Author Topic: How to bomb tanks  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
Re: How to bomb tanks
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 05:05:41 AM »
Some good tips here already. Wirbs and osti shooting me down before could see their icon drove me to do this.

Here's one that helps locate gv from high above without using icons. I practiced this flying above vehicle bases to get the hang of it.

Concrete sitters are not good potential targets because they'll have plenty of time to bail before your bomb hits (unless they're engaged in heated gun battle).

1. Fly in a circle above ground fire range with your wingtip pointed at area where potential targets are. Like those big gun planes that shoot out the side.

2. Look down the wing. Toggle and adjust zoom to see any gunfire, movement in area, or something that shouldn't be there.

3. Once you've spotted a target get a good picture in your head of it's general location in relation to things around it.

4. Set up your fav dive bomb method, verify target still there as you dive, and....Bombs Away! For me a nearly vertical dive and early release once dive is stable works best.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:17:28 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Since the update the Hurri has been a little neutured

In which way? No changes have been made to the guns...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
I've long used the F6F-5 for Jabo work with 2 x 1000 lbs plus full rocket rails.

In the old days I wanted to start 10K over the battlefield diving anywhere from 30-60 degrees.  I picked 10K because a Wirble is accurate to 1.5K yards (4500') and an Osti to 2.5K (7500') so from 10K I had a chance to drop on them without spending much time in their guns range.  Angle didn't matter as much as stabilizing my dive path which often lead to a drop with my pipper on target somewhere between 1-2K yards from target with a single bomb dropped.  In this case angle is less critical due to the speed of the dive.

Since the rework of GV icons I still like to come in 10K AGL but I use my alt to make a scouting dive on the battlefield then zoom back.  If I spot something interesting on my scouting dive I simply loop over, keeping that position in sight and make my drop as I come back on a second dive, generally dropping at 800-1000 yards.  Alternately I sometimes come in at 5K making GV's easier to spot and wait for target identification.  Either way you carry less speed and dive stabilization takes you closer to the target so you generally have to aim ever so slightly beyond the target.

No matter what it's the combination of angle and speed that determines where you aim and your success is tied to your ability to stabilize your dive path.

After the bombs are gone I switch to and salvo 2 rockets.  Dive angles are now even less important and I go in anywhere from 10-60 degrees but want the target just disappearing under my nose in most cases.  Shallow angles on the rear of a Panzer will produce an outright kill.  I like to use steeper angles on flaks placing my rockets in the turret for a kill.  Heavier tanks will only take damage at best.

Using these tactics my best single sortie without rearming was 6 GV's.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:55:06 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
At this link you can open the 1945 NAVY Glide Bombing manual.

Lots of pictures. The NAVY understood pictures work for visually oriented pilots when it comes to these things.

http://aviationshoppe.com/wwii-us-navy-glide-bombing-how-to-do-it-a-66.html

Excellent manual. I wish I could download it. I'm not much into bombing but as you say, the pictures teach.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:35 AM »
I usually use a F6F because aiming the bombs are easy. With the F6, I just put my nose on where I want the bomb to drop and I drop; lead were applicable.

If I am going to a GV Battle I use the A20 and use F3. Using F3 just makes everything so much newbier/easier.

When going after flakkers I use the P47 because it can take more damage than any other GV bomber, besides the IL2 of course.

There really isn't anything to it, no tricks or cheats. Dive directly vertical on your target and drop before 1k.

Top Gun

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
When all else fails,,,,, use the Stuka  :airplane:   And an 1800 kg bomb,  within a city block should be close enough!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
Overall my problem with ground attack is icon range. I'm not sure if it is my computer settings but beyond ground icon range, which usually kicks in around 600m, sometimes 800m, the ground target is invisible to me. At what I am guessing would be 1.5k I do not see trees, etc so I am unable to circle the battlefield, see the GV, then make a loop, keeping a mental note (just past those trees), fly at it, see the GV at slightly beyond 1k, icon kicks in at 600m and I line up for the drop.

I am guessing it is my monitor settings but it's like a blind man trying to find a line at McDonalds.  :x Thus, the reason when I read the Fw-190F8 method I instantly tried it out. Works but killed me every time. Flying madhat over the battlefield, seeing a target at 800m and making a last minute correction then releasing as soon as it disappears below the nose is easy enough.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 05:16:12 PM »
Some great stuff in here thanks  :salute

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
  One of the tactics I've seen other use is to work in pairs to kill tanks.  One spots the tank, and marks it with guns. The second plane dive bombs the spot the first was marking.  I've only seen this done on a few occasions, but it was very effective.

Of course, some of the easiest tank kills I've ever made myself was when I bombed the vehicle hanger, and caught a tank or two in the process.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
I just found this thread, and am quite disappointed.  All this time I've been assuming that Pervert was some sort of GV-killing demigod, and now I find out he's just a tyro.  So now I'm wondering what motivated all his anti-GV posts such as the following from the WishList Forum?

Another idea to take some of the bombing pressure off perk GVs might be to substitute a generic GV icon for the current ones which indicate the GV type.  This would be what you see from a plane; from a GV, things would stay the same.  Or perhaps have 2 icons when seen from the air, with one saying "GV", and another saying "Flak".

That way, you wouldn't have attack aircraft preferentially targeting perk tanks.  This wouldn't be a complete solution to the current need for GV-friendly portions of the map, but would at least improve things a bit.  

MH

This is a really stupid wish  :rofl I want no one to shoot me down please HTC  :old:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:24:03 PM by TDeacon »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
It looks to me that he was mocking your "wish". Basically most of us see the wish as " I want no one to shoot me down please HTC".

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »
I just found this thread, and am quite disappointed.  All this time I've been assuming that Pervert was some sort of GV-killing demigod, and now I find out he's just a tyro.  So now I'm wondering what motivated all his anti-GV posts such as the following from the WishList Forum?

Please stick to game help and training in this forum.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 03:28:19 AM »
I disagree wholeheartedly with Bruv :old:

I have in fact found a use for the 410 :old:

It can despatch GV's with its cannon :old:

The Hawker Typhoon is also very good with a salvo of 2 carrying 1000 pounders at a delay of 0.06 :old:

Just drop slightly behind said GV at approximately 1000 to 1050 height :old:

We need the ability of tanks using main gun to shoot planes down removing from game :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 04:30:01 AM »
I have in fact found a use for the 410 :old:

You smell of sausages and wear leather shorts  :old:
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
Please stick to game help and training in this forum.

You mean like the 2nd post in the thread?

:lol  I don't know how to bomb either. Apparently you have to be the right way up Perv.