Author Topic: Would this be a Ho?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Would this be a Ho?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
If you want the RAW video i still have it...no way was he after the merge turn (to late) was he going to get his guns on me. :neener:  
Just had to say .   :angel:
I said it wasn't.... don't need the raw footage to tell that. :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 09:48:49 PM »
I said it wasn't.... don't need the raw footage to tell that. :aok
:lol Did i sound a bit defensive.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
  A Head On, or HO, shot is frowned upon because it is the airplane equivalent of playing "chicken" with cars.  Generally a bad move, and a high percentage of both planes going down.  So, while a HO should be avoided, if it is the only shot you have, take it.

I most often get in a HO shot when I misjudge my opponent's turn, especially when I have a good case of tunnel vision going.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 11:30:12 PM »
:lol Did i sound a bit defensive.
A little....I'm sorry misunderstood
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »
HO shots require both planes having guns on each others. If one plane has guns on and the other doesn't then it is not a HO shot. The words "Head On" pretty much sums up what a HO shot is, but there's a lot of people who think anything in front of the 3-9 line is considered a HO shot. They're wrong.

I say take any shot you think you can win, including HO shots. They can complain all they want when they die but there is one blindingly simple fact that they simply choose to ignore: You died because you flew into their guns, don't do that next time! If your opponent is going to purposely fly into your gunsight then it'd be a crime NOT to shoot him.

:aok

All the complaining on 200 and range about "What a dweeb Hoing me like that!" is just really annoying. Do these people realize their plane has things called elevators, and ailerons, and a rudder? You can use these magical things to move your aircraft and not get shot! Amazing I know, right!??  :O

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »
Has anybody made a video from two plane's point of view with screen capture not the ah recorder to compare the difference in what it looks like? I've always been curious how that would look.
Pies not kicks.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
HO shots require both planes having guns on each others. If one plane has guns on and the other doesn't then it is not a HO shot. The words "Head On" pretty much sums up what a HO shot is, but there's a lot of people who think anything in front of the 3-9 line is considered a HO shot. They're wrong.

I say take any shot you think you can win, including HO shots. They can complain all they want when they die but there is one blindingly simple fact that they simply choose to ignore: You died because you flew into their guns, don't do that next time! If your opponent is going to purposely fly into your gunsight then it'd be a crime NOT to shoot him.

Well said Trobe. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »

:aok

All the complaining on 200 and range about "What a dweeb Hoing me like that!" is just really annoying. Do these people realize their plane has things called elevators, and ailerons, and a rudder? You can use these magical things to move your aircraft and not get shot! Amazing I know, right!??  :O

When you're outnumbered 5-10 on one and get HO'd it's totally unnessesary regardless of having control surfaces or not.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Moordeeb

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
When you're outnumbered 5-10 on one and get HO'd it's totally unnessesary regardless of having control surfaces or not.

In order to determine the best course of action in a shoot/don't shoot situation, one would simple need to ask the question "what would Pappy Boyington do?".   ;)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »
A HO is any shot taken on you due to a failure of your ACM or SA   :bolt:
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Many times, too many, I've found that I knew I could pull hard enough (burning considerable kinetic btw) to get around and HO if I had to, often though I relax the stick to try and better reposition. This is almost always the end of that sortie for me  :bhead

I could pull it around, but it would be a HO (to me,) the other guy usually however does not consider it a HO because I did not pull. So thus, after a year and half I may now know what Redbul meant:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,343064.0.html

see REdbul's comments, he later said he started off never ho'ing, but learned after a long time, there is a time and place, just no often...

I suppose it's only a HO if it is a HO in your mind, like Semp said forget the other guy...maybe?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:07:29 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »
Here's the problem I have with Ho's: too many other blokes will take the shot while you're trying to play "nice".  I've tried to avoid using it as much as possible, but more often than not, the other guy will take the shot first. This is especially true of BnZ'ers that I turn into. Most will shoot at you any way you can. Granted, most times it's easy to avoid them, but every now and then I will get clobbered. I don't often do it, but I will if I think it's the best shot at the time.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

To expand on this...  I see it in the DA all the time.  Two good pilots agree not to HO during a duel.  Guess what happens...

It changes the way they fly.  They don't necessarily have to work to stay out of each others guns during merges.  They just have to bring their nose around enough to present a HO aspect. 

In a duel, I agree with guns cold on the first merge, but after that crossing through your opponents gun site should be a very dangerous thing.

In the MA, you never want to allow an opponent a shot from any aspect.  You should learn to use their attempt to HO you as an opportunity to gain an advantage on that first merge.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
  :aokThis ^^ now where's that thread on avoid the ho again?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"