Author Topic: PBY Catalina  (Read 1027 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
PBY Catalina
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
General characteristics
Crew: 10 — pilot, co-pilot, bow turret gunner, flight engineer, radio operator, navigator, radar operator, two waist gunners, ventral gunner
Length: 63 ft 10 7/16 in (19.46 m)
Wingspan: 104 ft 0 in (31.70 m)
Height: 21 ft 1 in (6.15 m)
Wing area: 1,400 ft² (130 m²)
Empty weight: 20,910 lb (9,485 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 35,420 lb (16,066 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp radial engines, 1,200 hp (895 kW each) each
Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0309
Drag area: 43.26 ft² (4.02 m²)
Aspect ratio: 7.73
Performance
Maximum speed: 196 mph (314 km/h)
Cruise speed: 125 mph (201 km/h)
Range: 2,520 mi (4,030 km)
Service ceiling: 15,800 ft (4,000 m)
Rate of climb: 1,000 ft/min (5.1 m/s)
Wing loading: 25.3 lb/ft² (123.6 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.034 hp/lb (0.056 kW/kg)
Lift-to-drag ratio: 11.9
Armament
3× .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns (two in nose turret, one in ventral hatch at tail)
2× .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns (one in each waist blister)
4,000 lb (1,814 kg) of bombs or depth charges; torpedo racks were also available

Awesome bird, needs to be included in AH2. Useful for island hopping and supplying fields   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:51:14 PM by XxDaSTaRxx »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: PBY Catalina
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
General characteristics
Crew: 10 — pilot, co-pilot, bow turret gunner, flight engineer, radio operator, navigator, radar operator, two waist gunners, ventral gunner
Length: 63 ft 10 7/16 in (19.46 m)
Wingspan: 104 ft 0 in (31.70 m)
Height: 21 ft 1 in (6.15 m)
Wing area: 1,400 ft² (130 m²)
Empty weight: 20,910 lb (9,485 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 35,420 lb (16,066 kg)
Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92 Twin Wasp radial engines, 1,200 hp (895 kW each) each
Zero-lift drag coefficient: 0.0309
Drag area: 43.26 ft² (4.02 m²)
Aspect ratio: 7.73
Performance
Maximum speed: 196 mph (314 km/h)
Cruise speed: 125 mph (201 km/h)
Range: 2,520 mi (4,030 km)
Service ceiling: 15,800 ft (4,000 m)
Rate of climb: 1,000 ft/min (5.1 m/s)
Wing loading: 25.3 lb/ft² (123.6 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.034 hp/lb (0.056 kW/kg)
Lift-to-drag ratio: 11.9
Armament
3× .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns (two in nose turret, one in ventral hatch at tail)
2× .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns (one in each waist blister)
4,000 lb (1,814 kg) of bombs or depth charges; torpedo racks were also available

Awesome bird, needs to be included in AH2. Useful for island hopping and supplying fields   :cheers:
:airplane: Been asked for serveral times, but don't know if any plans to include one or not

Just to add a little flavor to your post!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline TGG93

• Copper Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
My wish for seaplanes in general a few months ago:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,350472.0.html

Can only wait and hope!
The Few.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
Karnak will be along shortly with how the H8K is vastly superior in every way and should be the flying boat of choice.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »
Karnak will be along shortly with how the H8K is vastly superior in every way and should be the flying boat of choice.
Nope.  I saw this when it was posted.  Let this thread be about the PBY.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »
-1, so much other stuff to be added first.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
-1, so much other stuff to be added first.
:airplane: I think the only way that a PBY would work in this game is if it was invisible to radar! Otherwise, it would be meat on the table for the score hounds in here. At least if it couldn't be seen on radar, it would have a 1/2 way chance of contributing to the game by hunting CV groups.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
:airplane: I think the only way that a PBY would work in this game is if it was invisible to radar! Otherwise, it would be meat on the table for the score hounds in here. At least if it couldn't be seen on radar, it would have a 1/2 way chance of contributing to the game by hunting CV groups.

Maybe it doesn't show up on radar until it's within some K's of the cv? Because invisible to radar is sort of.. unbalanced, IMO.

Not sure if these can be added unless the water textures are changed too. I think the water would need an overhaul before any aircraft like the PBY could even be used.     I'm not so sure it's so simple as "Add PT qualities HERE and add plane qualities HERE" for it to work. But if it is, then I'm all for it. If it isn't, I'm not sure how much of HTC's resources would be used in re-creating the water textures, and what that would do in terms of graphics usage.

Just my perspective though.   :salute
 :airplane:
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »
-1  Many more other things need to be added
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 12:54:28 PM »
I'm a +1  :aok on this one. Historically, it was a very significant aircraft, and would give ports another function as a seaplane base.  I totally disagree with making it radar invisible in any way shape or form, however.  I would not, on the other hand, be against giving it some added ability to mark the location of enemy fleets on the map.  For instance, have an enemy CV icon appear on the map, with it's current course marked with an arrow.  This idea is not without precedence; witness the special availability and spotting capabilities of the Storch.   This CV icon would remain visible on the map to all players on the same side as the PBY spotting the enemy CV for as long as the PBY remains within some specified range of the CV.  This should be an arena variable that can be turned on and off by the arena admin.

As far as it being overly vulnerable, it would be no more so than some other aircraft in the game.  It has a decent defensive armament, compared with some other AC of a similar size.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
I'm a +1  :aok on this one. Historically, it was a very significant aircraft, and would give ports another function as a seaplane base.  I totally disagree with making it radar invisible in any way shape or form, however.  I would not, on the other hand, be against giving it some added ability to mark the location of enemy fleets on the map.  For instance, have an enemy CV icon appear on the map, with it's current course marked with an arrow.  This idea is not without precedence; witness the special availability and spotting capabilities of the Storch.   This CV icon would remain visible on the map to all players on the same side as the PBY spotting the enemy CV for as long as the PBY remains within some specified range of the CV.  This should be an arena variable that can be turned on and off by the arena admin.

As far as it being overly vulnerable, it would be no more so than some other aircraft in the game.  It has a decent defensive armament, compared with some other AC of a similar size.

I've suggested something similar in the past, however as far as how long the boat is visible, I wouldn't have it be tied to the proximity of the PBY, but make it a "last spotted" thing. Say, PBY approaches the boat and the clipboard map updates. So long as the PBY is in continuous contact with the CV, its position is continually refreshed. If the PBY is shot down or leaves X distance, the boat's icon remains on the map as a "Last Known Position" for a period of time (whether it's 15-30mins, or whatever) before being removed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »
Nice addition, Saxman.  I like it.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
+1 its a chunk of history
Peanut1 in game.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
+1 its a chunk of history

So are cavalry charges.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
So are cavalry charges.

Imma start a thread to have cavalry added to WWI arena.