Author Topic: Allied Bombing campaign  (Read 3166 times)

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
Re: Allied Bombing campaign
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
I saw Dresden in the mid 90's.  Hitch hiked from Berlin with a German friend.  We went to this bar there and when the bartender found out I was American, she had nothing nice to say and kindof glowered at me the rest of the time.  Not that I cared, nor was I offering apologies for that matter.  I just thought it a bit strange, both of us were born about 25 years after the war ended.

It's a neat City, the capitol off Saxony back in the day.  All the old buildings are scarred black from the fire.  In some places there is gold trim which makes a unique contrast to the black.  Worth a look if you have the chance.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
Something very important I would like to add. ........ Germany quit starting wars since the end of WW II. What was done was done fit and proper to bring a problem people into line with their neighbors. War is a terrible thing. Nothing will ever change that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Really, you don't want to start posting photos of wartime atrocities, particularly when you're expressing empathy for German victims.

- oldman

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »

Really, you don't want to start posting photos of wartime atrocities, particularly when you're expressing empathy for German victims.

- oldman

A victim is a victim regardless of nationality... However, this thread is named: "Allied Bombing campaign".
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
Nonsense. Dresden was a legitimate military target. It was a major transportation hub for moving troops and materials to the eastern front. It also had at least 100 military related factories, production including poison gas, aircraft parts, and artillery. It was the last of Germany's major cities that hadnt been bombed. What were we supposed to do?  let it go just because it had some nice architecture ?

It was the Germans who decided to militarize the city, including putting in a major Wehrmacht command center. Which our bombs destroyed.

I get tired of hearing it was just a terror bombing.

"It seems to me that the moment has come when the question of bombing of German cities simply for the sake of increasing the terror, though under other pretexts, should be reviewed. Otherwise we shall come into control of an utterly ruined land… The destruction of Dresden remains a serious query against the conduct of Allied bombing. I am of the opinion that military objectives must henceforward be more strictly studied in our own interests than that of the enemy. The Foreign Secretary has spoken to me on this subject, and I feel the need for more precise concentration upon military objectives such as oil and communications behind the immediate battle-zone, rather than on mere acts of terror and wanton destruction, however impressive."

- Winston Churchill
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:32 AM »
I saw Dresden in the mid 90's.  Hitch hiked from Berlin with a German friend.  We went to this bar there and when the bartender found out I was American, she had nothing nice to say and kindof glowered at me the rest of the time.  Not that I cared, nor was I offering apologies for that matter.  I just thought it a bit strange, both of us were born about 25 years after the war ended.

It's a neat City, the capitol off Saxony back in the day.  All the old buildings are scarred black from the fire.  In some places there is gold trim which makes a unique contrast to the black.  Worth a look if you have the chance.

You should have given her a picture of Churchill.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:12 AM »
A victim is a victim regardless of nationality... However, this thread is named: "Allied Bombing campaign".

Victims don't elect and follow a government who cant win world wars

Grand slam bombs would have reduced the carnage

They should have not upset the British because we were better  :)

And still are :)

The GFC

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 06:36:25 AM »
Dresden wasn't the first. Hamburg got the same treatment in July 1943.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
The German people are to blame as does the crimminal who gets killed doing no good.

TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS :banana:

The GFC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
The German people are to blame as does the crimminal who gets killed doing no good.

TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS :banana:

Medicate, mate.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 08:25:46 AM »
World war is tragedy.

Don't start nothing, won't be nothing.

"for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »
 :)

The GFC

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »

If the Allies did not stop Germany's intentions then this could be labeled "London" instead of Dresden.

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:49 AM »
By February 1945 I think it's safe to say that Germany's intentions towards London had been stopped already, and the German government had about two months left. The Red Army had advanced into Germany itself and the Allies had reached the Rhine.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
By February 1945 I think it's safe to say that Germany's intentions towards London had been stopped already, and the German government had about two months left. The Red Army had advanced into Germany itself and the Allies had reached the Rhine.

In February 1945 Hitler was still alive and calling for the extinction of people he deemed inferior. He had plenty of people willing to follw him continue the carnage he started.
No bombs fell on Germany after the surrender. Below is a picture of an 8th AF B-17 dropping food to people starving in the Netherlands.. Did Hitler do things like this or was it just the Allied
War Criminals?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV