Author Topic: Dispersed Strats  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Dispersed Strats
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »
Wow!  Changes a lot, new strategies, new missions, lots of fights.

I was amazed when I logged in last night and the strats were spaced out for each country.  It seemed to get a lot of people involved in the dynamics of the "war".

I was told by a few that this was the way it was years ago.  I am sure some things will be better and some things will be worse but it certainly isn't boring.

Thanks for the fun HTC <S>
Wag more, bark less.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Dispersed Strats
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
GV scores will be greatly skewed from what they were before.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:41:32 AM by icepac »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
I like it. Scraps all over the map last night. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:55 AM »
I couldn't log on last night, but can't wait.  There use to be a day when you could take a base that had a spawn into one of their strats.  You could then drive there with an osti or an SKDF thingy, and lay waste to the strat in short order.  Then, I would sit next to the railroad track and blast the trains when they came in. 

Some days you just want to blow stuff up....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »
Good maybe on large maps, bad for small maps  :(
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
Wow!  Changes a lot, new strategies, new missions, lots of fights.

I was amazed when I logged in last night and the strats were spaced out for each country.  It seemed to get a lot of people involved in the dynamics of the "war".

I was told by a few that this was the way it was years ago.  I am sure some things will be better and some things will be worse but it certainly isn't boring.

Thanks for the fun HTC <S>

Agree'd, last night was a good time.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
Agreed.  'Twas fun.

Hoping it equates to more buff encounters too.   :D
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »
They seem in the same positions they were 10 years ago.  However I think it is better this way than a single mobile point of strat.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
What simply amazed me yesterday was the amount of  satisfaction and joy a lot of people experience when someone is not happy with a particular setup, and the knee-jerk reactions and defamatory statements & assumptions about your motives thrown around when you point out some possible gameplay problems you are seeing.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »
Im sure ill get flack for it but I am kind of torn about the whole thing.

One end yeah its kind of different and it seemed that there were a lot of fights all over the place, Defending seemed a lot more difficult and it actually appeared to leave factories quite exposed. I looked around at one point and ever country had 2 factories each that were either 0 or 1%. It is hard enough to get defenders for bases yet now you REALLY have to defend the strats cause they are out there in the open. I never really played when they were like this before so I have no experience other than the short time I was on last night.

I can see spreading them out a little but it seemed a little to much last night. I am a big buff guy and got quite a few bomber guys in my squad, with the new layout it kind of takes away from those large missions hitting strats and getting attacked by numerous defenders as they see the large dar move toward their strats, always made the runs fun whether we survived or not. As it is now your kind of limited on how many targets you get to hit.

I know part of the complaints were because they were all together it made it easy to drop them in a single run. Only argument I have to counter that point now that they are spread out is I never saw strat factories down to 0 or 1% unless there was a CV there bombing them, or like about a month ago when the bishy took all those bases by the rook strats. I have played a couple years now and the amount of time that the cluster got absolutely destroyed compared to just a bruising doesn't seem to justify having them all over the place exposed. Poor Snailman must be lost or going crazy tryin to defend all these positions now  :bhead.

I can understand spreading them out a little, maybe within a 40-50 mile radius though instead of from one end to the other end of the map.

I also did like the idea that someone had posted at one time of maybe breaking each country into 2-3 "zones" that each had their own set of strat factories that would directly impact that particular "zone". Obviously you could change it dependent on map size as to how many zones there are.

I will hopefully figure out some way of getting my own personal enjoyment from the current setup if it stays this way. Its just my initial thoughts about it for now though it does seem to encourage some fights which is good for the game. Im just not 100% sold on how it will impact strategy.

8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:05:38 PM »
Good, i liked the idea of centralized strats but the old way provided lots of targets.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:11:03 PM by whiteman »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »
Zoney Bases!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
LOL

Dolby is my friend :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline chris3

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

no more big bomber raids int strat aerea and  high alt fights around it  :cry  :cry

thats sad.

cu

Offline climber

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »
I've got to agree with the previous post about being torn about this new development. 

Initially I got a bit upset that our (Rook) strats had gotten totally thwacked and our ammo was down to 1%.  Once I took a look at Bish and Nitland and saw they were suffering as much or more I felt a bit better.  My concern is that this may spread out fights and make for new defenses it will ultimately result in a stalemate once the strats have been beaten into submission and a few devious players decide to go on a porking frenzy (ok I will go on a porking frenzy).  This would leave all frontline and deeper bases without the ability to fight a strategic or even tactical battle (unless they stick to non ordnance attacks).  This would again make for massive furball land with the ability to take bases hindered.

What are folk's thoughts on changing up supply percentages for strats?  I'm not saying to shift the pendulum the polar opposite but to tweak things and see what happens.  Part of defending strategic objectives is how fast can you get them back into action and return to the offense (the Germans did it well by spreading out their factories thus having the ability to quickly put them back into action).  Currently the vast numbers of supplies to raise a strat factory to any kind of usefulness almost makes resupply seem useless (I did say "almost" not totally).  How about changing either the strat downtimes a bit or make a box of cargo worth a bit more.

5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions