Author Topic: R/C mode please!  (Read 1691 times)

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
Re: R/C mode please!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding the definitions of "improving one`s skill" and "RC coordination".

I don't believe I am and you did a pretty good job of proving my point.

Real aircraft simulators used in training are usually procedure trainers and they are not used to learn landing or taking off (except procedures of course).

That's what I just said.

I am well aware of what PC flight training is used for and it's strength is exactly what you said, procedural work. Those things that are almost exactly the same in the airplane as they are in a sim. IFR flight for example.

A simulator often handles differently compared to a real aircraft

And again you supported my statement

but the procedures are the same.

Procedures are not at issue here because as far as I am aware, there aren't really any procedures in flying RC.

Real RC models handle different than simulated ones

Hence, whatever motor-skill/coordination improvement you gain from flying a sim will not make you a better RC pilot, UNLESS you are referring to someone who had no experience with them what so ever. In that case, they will learn basic motor skills and could likely, NOT guaranteed, do better than if they started out flying the real thing.

Improving one`s skill does not mean you become a pro eventually,

Now we're getting somewhere. It wont make you a pro!? Why not? If it improves your skill, then why would it stop improving your skill at some arbitrary skill level?

but it helps to achieve and keep a certain level of proficiency.

In other words, it keeps you from forgetting the basics. But then again, all of this assumes you are using a remote control that resembles the same types you use to fly RC.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
Oh look, it's my pet third-ankle.

Mmmmmbecause RC flying and physically flying an airplane is no different

Smart as ever I see.

may as well talk about 24 plane bomber formations in AHII.

LOL still jealous about that?

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Oh look, it's my pet third-ankle.

Smart as ever I see.

LOL still jealous about that?

Myeah. Because stupid is something to be jealous of.  :huh

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
Myeah. Because stupid is something to be jealous of.  :huh

lol, should I count how many times you've brought it up in a completely unrelated thread?

sit boy, sit.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »
lol, should I count how many times you've brought it up in a completely unrelated thread?

sit boy, sit.
Held off quite awhile, actually. Logic isn't your forte. But yeah, you really are a waste of my (and most everyone else's) time. This really isn't for you. :)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 07:19:06 AM »
I am well aware of what PC flight training is used for and it's strength is exactly what you said, procedural work. Those things that are almost exactly the same in the airplane as they are in a sim. IFR flight for example.

Procedures are not at issue here because as far as I am aware, there aren't really any procedures in flying RC.
I agree but why did you say the following?
Seems we're having a disagreement on a definition here. You say that you can improve your RC skills with a sim. I hear "you can improve your RC coordination with a sim." Seems to be one and same to me.

If it was true, you wouldn't have to have real life flight time to get a pilots license.
I did not understand why you brought in the real life example above if you understand why they are used. That is why I wrote about the procedures and stuff. Real aircraft simulators are usually operated after the basic skills have been mastered. RC sim is used to learn the basic skills for people who have no previous experience as you stated too.

Now we're getting somewhere. It wont make you a pro!? Why not? If it improves your skill, then why would it stop improving your skill at some arbitrary skill level?

In other words, it keeps you from forgetting the basics. But then again, all of this assumes you are using a remote control that resembles the same types you use to fly RC.
The simulator improves one`s skill to a basic level. You already stated yourself why it does not make anyone a master at RC flying. Basic skill level is the arbitrary level and it is better than just reading a manual. Touching the remote and operating the controls make your reaction faster. Reading the manual gives understanding but you still have to think what stick to move for a necessary result. Simulator practice makes eye-hand coordination a lot faster. Besides complete beginners the simulators are useful for others too. One of the best F3A pilots in my country uses the sim from time to time to keep him forgetting the competition flight routine.

The simulator transmitter unit only has to be the same mode as the one used for real model flying. Other buttons are pretty irrelevant.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
I did not understand why you brought in the real life example above if you understand why they are used.

It's hard to tell for sure at this point, but either you haven't read the thread and are confused or you are just confused as to who said what.

One of us said that flying RC sims improves your skill. I am the other guy.

Sims give you a basic understanding, they do not make you even remotely proficient. That goes for real aircraft or RC. If they did, you could fly either one without incident the very first time with enough practice.

Basic skill level is the arbitrary level and it is better than just reading a manual. 

You started to sound like you agreed with everything I already stated... that you stated... I already stated....  until you said that.   :rolleyes:

"the manual comment..." If you took two people with roughly the same coordination and put one on an RC sim and gave the other a manual and a real RC aircraft... The guy with the manual will almost guaranteed crash the first day. Give the other guy a month to play that RC sim as much as he wanted, and he will STILL crash his first real RC a/c the first day.

The comment was slight hyperbole, but I'd put money on it...

Touching the remote and operating the controls make your reaction faster.

..."faster" at what?  Flying a RC simulator, not a real RC because as you stated... that I stated...

...simulators used in training are usually procedure trainers and they are not used to learn landing or taking off

...Real RC models handle different than simulated ones

One of the best F3A pilots in my country uses the sim from time to time to keep him forgetting the competition flight routine.

This is a GREAT example... of procedural use. He's not using it to practice the hand eye coordination of his routine. He is using it to remember what turns to make and when.

The simulator transmitter unit only has to be the same mode as the one used for real model flying. Other buttons are pretty irrelevant.

:headscratch: This whole conversation is specifically about hand to eye coordination flying an RC and I never said anything about any buttons. Anyway, the point was, using the typical joystick for an RC sim, then going to a remote control and flying a real RC, would do zilch for your "RC skills." Which, by the way is what would happen if the OP got his wish.

Now, I'm going to bow out. I got nothing against RC guys, just wanted to say that I don't believe this is the place for such a feature unless AH had MA populations of 1k or more. Until that time, focus should be on adding features that support the core game.

Now I state what I already stated, that I will bow out, so you can restate what I already stated if you wish.  :D

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »
How would you aim?

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 10:49:04 PM »
Held off quite awhile, actually. Logic isn't your forte.

My logic got a lot closer to a workable idea than your AI army guys. lol

you really are a waste of my (and most everyone else's) time.

And yet every time I look down at my ankle, you're still there. And to show my appreciation for your ankle worship, one of these days I will do a BBS montage of all your ankle humping. It will be a hoot.

So until next time, keep it coming pic boy.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
And to show my appreciation for your ankle worship, one of these days I will do a BBS montage of all your ankle humping. It will be a hoot.

Now's a good time, if you really are up to it.  :aok

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:01:14 AM by Arlo »

Offline Windycty

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
+1   :joystick:  I have a R/C simulator transmitter from Hangar 9 that would work great for this wish.
"Four fried chickens and a Coke"