Author Topic: How to bomb tanks  (Read 2377 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
How to bomb tanks
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
Never been interested in this before but I am thinking of branching out considering the amount of tears I could extract from this activity, I think I have been missing out over the years. Is anyone really good at this? Is there some sort of how to guide or tips anyone could share? Where do I am aim? Whats the best plane loadout etc? Do I need a special sight for this?

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: How to bomb tanks
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
 :lol  I don't know how to bomb either. Apparently you have to be the right way up Perv.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
OK, I won't pretend to be an expert at this at all. Of course, dive 90 degrees nose down...bam.

I was reading some personal accounts of Fw-190F8s. One pilot said they would zoom over the battle field just a hundred feet off the deck. Fly right at the enemy tank and drop the bomb as soon as the tank disappeared from view from the nose. The bomb would hit perfectly.

I tried it in MA a few times and like magic I killed the tank every time. The problem, in real life this account noted they were using time delayed fuses. Thus score the hit with a fraction of a delay to get out of blast range. The few times I did this I killed the tank every time and either killed myself or caused damage every time. I responded by asking for time delayed bombs in-game.

I still want time delayed bombs for this purpose though I don't think AH will do so just for little 'ol me.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
Never been interested in this before but I am thinking of branching out considering the amount of tears I could extract from this activity, I think I have been missing out over the years. Is anyone really good at this? Is there some sort of how to guide or tips anyone could share? Where do I am aim? Whats the best plane loadout etc? Do I need a special sight for this?

You are welcome to come wing up with the 113th Lucky Strikes for a flight or a night, we flight as Knights in the LWA on Saturday evening vox 113.  We fly P38's in the attack mode and bomb just about everything in the arena.  We can assists in helping you discover the finer points of putting ords on the nme.

Check out our wiki page, lots of training films, and movies of 113th shutting down hangers, closing Vehicle bases and dropping on Tanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:35:00 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
3-4k alt, 250-350 MPH (depends on plane), 60-70 degree dive angle and release about 800-1000 above target.   Impact point of bomb is usually just a hair or two above the top part of your engine cowl when in a centered front view.  Don't overspeed, but do not be too slow either.  I use a double pipper site for JABO work.  The upper dot is used for aiming guns/cannon, the lower dot is used for the bomb drop position.  A fun side distraction is the hurricane IID.  Quite satisfying and I highly recommend it. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »

You should try the B-25H, with its 75mm cannon you can take out any GV in this game and you have 21 rounds to play with. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
The hardest part of bombing GVs is finding the suckers! I use 1k bombs close is good enough in most cases. 45 degree angle at any speed as long as you know you can pull out of the dive. Release when the target is just about to pass under your nose. The steeper the dive the closer to the pipper, or higher up off the cowling you release.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »
You should try the B-25H, with its 75mm cannon you can take out any GV in this game and you have 21 rounds to play with.  

ack-ack

Not to forget the 8 (I think) 500 pound bombs that come with it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:24 PM »
Pervert the key to accurate dive bombing is having a consistent dive angle, speed, and release height. If you practice with the green cross, TA or offline, you'll be able to develop a sight picture based on your consistent dive profile.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
Or use the Il2 with the Ns-37 set to 650.

Identify your tank or even wirbel. Be 1500-2000 straight above them because diving in at shallower angles invites the magical single shot main gun "Skeet Shot O'death" or a 20mm face enema. Almost all engine hatches are 19-43mm flat steel doors behind the turret. The Ns-37 round will breech that. Dive down using zoom and unload into that hatch. The new jagpanzers are softer from the sides.

Usual results are
a. smoking GV, destroyed wirbel\osti main gun.
b. dead GV in one pass.

Side benefit is a lot of E to maneuver your IL2 with. Besides, if you set your views right and time your ACM adding flaps into your maneuvers. You can furball with an Il2 and win. Never could do the F3 thing Ghi did though. 1000yd snap shots on the overshoot are do able because of setting the Ns-37 to 650. Not much different than hitting someone with the manned 37mm at 1000yds.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Best way to learn is go to the training arena and use the computed bomb impact marker that shows up automatically. Note your airspeed, your dive angle, and where your target is on the HUD when the bomb impact marker crosses the target. Work to get a consistent bomb delivery using that profile.

Then you can start practicing a low level profile to use when searching for GVs at low altitude. Usually you spot a target, pop up, roll into the target when it is at the correct angle below you, line up and release. That all happens fairly rapidly if your keeping the target in icon range.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:06:56 PM by doright »
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
At this link you can open the 1945 NAVY Glide Bombing manual.

They have a good description for how to use your gunsight to account for your bomb's slew when you make the kind of turn into the GV as close as Doright is describing. That's one of the reasons for the 45 degree lower quadrant rays in Mk8 gunsight reticle. As you turned into your target before stabilizing when your slew will throw your bomb off side into the direction you turned. You eyeball along the 45 degree line from your direction of turn. You see the same thing with the K14A rocket aide fixed reticle with it's two 45 degree rays orienting from 10Mil below the fixed center cross.

Lots of pictures. The NAVY understood pictures work for visually oriented pilots when it comes to these things.

http://aviationshoppe.com/wwii-us-navy-glide-bombing-how-to-do-it-a-66.html
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
since your a 190 loser,   

the F8 can take 1 bomb and 12 rockets.   If you get really maverick with these anti tank rockets you can get credit for and or outright kill them if you place it right in behind the turret.  I'd fire salvo 2 as close to the tank as I can get it from behind.

My personal favourites are the A20G with 8x 500lbers and a very good A2A fighter after you have dropped.
the mossie with 4 500lbs enough to dent any small scale GV infestation.

Dive bombing is easy locate your target pull vertical over them and make sure you keep an eye on them, much more difficult these days without the neon red sign saying "bomb here please"  Then fly straight at them just infront a little bit of lead on your drop so they drive right into the bomb.   Make sure you drop above 600 feet and leave enough room to pull out.  The ground and trees can be hazardous to your health. 

If ords are down then the il2, cannon stuka and Hurri 2D is what you have to work with.  Since the update the Hurri has been a little neutured but it can still kill most soft stuff with just 2 rounds.  A steep angle of attack down into behind the turret.   The IL2 and stuka can afford to be less precise just fly in and pop them from the rear. 

Watch out for crafty players like IV who can use a T34 turret like a SAM site  so make sure you toggle zoom and see if they are paying attention!   

Good luck and may the whines be plenty!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
I have found the Corsair easiest to work with in this role. It has a good climb with ords and dive brakes to limit overspeed in a dive. Dive brakes allow for a quick landing/reloading too. My aim is pretty lousy so I use 1000lb bombs to compensate for this. My graphic settings are pretty low so it is even harder to spot them. If you meet a pesky airfield camping ack such as myself then you can even turn off the "bump map terrain" to make spotting easier. Low flying both over land and water is hazardous with it selected off.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 04:04:31 AM »
I tried this last night...yeah, right :rofl

Couldn't even see them :furious

3-4k alt...

I couldn't see them at 1k.  When does the icon show up?  How are you seeing them at 3-4k alt?  Do I need to turn some kind of view on?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:15:30 AM by shoresroad »
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen