Author Topic: ENY limits based on all players, not InFlight.... WHY??  (Read 1268 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: ENY limits based on all players, not InFlight.... WHY??
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
The P-51 would dictate the fight and make a zillion high speed passes at the I-16.  Either cumulative damage or running out of gas would doom the I-16.  The P-51 pilot wouldn't even need to be equal of the I-16 pilot for this to happen.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:27:29 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
I have the complete opposite thinking from this. If we were to take a pilot who is best of the best, makes no mistakes, and make a clone of him so that we have two pilots with perfectly even skill levels, and we put 1 of them in an i-16 and the other in a P-51D, then my thinking is the fight would be a draw

Only if both pilots are very inept. Put some sticks with some experience in it, and the Pony will absolute dominate the fight... unless you are going to introduce some arbitrary "dueling rules" to negate the Pony's advantages. The pony pilot can also leave the fight at any point.. the I-16 pilot can't.

Flying a plane with substantially lesser performace is a handicap.. a handicap that can, against lesser pilots, be overcome with skill and experience, but you can push things only so far.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:33:00 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
Yes, the P-51 could out last the i-16 until he ran out of gas, but I'm just talking about as long as both pilots could fight back. You can't really fight without fuel  :D . If both planes had infinite fuel and ammo and the fight was only decided by one of them dying then I believe it was be a draw if both pilots were of perfectly equal skills. Planes are just our weapons which we choose to kill with. A rock can kill just as well as a 357 magnum.

This is just my thoughts on the matter of plane or pilot skills, and why I continue to try to sharpen my skills every day.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »
Latrobe,

P-51D will use aggressive BnZ attacks to drain the E out of the I-16 and then kill it when it can't dodge anymore.  There is nothing the skilled I-16 pilot can do to avoid that against a skilled P-51D pilot.

I have done this to many a slow, agile, poorly accelerating aircraft and at low altitudes my preferred mount is pretty parable to the P-51D for that kind of attack.  The trick is to not give your opponent the time he needs to rebuild the E he lost dodging you.

It is even more lopsided when you make the planes the P-40C vs the Spitfire Mk XVI.  Zeros have more of a fighting chance than the I-16, F4F or Brewster because they build E back a lot faster and blow less dodging.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »
Yes, the P-51 could out last the i-16 until he ran out of gas, but I'm just talking about as long as both pilots could fight back.

P-51 will still totally dominate the fight as long as it's pilot has some minimum level of a clue. The I-16 pilot's only hope is the Pony will mess things up at some point, else he wont even get a guns solution.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
Latrobe you just coined a new expression "Don't take a rock to a.gun fight"
Pies not kicks.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 10:48:35 AM »
Maybe it's just my mindset. I believe in no excuses. It's either you do it, or you don't. Whenever I die I don't make the excuse that "Oh, he was a P-51 and I was an i-16 so I didn't stand a chance." I died because he was more skilled than me. I look for the point where I made a mistake and fix it so next time I'm the more skilled pilot and I kill the P-51 in my i-16.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »
Being reasonable has nothing to do with excuses.  :old:

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Just because it can't be done, doesn't mean it can't be done.  :old:  ;)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
Just because it can't be done, doesn't mean it can't be done.  :old:  ;)

I have to go to my meditation chamber to think about that 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Being reasonable has nothing to do with excuses.  :old:
This.

Both aircraft flown to their maximum potential, physics dictates that the P-51D will win.  That isn't an excuse, it is simply reality.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 11:14:12 AM »
This.

Both aircraft flown to their maximum potential, physics dictates that the P-51D will win.  That isn't an excuse, it is simply reality.

I find great pleasure in finding ways to max it possible. I enjoy making the impossible possible.  :)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »
I think that it is time to re-think ENY.  When it hits 20 or 25+ the game just stops being enjoyable.  For example, it is frustrating when for example the Nits are low in numbers and "causing" the issue and as Bish you are going after Rocks (who might be somewhat close to your side in numbers).  

Is there anyway to perhaps cause ENY to only apply to certain bases?  For example, using the above, have ENY apply only to forward bases say within 2 or 3 sectors of Nits bases?  (This might work better on certain maps - or perhaps different rule sets for different size maps?)

Just a thought...

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
Latrobe,

P-51D will use aggressive BnZ attacks to drain the E out of the I-16 and then kill it when it can't dodge anymore.  There is nothing the skilled I-16 pilot can do to avoid that against a skilled P-51D pilot.

I have done this to many a slow, agile, poorly accelerating aircraft and at low altitudes my preferred mount is pretty parable to the P-51D for that kind of attack.  The trick is to not give your opponent the time he needs to rebuild the E he lost dodging you.

It is even more lopsided when you make the planes the P-40C vs the Spitfire Mk XVI.  Zeros have more of a fighting chance than the I-16, F4F or Brewster because they build E back a lot faster and blow less dodging.
ehh well if someone is really good they can dodge AND get a quick gun solution on the 51...possibly a kill shot.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
ehh well if someone is really good they can dodge AND get a quick gun solution on the 51...possibly a kill shot.

Yes, that's what I meant to say, but didn't.  :o