Author Topic: Why, just why?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why, just why?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
It's the MA.  Sh^t happens.

Even I've done what the OP described once several years ago.  I got sooo frustrated one night I grabbed a Dora and went screaming into a base simply to vulch my oppressors.  It was a great stress reliever and made me feel better afterward.

Now I have to ask this question; did this person's undoubtedly short-lived vulching effors stop the "grand fight"?  My guess is no.  So why worry about it?  You were having your fun, they were having their fun.  The MA is a giant sandbox and what was described isn't against any rules that I know of.  Do I approve of it?  Probably not but I wouldn't get so worked up over it that I'd have to post on the BBs and hey, who cares if I approve or not?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »
IMO, if you can't give someone a sporting chance to beat you, the AH community would be better if you quit.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

Tru-dat.

Try to give Morf a break sometimes though so we can get him up with the squad on Tuesdays.   :aok

JG11 is much nicer then VF-17, I have to train them Monday and Thursday nights along with my other trainer duty's Tuesday and Wednesdays. They never give me a day off :cry  Bunch of freakin Pirates :lol  Well I guess FSO is my day off :D

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »
IMO, if you can't give someone a sporting chance to beat you, the AH community would be better if you quit.

If that applied to everyone, AH would be a small community.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 08:31:48 PM »
If that applied to everyone, AH would be a small community.

Well, I guess it would be small then. If living means so much to you in a cartoon game that you can't give someone a sporting chance, I'd almost go so far as to say you don't deserve to play the game.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 08:32:52 PM »
nah, we all like a little entertainment and watching the failures is fun.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »

Marquess of Queensberry Rules don't apply in dogfights.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
"  I was just looking at one specific act that a new person, trying to learn the game, might see and decide "well if this is how the game is played, I will go back to <insert other game here>"

My humble .02

I am just over a year playing this great product of a game..... The problem for me was, I would look for a DA Gentalmans code of conduct in the MA. This just is not going to happen. I would be involved in a 2v1 and holding my own possibly could kill one.... Untill 3 others would show up, and did they watch or make it a 5 vs 1... Well we know the answer.

Dueling in the DA with gentalmen is a total different game than the MA. Took me a year too learn this fact of Aces High.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »
Well, I guess it would be small then...

More likely out of business than small. Do you see how that could be a problem?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
I was playing a different game last night and our team wasn't doing too well. We were 3rd out of 3 and the game was rolling in on the halfway point when one player who wasn't happy with his team started ranting like it was the end of the world and saying we were all 'newbs'. Three minutes of arguing ensued when he made a rather curious statement. I don't remember the exact words but it was along the lines of "Why should I help newb players!?" (BTW, spoilers! We didn't listen to the idiot and ended up coming 2nd!  :D )

Yes, why should you help new players? After all you are basically a god of this game compared to new players. Yet, you seem to lose whenever you have a new player on your team! The answer is you help new players so they aren't 'newbs' and they become better. Then maybe you won't have to complain about their skill level anymore!  :aok

I wonder if new players to AH2 search "Aces High Tutorial" on YouTube? Vudu's videos should be linked onto the clipboard in game!  ;) :rock

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »

Yea right, ALL engagements should start co-alt, guns cold merge and no shots should be allowed unless in the 4 to 7 quadrant.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 09:14:35 PM »

If I knew people did this to me when I was new I would have quit the game. It's probably just me but I want people to come at me with everything they've got! I like a challenge!  :D

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
If I knew people did this to me when I was new I would have quit the game. It's probably just me but I want people to come at me with everything they've got! I like a challenge!  :D

and you're always a good fight  :salute

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »
JG11 is much nicer then VF-17, I have to train them Monday and Thursday nights along with my other trainer duty's Tuesday and Wednesdays. They never give me a day off :cry  Bunch of freakin Pirates :lol  Well I guess FSO is my day off :D

:salute
BigRat

Morf has no time for the guys in the squad.  Always volunteering his 'playing' time to helping new players out, that one is.  We don't train much anymore...just throw guys in the pit vrs. Hopper.  If they don't quit, cry, or get muted...they're good to go. 

Great posts as always. Latrobe.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
Over the few years I've been here there have been several ideas of how to handle new players. To my knowledge AH has not taken up any of these. Apparently they are bad ideas but without any response clearly this means more to us than the owners.

I've been frustrated with this and have noted this. I've also spent time thinking why. I know that when people post they attempt to fly realistic flights they are attacked for being tepid, not aggressive enough. Taken to an extreme I suppose I guess. Taken to the other extreme this game is arcadish with hos, vulches, and hordes.

A culture of excellence needs to take hold. The younger sticks will not get this, the older ones likely will. Organized missions seem to change the nature of the beast. Not only does it add some order to the fight but it also brings teamwork, which tends to be the opposite of ho, vulch and horde.

Would more missions make a difference?

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton