Author Topic: Tips and tricks for better fighting performance  (Read 3146 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Tips and tricks for better fighting performance
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
One thing I have noticed lately is that it is tough for players (beginners, intermediate) to learn new ACM and become better fighter pilots in a game that is tough as nails to learn. I will do my best to write out specific maneuvers and tips that can increase fighting performance and make for easier kills and more landing opportunities in any fighter plane.

1. Always avoid the HO
              You always hear people talking about Head On shooting (HO). There are ways you can practically always avoid the HO. I haven't been shot from a HO in ages, and I definitely do not try to get kills by HO shooting either. Based on my experience you die 50% of the time or you get parts missing, oil leaks, ect, about 80% of the time. Also, believe it or not, avoiding the HO sets you up for a better tactic (typically emmil) to perform on the enemy plane who tried to HO you. The key is to nose down a bit and try to get to the left or right of them before you make the HO pass. It is really difficult to make a shot on a plane when you are below their nose, especially if you are to the right or left. As the person is trying to make the shot (generally turning a tad bit for the shot) pull up into an emmil (don't do this too early, it takes a bit of timing, normally pull up about 50-100 yards away so they cant follow you up. This gives you a giant head start on the emmil and you can typically loop much faster and get inside or use your E to stay above the enemy plane who goes for a HO shot.

2. The NOSE DOWN angle turn
             So what do you do when you cant run away from enemy plane that is diving on you? There is a very basic maneuver that works almost every time, again it takes a lot of timing, like most things in this game. When the enemy is about 800-600 off your 6, flip your plane almost upside down and go in a downward angle to the left or right (heading back towards them, try to get under them as much as you can) use some rudder for help, cut throttle as well so you do not crash. Normally, if the plane is going really fast they will pull up and come back around for another attack, again do the nose down turn, DO NOT PULL UP in this situation. If you do the nose down turn too early, they enemy will be able to slow down and follow you. The point is to be able to get under their nose, if they follow you with all this speed they will be blacking out and will easily lose sight of you. Now, there is a very complex, advanced maneuver called a lag roll that can be preformed if the enemy plane follows you in the nose down turn. Cut throttle in the nose down turn, as they go for the shot, pull up, try to get flaps out, and do a stall barrel roll in the opposite direction, if they are going too fast, you can roll around right on their 6, or get in the famous rolling scissors. Judging their E you can tell whether to follow them in the climb or not. (lag roll is hard to explain).

3. Learn to do Emmilmans (loops) and not flat turns
         The Emmilman is one of the most important ACMs. Generally, you will find yourself coming head-on towards a plane (ie, a HO). In the MA most people will try to make the HO shot, as I said earlier avoid that crap and you'll have the advantage. The Emmilman is the move you want to attempt while you are making the pass (like I said, attempt to get under their nose) about 50 yards out pull strait up and do a loop, If the player goes into a flat turn you can typically get inside of his turn by doing the loop, if you cannot get inside, you now have the E to pull back up and try again. Use your E and alt advantage to stall them out. The emmil allows you to fight using what they call angles instead of "out turning", as in at the top of the loop, you can use rudder, throttle, and flaps, to get inside of their turn for a shot. If the enemy plane attempts to Emmil you too, you will have the headstart, because they tried to go for the shot, work your way to try to get inside their loop as well. If they do the emmil and again go for the HO, it's a little tougher to make them miss, but you gotta try. Also, you doing the emmil first will allow you to SPLIT S before they can do one, so now you can pull back up avoid the HO shot (do another emmil). Flip back over, cut some throttle, use flaps if you have to to stay above them, and hammer stall for the kill. This is typically called Vert flying, and there is much more to learn, but these are the basics. Always check your surroundings, as sometime doing an emmil will be a nice easy kill shot for a picker.

4. Merging on fighters
        Sometimes the hardest part in the MA is learning how to jump on people's 6 and not get picked. There are a couple of different tactics you can use to ensure you a kill while hopefully getting away.
        Fighters - normally the BnZ method is the easiest way to gain people's 6. You start high, go fast in a dive, and shoot someone who is lower than you, pull back   up or fly straight with speed and get away so other planes do not attack you. If you do this method, NEVER EVER EVER follow someone in the nose down turn as mentioned above. Pull back up, do an emmil and try again. Now, if you keep doing this you will lose E, so if you are in a position with a bunch of cons around, I wouldn't advise doing this more than 2 times or you will get picked. If you are sure to get the kill, cut the throttle attempt the shot, but watch out for the lag roll, people like me in my K4 love planes to follow me in the nose down turn.
        Now if you are flying a plane that doesn't BnZ well (ki84, 109s, a6ms, ect), how do you get on a persons 6? The key is timing and attempting to be where you think they will be, pull into them as they fly by and try to get a quick d400 snap shot. Instead of flying right towards them, fly to where they are going to be. Also, and this is how I like to fly, let the enemy come to you. This takes much practice and experience to judge E, but when a person is attacking you, your goal is to get them to lose all of their E, planes that don't BnZ well generally turn better.  You can make them over shoot by lag roll and get in a rolling scissors, they will lose E and atl advantage and you can gain their 6 and make the kill.
       Look for planes that are going up. A lot of BnZers will dive and then go back up to regain alt. If you are at 8k and you see a plane that is diving on a friendly, keep your alt and fly to where you think he will go. A plane that is going up is the easiest target. So if you are 8k in a ki84 and you see a typhoon dive down, chances are he is going to attempt to regain alt. This is where you catch him, once he gains alt or is climbing up he will be nice and slow for you to make the attack.
       Bombers- Attack from the front if you can, also attack from the sides, and attempt to be higher than them.  NEVER attack from the rear or sometimes underneath, If you attack from underneath, make sure u are directly under them before you pull up. You had better turn off quick because the rear gunners are gonna be firing.

5. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS every 4 seconds. Im serious!

Hope this helps a little bit. If you have any questions PM me or feel free to hit me up in the MA!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:17:52 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Tips and tricks for better fighting performance
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
(lag roll is hard to explain).

It helps to visualize the maneuver.  It's also referred to as the "Barrel Roll Attack".

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
Nice write up! I especially like #1 and #4 because they're so true! If you die in a HO shot you have no one to blame but yourself. We are not kidding when we say the HO shot is the easiest shot to avoid in all of aerial combat! I hate hearing people complain on range and 200 about "He HO'd me, what a dweeb." because I can tell that they just flew straight into the bad guys guns and expected him NOT to shoot. I facepalm every time I hear someone complain about HO shots.

SA is so easy yet so hard to accomplish. All it takes is one quick look around the sky, maybe less than 1 second, to see if there are bad guys around. Yet, it becomes more difficult as numbers increase. Get in the habit of always looking around even in friendly territory!

:salute :aok

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
Nice write up! I especially like #1 and #4 because they're so true! If you die in a HO shot you have no one to blame but yourself. We are not kidding when we say the HO shot is the easiest shot to avoid in all of aerial combat! I hate hearing people complain on range and 200 about "He HO'd me, what a dweeb." because I can tell that they just flew straight into the bad guys guns and expected him NOT to shoot. I facepalm every time I hear someone complain about HO shots.

SA is so easy yet so hard to accomplish. All it takes is one quick look around the sky, maybe less than 1 second, to see if there are bad guys around. Yet, it becomes more difficult as numbers increase. Get in the habit of always looking around even in friendly territory!

:salute :aok

Lol well I can't count very well so technically that's 5.. hahahahaha I did edit to fix it though. I know I would/will have grammar issues.

Thx though btw latrobe  :rock :salute :)
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 01:36:17 PM »
Nice write up
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Nice write up, it would be real nice if write ups and tips could be readable in game while sitting in the officers club maybe some kind of tab to click and tips and techniques window opens. Lots of new players don't have forum accounts so they wont see the tips and techniques offered in the forums, in game they would have access.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:47:58 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Fantastic, you should now expand on this and keep it up.  The one thing I like best about the BBS is the Help and Training threads regarding a2a ACM skills and discussions about it from experienced guys.  Mace2004, BigRat, Joe a Cheem, Latrobee, Ack Ack, Widewing, and now the OP, and many others I'm missing do a lot for this game by taking the time to explain and discuss flying and fighting tactics.  No matter how much you know, there is always more to learn, which is what keeps me sticking around to be honest.  This was a great little write up on the topics covered IMO.  I could read this stuff for hours, it's the most fascinating part of the game, and the fact that we can not only talk about these tactics and maneuvers, but put them into practice in game accurately goes to show that no matter how many complaints are thrown at HTC about this and that with flight models and such, it shows what a brilliant job they've done in creating this sim.

This will likely get moved to the Help and Training forum, and I think there should be some kind of notation in the game or clipboard for new players to direct them there for help from the community once they've gotten past the basics.  ##edit##- 68zoom, great minds think alike, you posted that while I was typing this.

5. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS every 4 seconds. Im serious!

This IMO is the key to beginning to get good situational awareness for a new player.  If you can teach a new pilot that they should be wearing out their stick hat or keypad, it's a good start.  Even when you're closing on a target's six, so long as you actually aren't firing, quick 1/4 second looks by pressing that hat backwards will save you many, many times from getting shot, since one of the easiest ways to kill someone is when they are fixated on a target that isn't you.  This is my trouble personally with Track IR so far, is that after 15 years of using my thumb to constantly look around, especially once engaged in a fight, it's a little slower for me as I'm still on the learning curve - I can sense it'll be even faster than the thumb once I get more accustomed to it, but the point is still that this "number 5" point from the OP is probably the easiest one to convey to a new pilot who is a little bamboozled about the ACM moves and terminology.  It's very easy to teach "just look around, especially behind you" every 4 or 5 seconds - don't stare, just a quick 1/4 or 1/2 second look to the rear and both sides, focusing on seeing "red".  If "red" is seen, take a close look at the range and the +/- indicator to judge how big of a threat they are.

Again, well done, all I can say is - More.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:59:08 PM by Gman »

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
nice work, thanks.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
nice write up :aok

ill add

time your maneuvers while you are below the bandits nose, where they don't see, they will expect you to come up at a certain spot and you will surprise them by not being there....

when you are merging with the con...if his plane is angled with his left wing down, fly to his right....and vice versa...he has to get out of phase to get to you...if you just fly to the side his wing is dipped it is much easier for him to get in line with you.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
It's "Immelmann".....just sayin

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Method 2: Make Aces High a drinking game.

This can be done with the alcoholic beverage of your choice (though I recommend beer since wine-coolers are sissified and straight hard liquor generally makes for shorter play). [Maybe Scotch on the side if you know how to start out 'Beer before liquor - never sicker.']

Disclaimer: AHII is a family game, anyone playing it who is under the legal drinking age may practice this other game with their choice of non-alcoholic beverage then graduate to alcoholism upon reaching the legal age in their state of residence.

1. Shoot someone down - drink.

2. Get shot down - drink.

3. In the tower (for any reason) - drink.

4. Observe graphics for later criticism/promotion on the forum - drink.

5. Forget to raise gear after take-off and have to be reminded to raise it by another player - drink.

6. Fly inverted for longer than real planes in WWII could (consensus deviation 10 seconds to a couple of minutes) - drink.

7. Auger in a dogfight - drink.

8. Auger when not in a dogfight - drink drink.

9. Spouse/family/room-mate/visiting friend ack - drink.

10. Structural failure due to high-speed or over-stress - drink.

11. Tried a new move (still died) - drink.

12. Tried a new move (then died shortly later from staring dumb-founded at screen too long) - drink.

13. Flying a buff (just drink the entire time).

14. Same for manning guns on a cruiser/flat-top/destroyer/manning a shore battery/gunning a buff for a friend, basically anything but playing a fighter 'jock.'

15. Get vulched - drink.

16. Get HOed - drink.

17. The vulch was a HO - down it.

18. Ack! Poof! - drink.

19. Hmmmm .... my wingie has kind of a sexy voice - drink.

20. Hey guys - watch this! - drink.

(Apologies to Violatr - won't interrupt again. I'll just drink.) ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:50:42 PM by Arlo »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
I like the 200 drinking game. Every time someone complains on 200 you take a drink!  :D :cheers:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
I like the 200 drinking game. Every time someone complains on 200 you take a drink!  :D :cheers:

I'd be rather dry. I just don't do 200.  :)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
It's "Immelmann".....just sayin

Hahahah that is hilarious! My spelling is horrendous!!!!

Yes gman I will try to add more after work!

Thanks for the comments everyone! :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
Having played a few years ago and spent time trying to learn this stuff.. (I was never good at fighting, and couldn't get most of this into my thick skull), I have to say that this is one of the best explanations I've read so far.  When things get complicated, I tend to sort of blank, so thanks for making it easy to read!  Gives me things to practice once I get back in the air.

<S>
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.