Author Topic: ME-262  (Read 1372 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: ME-262
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
I wish I could watch some of my old films, I'd be happy to donate a few dozen 262 sorties, If flown like a fighter, you better have good SA, or just zoom through a horde at 500 and don't get Ho'd. Doesn't take much aim with 4 taters spudding out of it.

If you have films I would love to watch them  :rock

Upload them to mediafire or somewhere where I can download them and play them in the film viewer. If you're okay with that I'll send you my Email and you can send me the link.  :cheers:

:airplane:
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 06:20:58 PM »
Fly offline and practice takeoffs and landings.  Landings are tougher but improper runway or field selection can make takeoffs dangerous. 

Everything happens much faster than you are used to.  Overshoots are easy and if you get too greedy, collisions are even easier. 

Keep an eye on your fuel state at all times.  Once you get up to speed, throttling back a little bit can extend your sortie. 

If you are on the deck, don't get too slow.  With some alt, you can afford to slow down for maneuvering, as ludicrous speed is readily available by pointing your nose straight down. 

Watch out for overspeeding in a dive.  Very easy to zoom right by your target and face-plant your 200 perks.

Fire in short bursts.  Ammo goes quick.

Update your egress route often because you have everyone's attention and are public enemy #1.

Water maps are extra dangerous because unseen CVs can light you up before you even know they are there.  Even friendly puffy ack from CVs or strats can kill.  Trust me.  :furious

The 262 is the ultimate bomber killer under 30k.  Take your time to set up a high speed attack.  DON"T fly up the six for any reason. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
Fly offline and practice takeoffs and landings.  Landings are tougher but improper runway or field selection can make takeoffs dangerous. 

Everything happens much faster than you are used to.  Overshoots are easy and if you get too greedy, collisions are even easier. 

Keep an eye on your fuel state at all times.  Once you get up to speed, throttling back a little bit can extend your sortie. 

If you are on the deck, don't get too slow.  With some alt, you can afford to slow down for maneuvering, as ludicrous speed is readily available by pointing your nose straight down. 

Watch out for overspeeding in a dive.  Very easy to zoom right by your target and face-plant your 200 perks.

Fire in short bursts.  Ammo goes quick.

Update your egress route often because you have everyone's attention and are public enemy #1.

Water maps are extra dangerous because unseen CVs can light you up before you even know they are there.  Even friendly puffy ack from CVs or strats can kill.  Trust me.  :furious

The 262 is the ultimate bomber killer under 30k.  Take your time to set up a high speed attack.  DON"T fly up the six for any reason. 
Thank you.  :salute I'll have to write some of these down on note cards.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »
And don't attack my Stuka G-2.... If you do I will HO the crap out of you like I did the last guy who tried it.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
Stay above 500...300 isn't enough.  If you get caught lower than prop planes, the deuce will out roll any plane in the game at 500.  90 degrees left, then 180 right and disappear.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
Watch your speed diving. you will compress fast if going 400, 500 to begin with. You will lawndart.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
Practice your landings offline.  It is not like piston engined aircraft that have a big airbrake on the front when throttled back.  When you throttle back in the Me262 it does not start decelerating with any enthusiasm.

When a Mosquito Mk VI offers you a head on, politely decline it.  All of my Me262 kills are of Me262s that accepted my Mossie's offer of a head on.

Prop planes have much better acceleration at low speed than the Me262.  At high speed the situation reverses.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
There is a lot of information here I really wouldn't advise, but what would I know I sometimes lose 5-10 a month.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 10:49:29 PM »
Unless you use auto take-off do not hit auto climb after taking off or you'll nose plant it.  Level off, get speed then use set climb.

Throttle off and possibly cross control in a dive or you will likely auger.

In every plane I use point convergence for all my guns except the 262.  In the 262 I stagger the guns.  The closure rate is so fast throwing taters out of four staggered cannons increases the likelyhood of a hit and one hit is all it takes to knock someone out of the air.

If you decide to slow down and turn fight use only one gun bank at a time.

The key to landing is cross controlling prior to touchdown.  Flaps deploy at relaively high speed so get them out then side-slip to slow down.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:08 AM »
If I ever fly the 262, I'm the odd ball that rarely gets above 5k. I like finding a low furnace and coming in tree top high.  Talk about a surprise for vultures when they start climbing I'm front of me! Plus it reduces the chance of me lawn darting.

Most importantly,  have fun and take risks. Perk points are easy to obtain (especially by flying high ENY planes or by going into the Early or Mid War arena and fighting off the 7 guys attacking a country that has zero players).

#S#

Josh
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 02:04:54 AM »
Here's a few things I've learned over the years. Some might have already been posted but they are worth repeating.
1. Fire only one set of cannons at a time unless you are attacking bombers. 4x 30mm cannons is overkill for everything except bombers. If you fire only one set at a time, you double your firing time. Also, achieving consistent success with the 30mm cannons takes time. The ballistics are horrible compared to Hispanos or .50s. They take some getting used to.
2. Spread out the convergences for the cannons. If you spread them out it will increase the chances of a hit when firing all four.
3. You don't always have to fly at full throttle, especially if you are on your way to/from combat. I've found that 7500 RPMs will keep you fast enough to stay safe and will also conserve fuel.
4. Never land or take off from a base that has dar in the sector unless you are damaged or bingo fuel and have to make an emergency landing.
5. ALWAYS chop throttle and watch your speed when diving. There's no worse feeling than the feeling you get after you auger a 262, I've been there.
6. If you get an oil hit, but the engine is still working, shut it down and save it for landing if you can do so without putting yourself in danger. It is very difficult to land a 262 on one engine, especially for less-experienced 262 pilots. If you must land on one engine, try to make small throttle adjustments while on final or else you could go into a spin.
7. Make sure you adjust your views so you can see everything clearly. You have to keep your SA up at all times in the 262. Watch for planes that have an altitude advantage on you because they likely will do anything they can to shoot you down.
8. Pretty much every plane that has the chance to HO a 262 will do so. Don't let it happen.
9. Never attack a bomber from dead 6 o'clock. It's the best way to get yourself killed. Try slashing attacks from above or below or come from the front or sides. Also, make sure you leave yourself enough time to get out of the way. Collisions are a problem when flying the 262 simply because it is so much faster than everything else. The closure rates could be up to twice as fast as they would be if you were in a prop fighter.
10. DO NOT go near ships, strats, or HQs. The puffy ack has screwed over many 262 pilots. Also, if you go near the strats or HQ, you likely will see 163s. There's no escaping a 163 unless you run them out of fuel. They are vastly superior to the 262 in every way except for flight time.
11. Don't get slow when there is enemy around. There's pretty much nothing you can do in a 262 if you get caught low and slow.
12. Be careful when shooting while there are a lot of friendlies around. You DO NOT want to earn the special 262 achievement.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:07:30 AM by Pannono »
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:04 AM »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
Fly it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2_JnwsyB4

That guy's an amazing shot.

Nonetheless, the video is a wonderful illustration of why some find that flying the 262 is surprisingly boring.  Zoom-shoot-zoom-shoot, over and over.

- oldman

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »
Fly it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2_JnwsyB4

:aok

He's got some aim in his bot there. :D

Silliness aside, who is the current person to go to about the 262.  I haven't seen Grizz on in forever. :headscratch:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:02:29 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »
I lose at least 1 to 2 262s a month....but of course I am no BnZ fighter either...last two that I have lost were on the runway...so I must really suggest that you practice your landings...I've flown 262s for years and there is nothing worse than the feeling you get when the landing gear snap off  :bhead
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde