Author Topic: Just have to say  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Just have to say
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 08:58:59 PM »
ok....
player collides with me from behind
get message that I have collided with player
I am killed, or plane is unable to fly on (killed)
I am towered or bail immediately and go to tower
while in tower get message that player has collided with me
player flies away
?????

Now if both players were killed I wouldn't have much to complain about, it's the other player flying away that annoys me. And it happens all the time to me.

Snailman it's not your fault that my computer goes spaz when you fly near me. You're in Europe. When that happens I get fair warning and avoid you like the plague.  :neener:

There are three types of collisions, with two possible outcomes for two of them, and four possible outcomes for the third type.

Type 1, aka "Its your fault".

YOU see a collision on your screen, and due to lag, the other guy does not.
This is indicated by the message "you have collided"
The other guy will always keep flying in 100% of these types of collisions, no ifs ands or buts, end of story.
YOU will either take damage but keep flying, or you will begin to start to tumble and fall from the sky, no other possible outcome, quit whining.

Type 2, aka "its his fault"

Enemy player sees a collision, but due to lag, you do not.
Indicated by the message "Xxxx has collided with you"
YOU will never, ever, ever take damage from this. Period. Thats all.
HE will either take damage and keep flying, or start to tumble and fall from the sky. That it, shut up, nothing else happens.

Type 3, aka "you both f**ked up"

BOTH you AND the enemy see a collision.
Indicated by the presence of both previous messages

1st possible outcome:  You both take damage, but keep flying.
2nd possible outcome: you both take damage, and both fall to the ground
3rd possible outcome: you both take damage, he keeps flying, you die. Its logical, shut up and deal with it.
4th possible outcome: you both take damage, he dies, you keep flying. Its logical, shut up and deal with it.

Now theres some standard procedures when you collide, with action taken depending on how you answer the questions.

1) Did you keep flying?
y: The collision model works, and you got lucky. RTB and get a new plane.
n: The collision model works, and you're unlucky. Shutup, get a new plane, and deal with it.

2) Did he keep flying?
y: The collision model works! Quit whining, get a new plane, and go kill him.
n: The collision model works! Congratulations on your luck! Now you won't have to hunt him down.

3) Are you unhappy about the outcome of the collision?
y: Shutup, its fair, deal with it.
n: Congrats, you're able to deal with bad luck! Reup and get back out there soldier, the war continues!

3) Do you think it was unfair?
y: Shutup, you're ignorant and don't know what happened. Go educate yourself with the many resources available.
n: Congrats, you're not a confused, sniveling tard!
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Here are the two films loaded one over the other.

(Image removed from quote.)

If you look close you can see the 2 P47s one right over the other.

This clip right here should be a stickie  
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »
Here are the two films loaded one over the other.

(Image removed from quote.)

If you look close you can see the 2 P47s one right over the other.

Best illustration I have ever seen of how and WHY the collision model is how it is.

I second that it should be a sticky.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I own you like a red headed step child    :noid
:noid :bolt: :joystick:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
I'm rewarded each time I have a collision.  The game rewards me by removing a wing, an elevator, or some other vital part I need to keep flying.

ack-ack

Oh my rewards are usually much greater.  I'm almost always in the tower before I understand what part(s) of my plane are no longer attached.  :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
Thank you for the nice words Reaper90.
Yes Reaper it is a great game, best one out there currently for an WWII based flight game, I do believe that. As well I like 90% of the pilots in this game.

If in fact as folks are saying "lag" is the reason only one plane sustains damage in a collision then the games ability to handle players in close proximity is more fubar than I thought.
After 12 years in another flight game this was never an issue there.
So your saying one player collides but the other doesnt?
That its connection related?
Then people with a crappy connectioin are rewarded with a lessened chance of their position being reported at the point of the collision?
That is a game issue my friends.

The problem remains that an opposing plane can fly right thru you without sustaining any damage. If the aircraft positions are that far off, then the game is flawed in this area, period.
That would be the actual game engine, because it can not handle aircraft positions as well as say the "Conductor" game engine Fighter Ace ran on.

Isnt the small word "Lag" so powerful? It can be used as an excuse for so many things.
Internet lag, server lag, client lag.

Never leave a wingman behind

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
So your saying one player collides but the other doesnt? Yes
That its connection related? Yes, but not in the way you think. It applies to both parties involved in the very same way, so nobody gains an 'advantage'
Then people with a crappy connectioin are rewarded with a lessened chance of their position being reported at the point of the collision? no

The problem remains that an opposing plane can fly right thru you without sustaining any damage.  Nobody can

In the end, you are still misunderstanding the collision model.

And you still didn't answer my initial question.  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
Yes Reaper it is a great game, best one out there currently for an WWII based flight game, I do believe that. As well I like 90% of the pilots in this game.

If in fact as folks are saying "lag" is the reason only one plane sustains damage in a collision then the games ability to handle players in close proximity is more fubar than I thought.
Then people with a crappy connectioin are rewarded with a lessened chance of their position being reported at the point of the collision?

The problem remains that an opposing plane can fly right thru you without sustaining any damage. If the aircraft positions are that far off, then the game is flawed in this area, period.
That would be the actual game engine, because it can not handle aircraft positions as well as say the "Conductor" game engine Fighter Ace ran on.

Isnt the small word "Lag" so powerful? It can be used as an excuse for so many things.

NO, NO, NO!!!

Read these words very carefully.  The AH collision model states if YOU don't collide, YOU won't take damage.. period...  Due to lag it is possible for the other guy to take damage and you not because from his perspective he hit you.  From your perspective (I.E. where your plane was positioned relative to his plane), you didn't hit him/her.  Conversely, If YOU make contact with another plane, and HE doesn't then YOU take damage, and HE/SHE won't.  

Moral of the story, don't hit stuff, and you won't take damage....  It's that poop simple....  The connection is irrelevant.  Control YOUR aircraft to prevent a collision, and if the other guy hits you, if you miss, you're good...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:02:04 AM by Scca »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »

Was that a server-based game (the server made all the calculations and kept track of everyone all the time), or was it a client-based game like AH (the server only acts as an in-between and all the calculations of where you are is done on your own computer and passed along by the server to everyone else around you)?

Have you ever seen guys take off or land on a carrier, but they were 50' or more away from the carrier deck? Same thing there as with the collision model. On their computer, they trapped the 3 wire for a safe landing - on your computer they are hovering in mid-air off to the side of the ship.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »

Actually, it's not an 'excuse' .... it's an explanation. Are you going to keep 'not coming back' to your thread to behave this way? You are your problem. Spend more time practicing collision avoidance and less time doing the arse-hat dance on the forum.  :aok

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I'm rewarded each time I have a collision.  The game rewards me by removing a wing, an elevator, or some other vital part I need to keep flying.

ack-ack

About sums up my experience, but you forgot to add in the vomit inducing spin!   :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
I was around when going to a friends house to play Pong was a big deal.  I suppose thats why graphics and little imperfections in the game aren't a big deal to me. 
AMAX  in game

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »
the left paddle in pong was way over modelled  :mad:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
I was around when going to a friends house to play Pong was a big deal.  I suppose thats why graphics and little imperfections in the game aren't a big deal to me. 

Dad and I thought this was the bomb:

We were very competitive. I whupped him consistently. He practiced the entire time I was in boot camp. Guess what I had to do the first five minutes back in the door on my first leave home?  ;)

The collision model was horrible, though, and if there was an Atari forum (or even internet) back then I would have started a hissy thread.  :lol