Author Topic: fighter Ranking formula Modification  (Read 7793 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: fighter Ranking formula Modification
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 01:40:46 PM »
For the bloody hell, +1! Even though my ride is eny10, its absolutely true. Defending against a mass of heavy fighters in a K4 or D9 can be fun, but a horde of La7s and 4hogs vulching a field is just disgusting.

But replacing the hit ratio with the amount of perk points earned is just a no-no. They playing time is already represented in the rank formula  ;)

you voted too late.  the voting is closed and the answer is no.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »

Actually, if you really kill twice as many planes by giving up 2% hit percentage, it's verly likely you will get rewarded by the rank system, as your k/s, k/d and k/h will just massively jump up.

It doesn't
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
This is a blatant lie.

Vinkman's scores for LW tour 168
Kills per Death + 1    1.49   459
Kills per Sortie    1.00   398
Kills per Hour of Flight    6.84   157
Kills Hit Percentage    11.39   80
Kill Points   12665.57   178

That's top 3% of pilots for accuracy.   :O

Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
It doesn't

Let's just look at your own score last tour:

rank sum 1556, which placed you at #141 in fighters

Now let's check how twice as many kills in exchange for a loss of 2% points of hit percentage would have played out:

K/D 2.9 would have resulted in rank 191
K/S 2.3 -> rank 41
K/H 11 -> rank 27  (I didn't double k/h, only assumed x1.5)
hit% 4.62 -> rank 939
Kill Points 24,000 -> rank 105 (again, just x1.5 points)

rank sum 1303, which would have given you fighter rank 102

Even if I had left your k/h and kill points alone (despite having twice as many kills), your rank would still have improved
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
Vinkman's scores for LW tour 168
Kills per Death + 1    1.49   459
Kills per Sortie    1.00   398
Kills per Hour of Flight    6.84   157
Kills Hit Percentage    11.39   80
Kill Points   12665.57   178

That's top 3% of pilots for accuracy.   :O

vinkman what exactly is the kills hit percentage?  is that percentage of rounds that actually hit a target?  just asking because mine is like 10.89 and I always empty my guns before landing.    I want to get that bullets wasted achievement.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »

Let's just look at your own score last tour:

(Image removed from quote.)

rank sum 1556, which placed you at #141 in fighters

Now let's check how twice as many kills in exchange for a loss of 2% points of hit percentage would have played out:

K/D 2.9 would have resulted in rank 191
K/S 2.3 -> rank 41
K/H 11 -> rank 27  (I didn't double k/h, only assumed x1.5)
hit% 4.62 -> rank 939
Kill Points 24,000 -> rank 105 (again, just x1.5 points)

rank sum 1303, which would have given you fighter rank 102

Even if I had left your k/h and kill points alone (despite having twice as many kills), your rank would still have improved

sorry lusche I think we're on different pages. I meant if you flew more sorties and killed twice as many planes at the same rate. Not if all the metrics were doubled.   but while you're at it, double only my hit% and see what happens to me rank.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:31:43 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
vinkman what exactly is the kills hit percentage?  is that percentage of rounds that actually hit a target?  just asking because mine is like 10.89 and I always empty my guns before landing.    I want to get that bullets wasted achievement.

semp

yes I believe it the % of your rounds fired that score damage. hitting a tree doesn't get you anything. Also, if you are in fighter mode, shooting building's yields no damage points, so those count as misses. Lusche confirm?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
sorry lusche I think we're on different pages. I meant if you flew more sorties and killed twice as many planes at the same rate.

If you killed twice as many planes it would almost mandatory result in a bigger k/s and k/h, especially if it would be a result of taking less care in shooting. If you get more kills by taking more low % shots, it raises your k/h and k/s. What you are now saying is shooting worse AND less kills in the same tame. That's a different claim.

but while you're at it, double only my hit% and see what happens to me rank.

Only doubling your hit% would have resulted in a fighter rank of 77
But similar would apply to the other categories:
Doubling your K/D - rank 95
Doubling K/S - rank 103
Doubling K/H - rank 123
Doubling points rank 118

Doubling your k/h gets the least improvement in total rank because it's already very good. It's in the nature of things that improving your worst category will result in the biggest improvement in overall rank. In your case that's K/D and hit%. But not because any of them is generically more important for the resulting fighter rank.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
It doesn't

Here's what I meant. A comparison of Dolby and Messiah. Both Stats are very similar with two big differences....

Messiah has flown more sorties and killed 1.6X the number of planes Dolby has. That difference earns him only 15 advantage toward his overall fighter rank. Dolby landed 2X bullet 15% vs 7.8% that difference earns him a 268 point advantage toward rank. One could argue that if hit% mattered, Dolby would have much better stats in the other categories. But without hit% the two are almost dead even. with it. Dolby is #5 and Messiah is #21

So having vastly more kills doesn't earn you much. While landing your bullets, even if that doesn't lead to any more kills, earns huge amount.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
You could do the same with ANY other category, if both players are reasonably close in all others. That's not exclusive to hit%. It's all abotu where you stand in each metric that defines how much you will gain overall by improving it.

Doubling a bad or mediocre hit% will gain you a lot in fighter rank. Doubling an already stellar hit% wont do much. The exactly the same would apply to  K/H or K/S...

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
You could do the same with ANY other category, if both players are reasonably close in all others. That's not exclusive to hit%. It's all abotu where you stand in each metric that defines how much you will gain overall by improving it.

Doubling a bad or mediocre hit% will gain you a lot in fighter rank. Doubling an already stellar hit% wont do much. The exactly the same would apply to  K/H or K/S...

Not exactly. The hockey stick shape of the hit% histogram indicates behavior in that metric that is not like the others. And at its limits, I.E. in the top 50 player, this causes its marginal utility to be higher than the other metrics.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
you voted too late.  the voting is closed and the answer is no.

semp
Thank you for explaining this fact for me. Welcome on my ignorelist.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
Like some others, my brain hurts with trying to understand some of the stats and formulas.

Can anyone answer this simple question accurately please:

If you fly a high ENY plane, i.e. a plane far from being a perk plane, does rank\score significantly factor this in?

Thanks.  :salute
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:51:16 PM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »

I don't play for score or rank

Sorry vink I should have spelt it out for you.
The only thing in your mind is rank and score.
You must think some of us were born yesterday; Common theme is score or rank with you, wishlist, questions, ingame, all score oriented.
If it weren't this may have started as a wish for asking that "the perks earned should be added as a score items. Which could help lesser aircraft get out of the hanger."

As for using my stats in an attempt to back up your wish, I think it has actually hindered it.
Of all the things you chose a Picker vs a Fighter. The fighter, gets his reward, that's justice for his efficiency on the trigger.

Hitting well is just as important as ACM. It is a skill in itself to judge where to aim and when to get that shot, some do it better than other some don't.
Distance of the shot is irrelevant, efficiency is.

Perks earned could possibly encourage lower ENY aircraft usage, score tards would get their reward for flying lesser aircraft.
Your motive is easy to see through; You want a stat that stands in your way removed, just so you can feed your endless ego and jump up the rank system to feel good about yourself.

If you truly want to feel good about yourself, forget score, and be happy in the way you fly and fight.
I've told you before numerous times. "Don't chase score it affects your flying and your thought process."

This wish is just an attempt to remove something in the path of your goal; a good rank. That's sad.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:50:50 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
Like some others, my brain hurts with trying to understand some of the stats and formulas.

Can anyone answer this simple question accurately please:

If you fly a high ENY plane, i.e. a plane far from being a perk plane, does rank\score significantly factor this in?

Thanks.  :salute

I asked a similar question upthread. You'll find your answer there.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort