Author Topic: MA Off-peak is dying  (Read 14579 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: MA Off-peak is dying
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
^^^this would make me leave after 10+ years :salute

same here, i enjoy dropping bombs on GV's

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
As someone who has played this game since beta I have been recently underwhelmed with the quality of A2A fights.  I remember back in my golden years we'd be up till 5 am sometimes flying, some of the best fights were after midnight!  Dunno what happened.

++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
As someone who has played this game since beta I have been recently underwhelmed with the quality of A2A fights.  I remember back in my golden years we'd be up till 5 am sometimes flying, some of the best fights were after midnight!  Dunno what happened.

Everybody decided that if you aren't a base horder you're worthless.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »

One could fight practically 24/7. This Game used to cause a lot more...sick days...and divorces then it does now.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »
One could fight practically 24/7. This Game used to cause a lot more...sick days...and divorces then it does now.

<S>

Maybe that is a sign we are starting to grown up finally. :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
^^^this would make me leave after 10+ years :salute

Why? I'm in no way suggesting replacing LWMA with F-town...just kicking out an idea for those who want an A2A and nothing more than A2A.   ::::shrugs:::

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
Many have made good points....

I have to say that after not playing this game at all for (I think) 7 years.... then returning.... I was shocked at how little this game has changed.  I play quite a few games, Lock on, Call of duty, World of Warcraft, IL2, Falcon4, and so on.  Some of the games I play have not changed much in years.  Others.... the most popular ones.... rarely stay the same for more than a year or two. 

Change can be good and bad but it almost always keeps people invested from what I have observed.  Just my humble opinion here..... but AH could really use some new "Content"  What that content should be I will leave up to others.  Its clear that the game is not growing.  In fact is has less people online than when I left.

That being said.... I flew some sorties last night and had a ball.

Dave/Vorc

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »
I flew some sorties last night and had a ball.

That's what it's about!  :aok

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
Something I was thinking about after I posted in another thread.

The game is really struggling at the moment in the off-peak hours.With 50 people logged on the MA is not much fun .When you look at country numbers
there are about 30% of people "in flight" . So they are either in gv's or sitting in the tower looking for something to do , or afk.

The usual pattern is a bunch of gv'ers wandering around somewhere , 10 people in buffs bombing strats and undefended fields,
leaving about 6 or 7 people flying fighter planes looking for some sort of fight or engagement.

So what typically happens is I log on - look around the map  - see occasional little blips of radar across the map  (buffs usually)
so I either log off , fly around for a while bored , or go make a coffee , (1 more sitting in the tower).

I know people whine about the old days all the time , but this didnt happen in the old days because "everyone" was flying a plane.

So I was thinking of a couple of solutions.

1. Numbers in MA hit < 75  , GV's are unavailable.

and/or

2. Numbers in MA <75 , Map switches automatically to a small map (finish the war - give everyone some perks)

This problem at the moment is self-perpetuating , less people in the air = no fights = less people logging on to fly.

I know this will probably sound silly to some an unplalatable to others , but I can't see the numbers heading anywhere but down given where they are at now. At it's heart and soul Aces High has always been about Air Combat , we need some off-peak.

The game used to have a pretty strong community of people outside the US flying in off-peak , along with the shift workers an US night owls , they are dissappearing.
:airplane: I agree with you that we need to do something to re-generate some interest in off hours. I know that I will get some negative feed back, but I think that Hi Tech needs to make the game more attractive by expanding the overall aspects of the game. Sure, the new terrain will help some, but some of the suggestions that I have posted in the "wish" section, the addition of the LST's, the addition of the manufacturing plant,(suggested by someone else), connected to rail yards are two that come to mind right now. The factory idea would certainly add a whole new perspective to the game, as it could be assaulted with not only aircraft, but tanks and or surface vessels. Submarines would also be a good addition also.
I know this game was built as a "flight" simulator, using WW2 aircraft and is by far the best on line, but I would bet that we are not tapping over 5% of the players who would play, if we had a more expanded Navy presents, not to mention, foot soldiers. Wouldn't it be a "hoot" to have, when you are a foot soldier, a WW2 bazooka instead of a .45 pistol. Then we would have a real reason for the Pentil guns on the GV's.
Just my thoughts!
Now that my wife, Barbara is confined to a nursing home, with no hopes of ever coming home again, this game is the only thing which I look forward each day and I respect each and every player in this game. (Just wish they would quit shooting down my bombers, LOL)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:38:03 PM by earl1937 »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Change can be good and bad but it almost always keeps people invested from what I have observed.  Just my humble opinion here..... but AH could really use some new "Content"  What that content should be I will leave up to others. 

I still would be interested to hear what kind of 'new content' you are thinking about in general. In the 7 years we got a lot of new content added to AH: 26 planes and 13 vehicles (not counting the refurbished ones), new terrain and graphic improvements, new strategic system, new arenas, entirely new vehicle control system. So I would assume you are thinking about new gameplay mechanisms?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2013, 05:38:56 PM »
Why? I'm in no way suggesting replacing LWMA with F-town...just kicking out an idea for those who want an A2A and nothing more than A2A.   ::::shrugs:::

If you made just a Fighter town it would look like the WWi arena in no time.

A GV arena might do alright, but that would take even more players out of the Main and we are running low now.

I've been saying the fights are drying up for a while now. More and more players are STAYING in the horde instead of moving on to become a more accomplished player. Todays players seem to be ok with being mediocre. When I first started here and was handed my butt by Wldthng, or Dreid, or any of those "aces" back then it made me want to get better so I could give it back to them. Most of us did.

As time has gone on more and more player don't want to bother to put in the time to get better at fighting or bombing or GVin. They seem to be happy with just hanging in that gang and rolling base after base with numbers instead of with skill. Why dogfight when your just going to lawndart dropping ords anyway.... your teammates NEED the hanger down!... and just up another one just in case. Why learn to hit targets with single bombs when you and 12 of your friends are just going to carpet bomb EVERYTHING anyway. And GVin is the worst. COD with tanks! Run around with your hair on fire trying to kill more than you are killed  :rolleyes:

Defenders hardly defend... especially against 5-7 on 1 odds, why bother? How many players are good enough to stand even a small chance at doing that? Attacking  LOL!!! better use a fast plane with cannons to get there and put enough rounds in to get a kill before your 10 buddies get there. It's how "gamers" play.

If history isn't the draw any more what is? What will draw players in who want to fight, A2A, base to base and so on? While I look forward to the new graphic updates, I hope there are some game play adjustments coming as well.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
Defenders hardly defend... especially against 5-7 on 1 odds, why bother? How many players are good enough to stand even a small chance at doing that?

Here's a very fun thing to do -- it's one of my favorite situations in the MA.  When you see a field getting swamped, go there and up A-20's from the hangar (not the airfield).  If the odds are huge against you, yes, you get shot down a lot, but the A-20 can take enough damage to give you some shots the enemies as well.  It is very satisfying to get some of that swarm, and the beauty is that you can go up again right away and get into action immediately -- no waiting.  ;)  (Well, unless they take down bomber hangars.)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
The game is boring.

Too many fly around in their own ack hoping it'll do their job for them.
Too many worried about score and avoid fights at all costs.
Scoring system is a joke.
50 ton tank stopped dead in it's tracks by bushes.
Spitfires fighting Mustangs.
PT boats and torpedo planes are worthless against CV ack. Can't even get within range before you're shot down.
All towns and bases look the same on every map.
Maps are too big and not enough maps in the rotation.
Finding yourself in a 5 vs 1 is the norm not the exception.
No trains or armed convoys to blow up anymore.
No factories spread out across various places on the maps......just packed in one spot protected by laser ack.
No variety in naval shipping to attack. It's either the ack factory CV task group or nothing.

After a while most folks get tired of the same ole thing map after map, tour after tour, year after year. I'm bored with AcesHigh............ and football comes on in 15 minutes. 

Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
No trains or armed convoys to blow up anymore.

We do have trains (I've shot up quite a number of them lately :)), and I can't remember having ever seen armed convois in the 8 years I'm playing

After a while most folks get tired of the same ole thing map after map, tour after tour, year after year. I'm bored with AcesHigh............

That's a thing almost all players experience in almost all games. Very few, if any, games change so fundamentally to provide the same level of excitement as if you were new to it. Burning out on a game is a natural cycle.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:31:54 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »
After a while most folks get tired of the same ole thing map after map, tour after tour, year after year.

Come fly in "This Day in WWII" events and in scenarios.  :aok