Author Topic: A6M2 paint color  (Read 4752 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A6M2 paint color
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
I've read conflicting reports on the zero color. Anybody got a good swatch or good RGB or CMYK value?

Also looking for something similar for the late war green the japanese used as well.... thanks!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A6M2 paint color
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
You've stumbled into the single most debated topic of correct paint color from WW2.
Here's a link to an 8 page discussion on a model builder's forum. http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=172153

Or, just use a color similar to what Greebo uses on the default skin. He follows the current consensis that the color was a light kahki.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:23:22 PM »
The j-aircraft site has lots of research articles on Japanese aircraft. The article on "Zero Camouflage Schemes" should be useful to you.

Zeroes were made by both Mitsubishi and Nakajima and both companies used their own shades of green, grey and black. Nakajima-built aircraft began arriving at the front sometime in 1942 IIRC. In mid 43 the IJNAF added green uppersides to the factory standard A6M scheme of all over grey with a black cowl. Prior to this many units had already added ad hoc green camo using whatever paint they could get hold of.

For factory painted green and grey Zeroes there is a way of telling which factory made it. Mitsubishi-built aircraft had the fuselage camo division running in a straight line from the rear of the wing to the tip of the tail cone. Nakajma-built aircraft had the division run from the rear of the wing curving diagonally up to the front of the horizontal tail.

These are the RGB colours I used for my A6M skins:

Mitsubishi: green=36/42/32   grey=120/116/87   black=26/26/40
Nakajima:  green=45/58/49   grey=141/147/137   black=34/33/38

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
Outstanding guys! I appreciate the responses! I knew there was some lengthy discussion on the subject.

I am trying to match up T shirt colors through Gildan for some side work I am getting ready to start.

I had it narrowed down between two a piece already so I went ahead and ordered the shirts before anyone could respond here and for the Light Grey Color I went with Serene Green and Sand and for the Dark Green Color I ordered Turf Green and Forest Green.

http://www.imagintee.com/images/source/imaginTEE_GildanColorChart.png

I nearly went with Pistachio.

What do you think? Any colors look closer for the Grey and Green?

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »
The colours you picked look a pretty good match to me.