR
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
I was Tarantula 15 light task force (airborne) engineer trainer 2008 to 2010. Then I was bronco 15 brigade engineer trainer. I have tarantula bronco and sidewinder buckles. Big salute to another gentleman of the desert.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
Well, I trained there in 2010, in Pretendistan.  Way back when I read the book Dragons at War, by (as I recall) Daniel P Bolger, about his experience as OC B on the first rotations through NTC, so it was kind of neat to go over the same ground many years later, now with the OC experience myself.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »
Rotated through Feb/Mar 1985. 2/9 Cav 24th Inf Div (Mech)

Froze our butts off but it was an excellent excercise.

I believe it's because of the Ft. Irwin experience that Desert Storm went so well.

Salutes!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:53:02 AM »
I am there now.  Callsign Raven 07T.  I do combat airspace management/planning for the USAF GREEN FLAG-West exercise, which is run in conjunction with the NTC rotations.  I also control all assets above the coordinating altitude during rotation.  I should have two more rotations here then its off to Korea and that dreaded staff tour with 7th AF.

-FBDurr
FBDurr -- A Freebird since 2013, been playing Aces High since 2001.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Two wekes ago I cud not spell ROZ and now I r one!

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
Was 1/16th Infantry 1st I.D. last time I was there in Nov-Dec? 94
We kicked OPFOR's booty :neener:

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
That is something I haven't seen in 2 years here (OPFOR getting beat that is).  Part of that is because most of the rotations since I have been here have been COIN style, where there is no winner or loser strictly speaking, but in the full scale force-on-force rotations the OPFOR usually just demolishes the RTU.  The first real full up rotation simulating a near-peer (12-05) resulted in OPFOR rolling up into the visiting Brigade's TOC within about 45 minutes as I recall.  Hopefully our local "Russians" are a lot better than the real Russians!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:03:32 PM by DurrD »

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
For everybody that has no idea what we are talking about, the US Army maintains a National Training Center at Fort Irwin, CA.  It is wayyyy out in the middle of the Mojave Desert (not far south of Death Valley actually).  It consists of nearly a thousand square miles of mountainous desert terrain interspersed with about a dozen or so towns and villages, some of which are amazingly large. 

There is a local opposing force or OPFOR (the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment) of about 5k soldiers, and they have vehicles that are mocked up to simulate Soviet style equipment (to include T-72s, BMP's, BRDM's, etc).  Ten times a year, for almost a month, a Brigade rotates through for training (typically right before deploying downrange).  It takes a few days to setup, then they have special training exercises for about a week, which are more scripted (including full up live fire events); followed by a week of "direct action" which is a free play unscripted maneuver battle between the OPFOR and the RTU (rotational unit).  Its all scored using laser systems (MILES for those familiar), and the whole range is wired to track everything right down to each individual shot.  There is air support including pretty much everything in the US inventory, and the battle literally encompasses the full spectrum, including electronic and cyber warfare. 

Its a fascinating exercise, and has saved countless lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.  The Army was lucky when it chose Fort Irwin in the 1980's, given that it literally looks exactly like Afghanistan, which has been helpful in putting on realistic exercises.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
I'm sure the local Russians are better than the real Russians.  They also have the advantage of intimately knowing the ground, which wouldn't be true in a real war.

Of course, the real Russians still have about two thousand operational strategic nuclear weapons, which kinda renders the exercise of armoured brigades an exercise in wishful thinking.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
Of course, the real Russians still have about two thousand operational strategic nuclear weapons, which kinda renders the exercise of armoured brigades an exercise in wishful thinking.

Not at all. To begin with while the odds of fighting actual Russians is small the odds of facing off against Russian made equipment and tactics is very high. As we found out in the Gulf and Iraq-2. Even if we ended up fighting the Russians the chances it would go nuclear is rather small cause we have as many nukes and probably better ones. In nuclear war neither wins while in conventional war one can win, or both sides can not lose, or one side can lose and still retain their territory and Govt.

Almost every conceivable enemy would use Russian arms or tactics. I was aware of this training asset but not very knowledgeable about it. I am indeed very glad the troops have a high opinion of it. You fight the way you practice.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
Tarantula 12B/C, June 1993 to Dec 1995. 27 Rotations, all of them Light. Light Infantry trainer/Ranger/Airborne. We really called it the Ft. Irwin Jump Club :)

For those who know, there will "ALWAYS" be a tarantula in the field !

Belt Buckle # 184, and holder of the Golden HUMMER award. (yea, that is a vehicle for some of you with active minds).

I think I walked every square inch of that desert a few times over. And most Hollywood jumps I think I ever made.

Most memorable burn site?

Agony
Yea, simply because I can

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »
Indeed, the prevalence of Soviet Era weapons and tactics in the third world is the primary justification for continuing to train to fight a Soviet style enemy.  The theory is that this is the hardest possible adversary, and thus anything else we face will be easy.  Unfortunately, this is like training for hockey because it's the toughest team sport out there, and then showing up with skates and sticks to play tennis.  Yes, it's a much less demanding game, but you're still gonna lose.    Exhibit A - Vietnam.  Exhibit B - Afghanistan.  Exhibit C - Iraq.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
Belt buckle 484.

Most memorable burn site, near refrigerator gap during the Santa Ana winds.... holy winds batman....
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Who could ever forget "The Whale? Or the Desert morning view of the Mountains :aok

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID