Author Topic: BSOD troubleshooting help  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: BSOD troubleshooting help
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
There actually is a way to test the power supply, but for what I've heard, the testing equipment would cost about 50 000, yes, fifty thousand... There may be other methods, too, using oscilloscopes and such, but not everyone has access to those, nor the skills needed to use them. And you've read correctly about he cheap testers. Since they provide no load, even a failing PSU may be able to produce good values. And yes, the yellow goo is factory applied stuff.

The easiest and cheapest way is to use a known good PSU to see if the problems reappear. In your case the testing shouldn't even take long.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »
I guess I'll go buy another PS today and see if it works. If it does work I'll just RMA this one and shelve the new/fixed one they send me for later use. Hopefully this is the problem.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
 Before you run out and buy a new PSU,have you cleaned the comp lately? I ask because maybe something isnt seated properly!

I would check to see that everything is locked inplace,memory and vidcard especially!

I agree with getting a quality PSU,I have an 850 watt XFX and a 750 watt corsair in my second comp and both have run perfectly for quite some time.

:salute

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
Before you run out and buy a new PSU,have you cleaned the comp lately? I ask because maybe something isnt seated properly!

I would check to see that everything is locked inplace,memory and vidcard especially!

I agree with getting a quality PSU,I have an 850 watt XFX and a 750 watt corsair in my second comp and both have run perfectly for quite some time.

:salute

I haven't moved the pc in months so nothing could have come loose. When I originally bought my thermaltake 850w PS I was under the impression that it was a quality PS made by seasonic. Doing some research now I see that it isn't but it does have a 5 year warranty. If the new PS I buy tonight fixes the problems my thermaltake will be rma'd. I wonder if my cooling fan obsession may have killed the PS early. I have 7 120mm fans and 2 larger fans (cant remember the size). plus the cooling fan for the PS and 2 small GPU fans for a total of 12 coolings fans being powered by the psu.. overkill maybe?

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

I haven't moved the pc in months so nothing could have come loose.

Yeah thats what I thought to. Things is much of the crapola in a box is attached to cables of some kind and the simple weight of the cables can make things come loose. The most common thing is the graphics card coming loose due to the weight of the monitor cables, that and the angle of the cable/connection. You dont have to move anything for this to happen. Heck I bet even living next to a busy street can cause loose attachments over time. No matter how it does happen the fact is it DOES happen.

Ive had BSODs from cards coming loose. Usually I'll get a warning message first about a video driver issue but Ive also gotten BSOD. A simple reseat of the video card solved everything. It might not be your problem but it should be the first thing you try.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
Yeah thats what I thought to. Things is much of the crapola in a box is attached to cables of some kind and the simple weight of the cables can make things come loose. The most common thing is the graphics card coming loose due to the weight of the monitor cables, that and the angle of the cable/connection. You dont have to move anything for this to happen. Heck I bet even living next to a busy street can cause loose attachments over time. No matter how it does happen the fact is it DOES happen.

Ive had BSODs from cards coming loose. Usually I'll get a warning message first about a video driver issue but Ive also gotten BSOD. A simple reseat of the video card solved everything. It might not be your problem but it should be the first thing you try.

Ive removed and reseated my gfx card this morning and ran it on a different monitor with an hdmi cable and it still locks up. I dont see how my card could come loose anyway with the pci slot lock and two screws on the rear cage hholding it tight.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:34:17 PM by SilverZ06 »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
I guess I'll go buy another PS today and see if it works. If it does work I'll just RMA this one and shelve the new/fixed one they send me for later use. Hopefully this is the problem.

one of the most noted signs of a bad power supply is a loud squeeky sound coming thru the speakers.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 05:33:22 PM »
one of the most noted signs of a bad power supply is a loud squeeky sound coming thru the speakers.

semp

I never heard any sounds out of the ordinary from the speakers. I am running a new PS right now and so far so good. Of course my old one would work at first as well. I'm going to try and run my hardware monitor software and see if it still freezes. Wish me luck.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
Well crap  :furious The computer still froze.  :bhead I was beginning to think for sure it was the PS going out.

So Cpu temps are fine under load or not
Changed the Powersupply and still having the same issue
multiple virus/malware scans come back clean
POSTs fine with no error codes on the diagnostic LEDs
Memtest shows no errors
SSD test shows no errors
visual inspection of the motherboard looks good. No visible blown capacitors

I'm running out of ideas to check. Should I take this PS back and try a new MOBO instead? I'm getting annoyed with this.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »
maybe the temp is not reading correct?

the only time I ever had a BSOD was when the PC got too hot...

you obviously have it opened and its clean? so its probably not that.... :headscratch:

if its not heat...try your RAM....RAM causes BSOD at least when I was having the issue, thats what I was reading.

take all the ram out and just put in one stick at a time...or find some cheap ram and try it out.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 06:05:11 PM »
Here is a screen shot of my latest freeze. This is how far I usually get into the program.

Ink memtest already cleared my ram but I will try it anyway. I'm getting desperate to get this damn thing fixed.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Here is a screen shot of my latest freeze. This is how far I usually get into the program.
(Image removed from quote.)

Ink memtest already cleared my ram but I will try it anyway. I'm getting desperate to get this damn thing fixed.

Try booting with a linux boot dvd and try if its stable. If yes then you may have a corrupted windows installation. Even though your drives check ok you may have a bad checksum somewhere in the OS.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I figured out your issue...... :rock

its that damn Honda wall paper...... your PC is pissed as hell at you :D

hopefully you get it figured out :pray

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »

I figured out your issue...... :rock

its that damn Honda wall paper...... your PC is pissed as hell at you :D

hopefully you get it figured out :pray

I wish it were that easy. That was just the best looking background I could find for a triple monitor setup. I'm not partial to honda, I had a gsxr myself. Anyway I tried pulling the ram and still same problem. Im seriously considering a new mobo but I just hate to keep spending money throwing parts at the computer and not being sure that is the problem.  :cry

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
that sux man....
wish I could help more....