Author Topic: More and more bailing after bombing  (Read 7800 times)

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
Re: More and more bailing after bombing
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
You were obviously bailed on and now you come to the forums to whine and cry. They're only cartoon/pixel planes. You don't get a prize at the end of the sortie. This cartoon world doesn't pay your bills. So, Why take it so serious?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:51:21 AM by BiPoLaR »
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
I've never had bombers bail on me ever.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »

Sadly, that would be probably too difficult to code.  No way to tell the difference between a porker who augers and someone who simply gets bled out of E and augers during a turn-fight.  They also both take a death, so it's not really the same as bailing.  Nice attempt at deflecting the topic though.
It's not really any different...  How many times do you see a run-90 auger after killing the radar?  It's a weak minded approach to the game that requires almost no skill for the simple accomplishment of the task without any desire to engage...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »

How often do you up to intercept bomber(ing) runs? I've been here a year and a half and would estimate I've seen it done to avoid combat with me 12-15 times. Enough to make me ask myself is it worth it to up for bombers. Given my limited time for the past 6 months, I'll usually opt for anything else available, sometimes that means sitting in the tower or logging off.

If I knew they wouldn't do it or else they get penalized, I be much more inclined, but as several have pointed out, there are too many ways to work around a penalty, i.e. auger on purpose, etc. So ho hum, back to square one.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »

Lucky, lucky you ;)

There are basically two types of bailers:

The first is the classic bomb'n'bailer, who's doing it to decrease turn around time and thus increasing his efficiency in the 'war game'. He's not interested in score, and for the most part he doesn't care if anyone gets a kill from his bail or not.
And there's about nothing that can be done about it, as all 'solutions' that came up over the years are either easily circumvented or have negative  side effects on gameplay that outweigh any possible gains from it. (perk loss, no bail from undamaged planes, no reupping for X minutes, bomb damage removed if bailing withing Y seconds...)

The second one is mainly griefing. He doesn't care much about his score, he just does not want to 'give' you a kill, for whatever reasons. He's frequently flying at excessive altitudes and bailing if some interceptor is actually taking the time and closing in on him, often just after getting ion icon range so he can assess the threat you are posing to him.
This is usually the one frustrating other players the most, especially if the fighter pilot had to invest a lot of time and effort to track the enemy and hunt him down.
There's not much that can generally be done about this type either, but I think that increasing proxy range to icon range limit might cut it down a bit. At least, I see no harm from it, or does anyone else do?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline -27th-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:48 PM »
In my experience, I very rarely encounter it and I fly  :airplane: anywhere between 12PM-3AM Pacific. I think this is a non-issue and if it happens, so what. Move on.

:salute

27th

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
In my experience, I very rarely encounter it and I fly  :airplane: anywhere between 12PM-3AM Pacific. I think this is a non-issue and if it happens, so what. Move on.

:salute

27th
So, if you spend 25 minutes climbing to intercept bombers, and they bail, and that happens once or twice a night, you would be okay with it, right?

While it's a non-issue for me two, happened a hand full of times to me, I am still empathetic to the plight of others, and understand the problem.  Depending on your flight profile, you may never see this happen...  Why be so harsh?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
It's not really any different...  How many times do you see a run-90 auger after killing the radar?  It's a weak minded approach to the game that requires almost no skill for the simple accomplishment of the task without any desire to engage...

Oh, I totally agree with you that both are a weak approach to the game.  I was saying they are different in two ways; one, the bomb-auger guy is taking a death, not a bail; and two, the bomb-bail thing seems simpler to code away: just remove the ability to bail from planes not critically damaged.

In the grand scheme I agree with you.  There are lots of players who play the game in a "suicide mode", not wanting either to fight or even survive a sortie.  For me (and again this is my opinion) this takes away from the immersion and intensity and fun of the game.  I don't want to play a combat game against people who don't want combat and especially those who don't even make an effort to survive.  

For those that say it doesn't happen a lot because they don't see it, I disagree with you. During my MA hours (usually late West Coast US) I was finding players of this type more and more frequently and those who wanted to fight less and less frequent.  Perhaps I saw it more, because I often fly solo and tend to defend bases when I do.  It got to the point where if I approached a dot on dar, I expected it to bail at icon range.  It reached a tipping point where I decided it was no longer worth playing in the MA and I unsubbed.

I'm hoping the game improves, which is why I keep my hat in the ring here.  I like the game in general, as it's the best combat flight sim going.  I really like FSO and flying with my squad.  I like continuing to learn and helping other players also.  The MA just stopped being fun for me largely because of the "hide and sneak" bailers and the suicide-squad crowd.  Unfortunately, the LWMA is where 90% of the action is.

The gamey bailing function is probably my greatest pet peeve.  It is used to game the game AND to grief other players.  This is why I advocate so strongly to see it go.

My opinions.  YMMV.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:40:18 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Arbiter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »

In the grand scheme I agree with you.  There are lots of players who play the game in a "suicide mode", not wanting either to fight or even survive a sortie.  For me (and again this is my opinion) this takes away from the immersion and intensity and fun of the game.  I don't want to play a combat game against people who don't want combat and especially those who don't even make an effort to survive.  

<S>
Ryno

This.   :aok
Arbiter

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
So, if you spend 25 minutes climbing to intercept bombers, and they bail, and that happens once or twice a night, you would be okay with it, right?

While it's a non-issue for me two, happened a hand full of times to me, I am still empathetic to the plight of others, and understand the problem.  Depending on your flight profile, you may never see this happen...  Why be so harsh?

I agree with those that it's really a non-issue and not as prevalent as some try to make it.  I've had it done to me many times over the years and I just chalk it up to the other person being a complete and utter dweeb and happily mock them for being so.  In the MW arena when I used to play in there, there was a player named 'sooner' (account used by father/son) and you could tell which one was playing by the plane they bailed out in.  The son would fly bombers and would bail at the first sign of an enemy icon, while the father flew fighters and would bail as soon as you got on his six.  One day, I ran into the father in his Ki-61 during my sortie, he actually bailed 10 times on me which gave me 10 proxy kills.  I just laughed at him and upped for another sortie.  Sure I wasted my time but it's only a game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
I agree with those that it's really a non-issue and not as prevalent as some try to make it.  I've had it done to me many times over the years and I just chalk it up to the other person being a complete and utter dweeb and happily mock them for being so.  In the MW arena when I used to play in there, there was a player named 'sooner' (account used by father/son) and you could tell which one was playing by the plane they bailed out in.  The son would fly bombers and would bail at the first sign of an enemy icon, while the father flew fighters and would bail as soon as you got on his six.  One day, I ran into the father in his Ki-61 during my sortie, he actually bailed 10 times on me which gave me 10 proxy kills.  I just laughed at him and upped for another sortie.  Sure I wasted my time but it's only a game.

ack-ack

I'm glad that you haven't encountered it as much as I have and that those who did bail allowed you to get into proxy range first.  Clearly you don't feel it's negatively affecting your play time.  That doesn't mean it doesn't negatively affect others.

Of behalf of those of us who have seen it more frequently, especially during our MA hours, my question to those who don't see it as often is this:

How would eliminating the ability to bomb and bail negatively affect your play in AH?

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:34:54 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
I don't bail often because I'm usually shot down first!  But thinking about how and when I might bail its usually for a specific reason....base alert, squad rolling a mission or country rolling a mission you want to be apart of.....or at home something has come up!, and you just gotta go! <S>

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »

I'm glad that you haven't encountered it as much as I have and that those who did bail allowed you to get into proxy range first.  Clearly you don't feel it's negatively affecting your play time.  That doesn't mean it doesn't negatively affect others.

Of behalf of those of us who have seen it more frequently, especially during our MA hours, my question to those who don't see it as often is this:

How would eliminating the ability to bomb and bail negatively affect your play in AH?

<S>
Ryno
:airplane: Today, after hitting a base and town with my 17's, I was RTB and noticed 3 lanc's heading to P161 in MLW arena. I was empty of ords, so started after the lanc's and after much yo-yoing up and down to catch him, we exchanged gunfire and I killed all 3 of the Lanc's! Another reason not to bail guys!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »
Why have none of you freaks asked lucifer who the chick is on his avatar :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:51 PM »