Author Topic: BSOD troubleshooting help  (Read 2011 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Re: BSOD troubleshooting help
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »
Well I pulled the mobo out so I could see all the capacitors and they all look fine.  No bulges or bursts.  I'm thinking it still may be the mobo considering all the first symptoms I had were all different. I was just hoping I could visually see something wrong.  Now I'm torn between trying a fresh install of w7 or getting a new mobo.  I'm just worried about buying a new mobo and that not being the problem. Then I'm stuck with an extra mobo and a thinner wallet. Decisions decisions. WWSD (what would Skuzzy do)?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
Well I pulled the mobo out so I could see all the capacitors and they all look fine.  No bulges or bursts.  I'm thinking it still may be the mobo considering all the first symptoms I had were all different. I was just hoping I could visually see something wrong.  Now I'm torn between trying a fresh install of w7 or getting a new mobo.  I'm just worried about buying a new mobo and that not being the problem. Then I'm stuck with an extra mobo and a thinner wallet. Decisions decisions. WWSD (what would Skuzzy do)?

I would reinstall windows.  you gonna do that anyway if you buy a new mobo.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »
Would replacing the battery on the mobo help?  I had some advice to do that once.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Would replacing the battery on the mobo help?  I had some advice to do that once.

I pulled the battery and checked it on a digital multimeter and it is reading a solid 3v so the battery is still good.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
Take a picture of the motherboard and let me take a look at it. Who knows, my mother always says computer problems always miraculously disappear when I come over and look at it  :neener:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
Pull out all USB devices and try to restart, just had a usb keyboard that BSOD'd my computer.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Pull out all USB devices and try to restart, just had a usb keyboard that BSOD'd my computer.

You know I did add my unicomp usb board recently, but it has been running flawless since christmas when I got it and first installed it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:42 AM »
Is the BSOD always the same? I mean the 0x00000101 error code. Since you were overclocking your CPU quite a lot, maybe this thread would be of some help: http://www.overclock.net/t/669537/bsod-0x00000101, especially the list on page 2. I suppose the error codes would be similar for i5 and i7...

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »
Is the BSOD always the same? I mean the 0x00000101 error code. Since you were overclocking your CPU quite a lot, maybe this thread would be of some help: http://www.overclock.net/t/669537/bsod-0x00000101, especially the list on page 2. I suppose the error codes would be similar for i5 and i7...

1st BSOD was something related to hardware, 2nd BSOD was the one I posted the picture of. So far only those two BSODs, the rest of the time it is constant lock ups and freezing.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
Take a picture of the motherboard and let me take a look at it. Who knows, my mother always says computer problems always miraculously disappear when I come over and look at it  :neener:

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
No black or small burnt spots on the back of it?  In our line of work we see control boards everyday and majority of them burn out through the back.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
No black or small burnt spots on the back of it?  In our line of work we see control boards everyday and majority of them burn out through the back.

The dark color of the board make it a little tough to see, but I think it looks clean to me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

LOL now it's official you're desperate! Well let me know if it was fixed by just me looking at it! :D

One thing came to my mind though - your problem area may be hidden under those massive heat spreaders.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Have you used the tools built in Windows? Log files? Performance monitor? Here's something that might help you find the culprit: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/get-help-from-the-windows-reliability-monitor/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
LOL now it's official you're desperate! Well let me know if it was fixed by just me looking at it! :D

One thing came to my mind though - your problem area may be hidden under those massive heat spreaders.

I removed the heat sinks and everything looks good under there. I think the fact that I can't see any burn spots or blown capacitors and the fact that the board POSTs without errors, I am going to assume the board is okay. Now I have the task of reassembling this machine and I will use the links Bizman posted to try and figure it out. Hopefully that works and I don't have to clean install. If that doesnt work I'll clean install. If that doesnt work Ill take it apart again and buy a new board. If that doesn't work I'm going to use my shotgun on it.  :aok

Quick question. Are the peices on processor that are circled supposed to be that blue color? I can't remember from when I built it.