Author Topic: R/C mode please!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: R/C mode please!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
No

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
-1 for the main arena. Dedicated RC sims are better for learning because model aircraft behave differently when compared to real ones. For some it would be an interesting experiment because I have heard of enthusiasts experimenting with lazer, IR, sonic devices and/or FPV to mock combat. Maybe for them it would give a feeling of how easy/difficult it would actually be. Wouldn`t use it but not against it in offline, custom or some other arena. Maybe it would make RC enthusiast to try the game.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
This would be good for practice to learn R/C flying before crashing your favorite R/C fighter

It won't. Learning to fly RC aircraft has nothing to do with practicing maneuvers on a video screen. It's about coordination. You can learn to coordinate a video airplane with PC hardware and controls. You can't practice using a joystick or mouse to fly a plane on a screen to learn coordination with a completely different kind of remote with wind and real depth perception to contend with. But most importantly, coordinating your thumbs to the real life flight characteristics of an RC plane.

This would do one thing, although I don't think it would be that popular, it would take players out of the MA and hurt the core of this game. If they want to fly RC they have that option, but good business models don't make it easy for customers to give up their "premium" products for their less attractive novelties.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »
Yeah but AH version would have... guns!

You'd put your eye out!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Franz Von Werra

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
Ohh ohhkay Muzik...

Going by what you say, then THIS GAME WOULD NOT HELP ANYONE LEARN REAL DOGFIGHTING AT ALL either then?
Its just a game, has nothing in common with Real Life?!?!   ;)
fuel burn 1x please! - '1x Wednesdays?'

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »
Ohh ohhkay Muzik...

THIS GAME WOULD NOT HELP ANYONE LEARN REAL DOGFIGHTING AT ALL either then?
Its just a game, has nothing in common with Real Life?!?!   ;)

No truer statement has ever been spoken!

JUGgler
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:44:00 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 02:32:32 PM »
It won't. Learning to fly RC aircraft has nothing to do with practicing maneuvers on a video screen. It's about coordination. You can learn to coordinate a video airplane with PC hardware and controls. You can't practice using a joystick or mouse to fly a plane on a screen to learn coordination with a completely different kind of remote with wind and real depth perception to contend with. But most importantly, coordinating your thumbs to the real life flight characteristics of an RC plane.

Actually, practicing on a PC does help improve one's RC flying using an RC flight sim program.  The one I have lets me connect my RC remote to my PC via a USB cable and and I can either practice my RC plane or helicopter flying,  Heck, I learned to fly RC helicopters using this RC flight sim.  Learned the basics on the sim and practiced until I had it down before trying it in real time with my helo, saved me a lot of frustration.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
Actually, practicing on a PC does help improve one's RC flying using an RC flight sim program.  The one I have lets me connect my RC remote to my PC via a USB cable and and I can either practice my RC plane or helicopter flying,  Heck, I learned to fly RC helicopters using this RC flight sim.  Learned the basics on the sim and practiced until I had it down before trying it in real time with my helo, saved me a lot of frustration.

ack-ack

So you're saying you never had a hard landing or crashed your RC aircraft? I doubt it. The real life coordination does not translate to a pc game. It may be similar, but it will not be the same.

Same goes for flying. You will never get into a p-38 and fly it like a pro. If you get that oportunity, you will go through as many if not more practice landings as you would if you were trained by an instructor with no flight-sim time.

Ohh ohhkay Muzik...

Going by what you say, then THIS GAME WOULD NOT HELP ANYONE LEARN REAL DOGFIGHTING AT ALL either then?
Its just a game, has nothing in common with Real Life?!?!   ;)

No Goofy, I didn't say anything about air combat, but since you asked, no. If you are suggesting that you can learn what ACM is and get a general idea of how they work, then you would be correct. If you think you could jump into a ww2 aircraft, even a simplified one, and dogfight against a pilot who flys them, you would not.

Flight simulators are great for many things. Many people have and still do learn the basics of flying, does that mean that they all are capable of flying real aircraft? No! I'll use the same example I used with akak, landings take motor skills and coordination that you will not get from a PC. They take practice.

There are some people that are naturally coordinated and it does not take them much to pick these skills up. Flight instructors see them occasionally and call them naturals.

A kid from my area stole several airplanes and when he was caught he told police he learned to fly on pc flight simulators. He crashed five airplanes. Obviously, not a natural.

So back to your contention, yes, if someone had zero knowledge of flying or RC airplanes they can learn the basics. And when they take their RC plane up for the first time, it's going to have the same fiery death it would if they had read a how to book first. It's just going to fumble around longer in the air if they use a PC sim first.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

No truer statement has ever been spoken!

JUGgler

It was a question, don't confuse the boy. I think I hurt my neck in that double take.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
So you're saying you never had a hard landing or crashed your RC aircraft? I doubt it. The real life coordination does not translate to a pc game. It may be similar, but it will not be the same.

Where did I say that?  Surely not in any of my posts, I just said that using an RC flight sim can improve your RC flying skills and that's the simple truth. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 01:11:19 AM »
Where did I say that?  Surely not in any of my posts, I just said that using an RC flight sim can improve your RC flying skills and that's the simple truth. 

ack-ack

Seems we're having a disagreement on a definition here. You say that you can improve your RC skills with a sim. I hear "you can improve your RC coordination with a sim." Seems to be one and same to me.

If it was true, you wouldn't have to have real life flight time to get a pilots license.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 07:42:02 AM »
Seems we're having a disagreement on a definition here. You say that you can improve your RC skills with a sim. I hear "you can improve your RC coordination with a sim." Seems to be one and same to me.

If it was true, you wouldn't have to have real life flight time to get a pilots license.

Mmmmmbecause RC flying and physically flying an airplane is no different (nor should the FAA see it so). Maybe 100 hrs RC flying can get us a pilot's license with that kind of 'logic.'

(If this is where the discussion is being sarcastically dragged then we may as well talk about 24 plane bomber formations in AHII.)

:lol

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
Mmmmmbecause RC flying and physically flying an airplane is no different (nor should the FAA see it so). Maybe 100 hrs RC flying can get us a pilot's license with that kind of 'logic.'

(If this is where the discussion is being sarcastically dragged then we may as well talk about 24 plane bomber formations in AHII.)

:lol

I vote for in-cockpit beer dispensers, as well.  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
I vote for in-cockpit beer dispensers, as well.  :aok

:D

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:11 AM »

I think you are misunderstanding the definitions of "improving one`s skill" and "RC coordination". Real aircraft simulators used in training are usually procedure trainers and they are not used to learn landing or taking off (except procedures of course). The main stress is different procedures themselves (abnormal, emergency, IFR approaches etc). A simulator often handles differently compared to a real aircraft, but the procedures are the same. For example one can even use the MS Flight simulator to practice general NDB approach procedures if there is a way to detect mistakes made.

Real RC models handle different than simulated ones, but simulators are used to practice eye-hand coordination.  Improving one`s skill does not mean you become a pro eventually, but it helps to achieve and keep a certain level of proficiency. I know many RC flyers who used the sim to skip trainers and flew low wing aileron models successfully as their first RC model. Coordination and motor skills are a part of flying skill and in some situations your motor skills might actually be dangerous unless overcome by experience. 
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W