Author Topic: Change port layout  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Change port layout
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
Since we're getting new terrain anyway, I think it would be good to take this chance to change the layout of the guns at the ports.

Specifically, I'd like to see either an additional pair of '88s placed on the ends of the docks, or one of the existing pair moved, and a third added. The reasoning for this is that as the ports are currently laid out, there are large gaps in the '88s fields of fire, such that it can be impossible to effectively fire on low-medium alt attackers off a CV (a very common occurrence, particularly for ports).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 04:22:21 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Change port layout
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
Since we're getting new terrain anyway, I think it would be good to take this chance to change the layout of the guns at the ports.

Specifically, I'd like to see either an additional pair of '88s placed on the ends of the dock, or one of the existing pair moved, and a third added. The reasoning for this is that as the ports are currently laid out, there are large gaps in the '88s fields of fire, such that it can impossible to effectively fire on low-medium alt attackers off a CV (a very common occurrence, particularly for ports).

Agreed.  It would be nice to be able to use the 88's for anti-ship roles too.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
Agreed.  It would be nice to be able to use the 88's for anti-ship roles too.   ;)

Specifically, I'd like to see either an additional pair of '88s placed on the ends of the docks, or one of the existing pair moved, and a third added. The reasoning for this is that as the ports are currently laid out, there are large gaps in the '88s fields of fire, such that it can be impossible to effectively fire on low-medium alt attackers off a CV (a very common occurrence, particularly for ports).

+1 to both  :D :D :D :D :D

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
I vote that instead of adding more puffy stuff for people to hide in we add a small dirt airstrip to the port and allow some of the early/mid war aircraft that primarily used dirt/gravel runways to up.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
 Another bad thing about port layout is the fact that a set of bombers can take out the VH and storch hanger plus half the guns in one pass

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline bmused55

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
The ports need more gun positions. I doubt any real life port was ever so poorly defended as those on AH.
Apart from the 88s and ack, there should also be fixed 50cal positions too. Some gun positions should also be bunkered and not susceptible to a simple strafe of 50cal or 20mm canon. Look at those German concrete gun positions in WWII.
The only way to kill them was by direct hit from large ship guns or mahoosive bunker buster bombs. Or, occasionally a brave soldier with a hand grenade who manages to get close enough to lob it through the window. Though, that only killed the crew, not the bunker.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
I vote that instead of adding more puffy stuff for people to hide in we add a small dirt airstrip to the port and allow some of the early/mid war aircraft that primarily used dirt/gravel runways to up.

I wouldn't mind having more 88s, however, for those who don't. I think that the 88s should at least me replaced around the port. Right now they aren't placed in a very effective manner.    I don't mind adding  a small airstrip. It gives use to that fighter hangar that is there.  Then moving the fighter and Vehicle Hangars around the port, and perhaps adding a PT boat hangar. 

And +1 to better defended gun positions (from Bmused55's comment).

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
Perhaps move the small FH off to the side (preferably a fair distance from the VH, and make a flat dirt runway out from the front of it?

I'd still say limit it to the Storch, until we get other recon planes like the Fw 189, Westland Lysander. Maybe let the PBY and H8K take off from the water, if we ever get them.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »

Really think the '88 would have the punch to be really usefull? I feel like the things would be excessively difficult to aim at extended range, just due to the shell randomization and small blast radius of the shells.

And you can't use HE (AA) beyond 12k. Technically less than 12k, since distance through the air is different than the distance to target. Not gonna bother calculating the actual range, too tired.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »
Really think the '88 would have the punch to be really usefull? I feel like the things would be excessively difficult to aim at extended range, just due to the shell randomization and small blast radius of the shells.

And you can't use HE (AA) beyond 12k. Technically less than 12k, since distance through the air is different than the distance to target. Not gonna bother calculating the actual range, too tired.

I have used the 88s before to sink CVs.  It is quite challenging but possible.   Set the round to HE (anti air) set range to 12k or what range you believe the boat to be at. And fire accordingly. 
HiTech

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
Add a second VH at the very least...

There is no good reason a SINGLE fully-loaded 110 can take out both hangers and de-ack the field solo...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 02:03:53 AM »
Perhaps move the small FH off to the side (preferably a fair distance from the VH, and make a flat dirt runway out from the front of it?

I'd still say limit it to the Storch, until we get other recon planes like the Fw 189, Westland Lysander. Maybe let the PBY and H8K take off from the water, if we ever get them.

I think some early/mid war fighters without ord enabled would be nice to have as defensive aircraft at ports. Might get people interested in flying some of the less uber rides.

XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 04:31:03 AM »
I remember when they first made the change to the current layout, there were 2 VH's (the other VH was on the big pad near the "indestructible") .  I thought that awesome, but then it was reverted back to 1 fairly quick. :(

As for adding more defense, the Rufe would be nice.  At least some token air defense is better than nothing. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 04:34:04 AM »
I think some early/mid war fighters without ord enabled would be nice to have as defensive aircraft at ports. Might get people interested in flying some of the less uber rides.

Something like the Rufe wouldn't be bad, but if you're talking about enabling the P-40C just to add to the defense, then no.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »

No aircraft without legit runways.  The only exception being the Storch, obviously.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.