Author Topic: BSOD troubleshooting help  (Read 2009 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: BSOD troubleshooting help
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
I took my comp to a local guy who ran a diagnostics on it and found my problem rather quickly. Thats never a bad choice I assume.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »
I took my comp to a local guy who ran a diagnostics on it and found my problem rather quickly. Thats never a bad choice I assume.

Where's the fun and frustration in that?  :lol

Here is what I found with the link Bizman Provided:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I removed the heat sinks and everything looks good under there. I think the fact that I can't see any burn spots or blown capacitors and the fact that the board POSTs without errors, I am going to assume the board is okay. Now I have the task of reassembling this machine and I will use the links Bizman posted to try and figure it out. Hopefully that works and I don't have to clean install. If that doesnt work I'll clean install. If that doesnt work Ill take it apart again and buy a new board. If that doesn't work I'm going to use my shotgun on it.  :aok

Quick question. Are the peices on processor that are circled supposed to be that blue color? I can't remember from when I built it.
(Image removed from quote.)

Hmm IF they're blued by overheating that may well be your problem right there. But to tell you the truth I haven't memorized the bottom of cpus so best bet is to Google images and compare. Or go to a local hardware store and ask them to bring one for comparison.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »
Hmm IF they're blued by overheating that may well be your problem right there. But to tell you the truth I haven't memorized the bottom of cpus so best bet is to Google images and compare. Or go to a local hardware store and ask them to bring one for comparison.

I just looked on google images and it is the standard color. I guess its a clean install for me as my pc is still acting up.  :(

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »
Just did a full install and format of my c drive and while in the process of downloading windows updates for the new install the system shut down and restarted itself. Upon start up my ssd was not showing and I couldn't even find it displayed in bios. I did a manual hard reset and it reappeared but the updates that were installed were gone and are redownloading now. So Its either my MB sata sockets going bad or my SSD.  :bhead

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »
Older motherboards require startup drivers for SSD to work, if my memory serves me right you press f6 during installation process.
If you did not have this problem before when installing diregard above.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 04:04:48 AM »
Just did a full install and format of my c drive and while in the process of downloading windows updates for the new install the system shut down and restarted itself. Upon start up my ssd was not showing and I couldn't even find it displayed in bios. I did a manual hard reset and it reappeared but the updates that were installed were gone and are redownloading now. So Its either my MB sata sockets going bad or my SSD.  :bhead

Try installing windows on one of your regular drives, then youll know.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 04:33:18 AM »
Older motherboards require startup drivers for SSD to work, if my memory serves me right you press f6 during installation process.
If you did not have this problem before when installing diregard above.

Actually that was not a motherboard limitation but Windows one. WIndows XP pre SP2 didn't have built in sata drivers which forced people to install them manually before the install.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
Well after some searching around I found someone with a crucial m4 drive that describes my exact problem. According to Crucial it is a garbage collection feature and the ssd should be left idle for a period of 8-24 hours to clean itself. My computer has been idle over night as I always leave it powered up. Also with the fresh format and install of windows the garbage collection feature shouldn't even be active yet. I guess I'm off to get a samsung 840 to replace this crucial m4.

Hi,

I bought a Crucial M4 128GB SSD back in August 2011. It's been great, I love it and I will never do without a SSD again, but over the past couple weeks my computer has been shutting down at random times. When it reboots, my computer does not detect the drive and I can't boot into Windows. After a while it would eventually be detected and work just fine. Finally, it stopped working last night and won't detect.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with TRIM enabled. I've tried using the drive on three different SATA ports, using different power connectors and tried putting it into an external enclosure. Nothing is working. I contacted Crucial's support and got this response:

"Thank you for contacting us. The behavior you are describing is consistent with TRIM commands not executing on the drive (which may result from lots of writing and rewriting, especially OS installs, not done on the OS level). The accumulation of 'junk' data from file deletions, even reformats, basically clogs up the drive and reduces or sometimes even halts performance and can even dismount the drive. A secondary feature called Garbage Collection activates when the drive is powered, but has no data throughput, for an extended period, and does background cleanup on our SSDs which can make up for the lack of TRIM.

If this is the cause of your drive's behavior, a period of idling the drive without any data being written or read actively will improve its performance. We recommend you perform this idle period on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. A laptop computer will also work, but you’ll have to connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacturer’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.)

For laptops, we don’t recommended using a USB enclosure powered via USB; dedicated AC power is preferable. In addition, Apple users must hold the Option key while they power on the system (with the SSD installed). This will boot the Mac to the Startup Manager screen. The Startup Manager screen works like the BIOS screen on a laptop, in that it gives the drive power without any data throughput. An alternative Apple method is to close all open programs (including background processes) after startup and idle on your desktop. Just power the drive and let it sit, preferably overnight, but even a few hours should improve performance if this is the cause of your drive's erratic performance, though full Garbage Collection takes 8-24 hours and should be resumed when you can be without that system for an extended period."

Does this make sense to anyone? I was just thinking that I need to RMA it and get a new one. I'm at work and can't try their "fix" out until tonight. Should I just respond back and ask for the RMA number and get the process started or try this out?

Thanks

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
128GB Samsung 840PRO installed and being updated as I type. So far so good. I'm crossing my fingers that the problem is fixed.  :pray

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »
128GB Samsung 840PRO installed and being updated as I type. So far so good. I'm crossing my fingers that the problem is fixed.  :pray
If not, it looks like it would be your video card. Hoping for the best, though! Actually, it could've been your ssd starting to fail in the very sector you had your video card drivers installed in.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »
Got almost everything reinstalled and windows completely updated and my computer is running great. Looks like it was my SSD after all. What a royal PITA this process has been but I'm glad the problem seems to be solved as of now.  Thank you all for your tips and advice. I truly do appreciate it. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future that may have similar symptoms. Thanks again!  :salute :cheers: