Author Topic: Community Opinion Poll: "Easy / Noobish" Ride List for 2014  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Community Opinion Poll: "Easy / Noobish" Ride List for 2014
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:02:21 AM »
I'm curious to see which fighters / bombers and vehicles make it in based on forum opinion.  When stating your opinion please also explain your reasoning i.e. fastest plane, best climb, easy to pilot, etc etc etc.

I'm sure several will be no surprise / nothing new.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: Community Opinion Poll: "Easy / Noobish" Ride List for 2014
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:08:54 AM »
I probably should have placed this under the Aircraft / Vehicles forum...my bad.  I'm sure Skuzzy will move it if he feels that's the best location for it.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:37:07 AM »
Spits always come to mind. Turn like the devil, solid acceleration, climb, etc.

The PonyD is a fan favorite for many reasons. I'm sure most new sticks climb into it because it's possibly thee iconic ride of WW2. Then they discover 'speed is life' and learn to runaway.

The La-7 seems to be the ride of preference for journeymen fliers. They have the basic idea of ACM down but not good enough to thrive though they take the training wheels off and climb into the La-7. Likely, they know how to kill lots of PonyDs and are tired of the PonyD getting on the deck and outrunning their Spit. So they climb out of the Spit and into the PonyD.

At some point they seem to migrate into the Brew (AKA F/A-18 Superhornet.) Has a zoom climb rate of deck to 7k in under 3 seconds, dives without losing control surfaces up to speeds in excess of 650mph and has a sustained climb rate of around 5,000/fpm. Or, something like that.

Then they get sophisticated, and exotic. This is where the Ki-84 shows up. Great climb rate, turns better than the Spit they flew just two months ago. Fast enough in a dive to catch any unsuspecting PonyD. Out fights the La-7 (which they deny they ever flew) and is almost good enough to handle the dreaded Superhornet. Because Jap twirlybirds have a reputation of turning into Roman candles they feel manly, like a base jumper or something, pretending the Ki-84 is a risky proposition. Forgetting that it actual has both self-sealing fuel tanks and Skuzzy did the damage modeling like the the Jug family of armored aerocars. They feel its almost like a Zero with training wheels and bigger aleirons.

I think I covered all of the major violators of faith and trust. Now if you'll forgive me. I'm getting my bag of potato chips, my scarf, about to strap on my Fw-190A5, climb to 35,000 feet with my drop tank on and begin looking for birds on autoclimb while the noob is AFK changing their diapers.

boo
 :airplane:
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
Spits really are good planes to learn in when you're new to the game because they are simply good at everything. They are just a Jack of all trades, but master of none. I find them pretty easy to kill in just about any plane. (Unless Bruv is flying it!  :uhoh )

Brewster is the single ugliest fighter ever! I don't need to provide any information to back this opinion up as it is a fact!  :P

P-51s and La7s are just a slight annoyance. Very few people fly them to their full potential. You can easy avoid them with a simple flat turn and they go flying past at 400+ mph. I'm finding I'm just ignoring these plane more and more in furballs lately. I just avoid their shot and they pretty much give up after that.

109's are kind of like spitfire, they are pretty good at everything. The difference is the 109 is a Jack of all trades, master of some!  :devil

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
Spitfires 5 through 16, for reasons everyone but Spit pilots recognize.

I regret that I think the Yak-3 now fits in this class, at least in my opinion.  I've been able to beat people I have no right to beat, ever, by flying it.

Other than those, I believe that every plane in AH offers at least some challenges to a pilot.  And I'm glad we have the Spits and Yak-3 for people who can't put a lot of time into the game; to allow our Brits to fly their mystical ride of history; and to give people like me the reason to occasionally bray about something.

- oldman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:21 AM »
No matter what, the Yak-3 will never be a "noobish" ride simply because of its armament. You need to have above-average gunnery skill to make something out of one of the lighter gun packages with a very short total firing time.
Unlike a Spit 8/9/16, I would not recommend it for a total beginner to start his career with.

And for the record, my own career started with this progression: La-7 / Ki-84 / Tempest (which is really one of the easiest planes to rack up a lot of kills with)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:27:54 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
Easy ride-whatever you are good in.  Noobish-whatever you are good in that irritates other players.  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
I call any ride easy mode that when I don't even fly it I can up and land 5+ kills with substantial frequency.

Brewster is the ride I have a pet peeve with because the guys who fly it defend it by saying you can't escape from a fight and go home. Hell if your at a fight more then half way to another base you should be in a different ride anyway.

Also if you make training films while flying a brewster (And HOing in those films) you should slap yourself because that's not helping the overall community, your just breeding bad habits. Hashtag Vudu15 Hashtag Shots fired (Disclaimer, some of his films are good for new guys, he's just showing bad habits in parts is all)

At least a Spit has some nasty stall characteristics... only thing a brew can't do is accelerate in level flight.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:17 AM »
Yet the Brewster is among the top 10 victims of the LW arena 2013 ... few fighters have that much more deaths than kills, and most of them are mainly used as bomb trucks ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Easy rides.         109E. A6m3. A6m5.   Spits.  I love these rides dearly especially the spit 1
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Spit 8/9/16. Noob.
La7. Dweeb.
Pony. Picktard.
190D. Dora'hore.
 :neener:
AoM
City of ice

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
Ki84 although it is not perceived as such by the majority, great all round plane and angles fighter, but its biggest strength is its ability to take damage, everytime you take a shot that fails to inflict serious damage in a fight you are losing angles, something that a Ki84 gobbles up.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
Ki84 although it is not perceived as such by the majority, great all round plane and angles fighter, but its biggest strength is its ability to take damage, everytime you take a shot that fails to inflict serious damage in a fight you are losing angles, something that a Ki84 gobbles up.

That's two for the Ki84....and I for one generally agree with the assessment for the reasons noted above.  I'd also add it has good armament and quite a bit of ammo.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
all of them, 

The pilot is the only person that makes a difference.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
This topic is a giant troll. :aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs