Author Topic: Have you lost any energy?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
Have you lost any energy?
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »
A very common 1vs1 fight goes like this.  Two planes from opposing sides see each other, and turn towards each other.  As the two planes pass each other (guns blazing usually), one plane goes into a hard horizontal turn.  The other plane does an immelman (pulls vertical until inverted, rolls out wings level).  The plane that uses the vertical maneuvering, has he actually lost any energy?  He's traded his kinetic energy into potential, right?
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Have you lost any energy?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
Pulling any G's will use E, so he does lose some E to pull the G's to perform an immelman. He does however now have the altitude advantage since the other guy pulls a flat turn. Plus, as you said, he has converted his kinetic energy into potential energy.

Looking at speeds alone, the guy who pulls the flat turn has more E. Looking at it positionally, the guy who pulls the immelman has the advantage and I think positioning is more important that speed.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
with WW2 era aircraft in most cases maneuvering is going to result in an overall net loss of E, where the advantage lies is managing those loses better than your opponent and buying an advantage with the E you do spend.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
Pulling any G's will use E, so he does lose some E to pull the G's to perform an immelman. He does however now have the altitude advantage since the other guy pulls a flat turn. Plus, as you said, he has converted his kinetic energy into potential energy.

Looking at speeds alone, the guy who pulls the flat turn has more E. Looking at it positionally, the guy who pulls the immelman has the advantage and I think positioning is more important that speed.

I better stop flat turning at the merge and go for the imel so I can get the advantage then  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
 most planes I encounter run after the first turn

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »
I don't think it counts as running when they are on your six doing it..... ;) j/k <S>
To the op I enjoy that scenario and know if they DON'T come in guns blazing it will be a good fight. But being the MA, the e loss of neither will matter when the three cons drop in to "assist".

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:21:06 PM »
i ran out of energy just reading that...  :rofl   :neener:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
That's because they're laughing at the dogfighting A20. Clearly he's drunk and doesn't know what he's doing.  :huh
Lighten up Francis

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
I better stop flat turning at the merge and go for the imel so I can get the advantage then  :rofl
   :lol
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
That's because they're laughing at the dogfighting A20. Clearly he's drunk and doesn't know what he's doing.  :huh

yes clearly drunk,ignor all A20s,they are harmless...... carry on  :cheers:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »

I believe E is always considered as the combination of potential and kinetic, so the guy who turned flat might have more speed, but not more E. Not unless he merged with a lot more speed than the other guy.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »

I believe E is always considered as the combination of potential and kinetic, so the guy who turned flat might have more speed, but not more E. Not unless he merged with a lot more speed than the other guy.

Well I'm not very smart, so I just consider E and speed the same thing.  :)

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
Remember, in these scenarios, we are just examining one variable.  Same exact planes, same load-out, same pilot skill.  Yes, the 'E' I am talking about is Kinetic + Potential.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
So what's your point?  :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:13 PM »
Well I'm not very smart, so I just consider E and speed the same thing.  :)
hehe.. well I think you're plenty smart enough to shoot me down and I wouldn't want you to get any smarter by that token. But knowledge is not to do with smart. Smart is the processor speed and knowledge in on the hard drive. :) Einstein was wrong, E=Alt+Speed  not mc2
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.