Author Topic: Player Progress  (Read 1574 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Player Progress
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Dude, just buy and read "Fighter Combat" by Robert Shaw. The you'll have an idea of what you're trying to do in ACM. These pilots and websites that try to teach you, God bless 'em, but most of them aren't conveying a holistic picture of the whole affair clearly.

Yes, pretty much the same. Upped in a horde attack you were on last week. I remember you were in the yak and just about everyone else upped 38's. One step you left out, After I get my butt ground up I leave the tape rolling a bit, hopefully the fight stays in range so I can watch others and how they keep from ending up like I did. First lesson I got was 38 has dive breaks!!! OOps would have used them, but nope. lol  :bhead :headscratch: :bhead
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
There are primarily four situations you encounter Durring prime time hours, base take " generally implies a horde", base defense " flying against a horde", furball "horde on horde", and finally flying solo to an enemy base. Durring base take ops I tend to fly the pony " difficult to drop hangers in a yak" how ever if some one calls for a cap I will up a yak. Since I am not the biggest fan of losing I do tend to join some missions. That being so the Bish tend to be outnumbered Durring prime time hours so I am primarily regulated to base defense. I have found the best time to engage a 1v1 is between 12pm and 4pm est and then between 11pm and 1am est

Chuikov

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
6. This is a great game with a great player base minus a few exceptions

Yes, yes it is.  Glad you stuck with it long enough to have learned these lessons. 

You're here for good now, I hope you realize that. 

- oldman

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
One year approaching myself and the plane I find myself in time and again is the ki-84, and I truly do enjoy a good 1v1, but really any situation u learn from was a good one, and as always top on the list is having fun.  :cheers:
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
One year approaching myself and the plane I find myself in time and again is the ki-84, and I truly do enjoy a good 1v1, but really any situation u learn from was a good one, and as always top on the list is having fun.  :cheers:

that is a damn good choice in a plane.... :rock

I think for fighting lone wolf in the MA there is no "better" then the Ki84......

funny I don't fly much anymore but FSO and a couple hours before that....we had the P39D....so I take it to TT I engage a couple fighters...3 sorties....all ended with me fighting at least 3 to 5 guys.....no kills.....

I am fighting hard....stall buzzer screaming....trying to get that 39 to perform...missed by a huge margin any shot I may have gotten....

say ok screw this...Ki84 time......I go back and engage a couple more red...end up fighting at least 7 red guys...kill one here and there more come in.....I get 3 kills and and get to go land when bingo ammo...shot up missing pieces.....

Love the Ki84 beware of the Deaths head :rock

as far as the OP.....nope I started out different....I took to fighters naturally.... jumped in a zero and went to the biggest dar.....by the second month I think I got 400 kills...yes I died over 600 times...haha and was called a cheater within my first 2 weeks of playing :rofl.....never having flown a flying game before...except Fighter Ace for about a month....

I wanted to become one of if not the most feared fighter in the air..... 

sadly my aim is so horrible I will never get to being that feared stick I wanted to be :cry

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
Sorry about that M3......I was headed to your field of origin and we would have passed without seeing each other except that I hid in a barn to make a sandwich and heard you.

I like pilots here who are intrepid enough to do such things.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:16 AM »
Against a 190-D9 at low alt, you're an angles fighter.
Ehm... try it  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:53 AM »
Ehm... try it  ;)

I have from, both sides. The P-51D at low altitude has worse climb, acceleration, and top speed, and better turn radius. That clearly makes it the angles fighter vs. the 190-D9 in AHII.

Somewhere there is an old combat report from a P-51B pilot successfully avoiding a D9 pilot by turning, but the D9 pilot uses vertical tactics on him to keep lining up shots until the Bravo pilot dove out...alas I can't remember the pilot's name and thus cannot find it online.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
I have from, both sides. The P-51D at low altitude has worse climb, acceleration, and top speed, and better turn radius. That clearly makes it the angles fighter vs. the 190-D9 in AHII.

Somewhere there is an old combat report from a P-51B pilot successfully avoiding a D9 pilot by turning, but the D9 pilot uses vertical tactics on him to keep lining up shots until the Bravo pilot dove out...alas I can't remember the pilot's name and thus cannot find it online.
Just try it  ;)  Pony vs Dora was my favourite matchup, nearly equal aircrafts with the Dora having advantage in the uphill and the Pony in the downhill. The one who can force his fight on the other, wins.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
It takes a long time and a lot of practice to get really good in this game. I'm approaching 8 years soon and I'm still learning!

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »
It takes a long time and a lot of practice to get really good in this game. I'm approaching 8 years soon and I'm still learning!

Knowing u have 8 vice my one year makes me feel good about lasting more then one merge with you 9/10 times resulting in my death but that one time does feel good  :cheers:
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:34 AM »
i'm not through my first year yet, but have had a similar training path. Started out just wanted to hear the guns go pew! pew! and keep my aircraft in the air. This transitioned quickly into, DIE you AI circling scum!

Once I was confident against the offline AI, (of which killed me a few times, at least the abrupt stop at the ground when I lost control of my aircraft did). I signed in.  :confused:

Now what, which arena do I goto? Training arena? Nobody home. Alright, lets jump into the arena with players in it already (LWMA). This was a horrible and exciting eye opener for me.... I still remember thinking a friendly was an enemy and that person politely (as all AH players are.. :lol ) letting me that my tracers rounds whipping by him were not appreciated. I didn't hit the guy but scared him a little.

After many a death without even understanding the most basic ACM principles, I decided that bombers MUST be easier to fly. I found them to be a comfort, especially once I became more accustomed to the vox and communication system.  I slowly learned to put the fear of the .50 cal into arrogant fighter jocks.  I shadowed 999000 and learned a few more tips & tricks to lay lead on the enemy.

I found that the player base is the single best tool for growing in this game. Weather it be training information or little known dot commands, ask a player in game and 9/10 you will get a response that is usable. One of the biggest things thus far has been stick to an aircraft you feel comfortable in and try to learn it's limitations and advantages. The ol' B-17 and P-47M were my starter aircraft. I like many other WWII enthiusiasts get giddy like a kid when talking about the P-51D, but in game, i found the P-47M to be more stable.

At any rate, Aces High is worth it's weight in sweat from my palm when you get those 1on1 that last seemingly forever with little indication as to who has the advantage. I had a fight with a Yak yesterday that I couldn't believe the maneuvers that were exectued; KooniKat, you sir can make your Yak float. wtf.  I'd be more upset, but I didn't get film and I had my chances so.....  :salute

To new players - Simply put in the hours, you'll get better quicker than you think   :old:
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Online Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »
I like the 47m too, I will once a week climb out to 30k and patrol for Buffs near strats.

Chuikov

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
<-----i can think of 1 p-51d you'll have trouble with :joystick:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Online Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
Look foward to it, I prefer my horse meat burnt

Chuikov