Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7165 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »
It is a shame that many people look at the graphics and don't see the quality of the game 'from the outside store window'. 

Compared to the games of this generation I can easily see how many are turned off by the dated graphics. I can also see how many are turned off by the more challenging gameplay also.  Many games of this generation (if not all of them) are made to make the player feel "badass" where you slaughter supposedly trained enemy soldiers and come out on top. All while being able to tell if they have zits on their faces or not.  :eek:

Personally, I am not concerned of graphics, but the quality of the game.  There are many games out there that have nice graphics but poor or limited gameplay.  I value the quality or the heart of the game over graphics any day. However, to see HTC work on the terrain the way they are now, I am excited to see what the final outcome will be when it's all finished.  :aok

I think the biggest turn off to new players though (if they walk in the door), is the flight model. It is challenging, and many who play games to be 'badass' don't like challenging. At least not on the scale that HTC offers, where it takes years to be good.  However, I would rather play a game like this where you actually need to know what you are doing. Rather than playing Call of Duty and "quickscoping" other players knowing where they most common paths are taken, and calling that skillz.

HTC has kept me here for 6 years. I'd say they are doing something right  :aok

:salute

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
It is a shame that many people look at the graphics and don't see the quality of the game 'from the outside store window'. 

Compared to the games of this generation I can easily see how many are turned off by the dated graphics. I can also see how many are turned off by the more challenging gameplay also.  Many games of this generation (if not all of them) are made to make the player feel "badass" where you slaughter supposedly trained enemy soldiers and come out on top. All while being able to tell if they have zits on their faces or not.  :eek:

Personally, I am not concerned of graphics, but the quality of the game.  There are many games out there that have nice graphics but poor or limited gameplay.  I value the quality or the heart of the game over graphics any day. However, to see HTC work on the terrain the way they are now, I am excited to see what the final outcome will be when it's all finished.  :aok

I think the biggest turn off to new players though (if they walk in the door), is the flight model. It is challenging, and many who play games to be 'badass' don't like challenging. At least not on the scale that HTC offers, where it takes years to be good.  However, I would rather play a game like this where you actually need to know what you are doing. Rather than playing Call of Duty and "quickscoping" other players knowing where they most common paths are taken, and calling that skillz.

HTC has kept me here for 6 years. I'd say they are doing something right  :aok

^This!  :aok :cheers:

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Compared to the games of this generation I can easily see how many are turned off by the dated graphics. I can also see how many are turned off by the more challenging gameplay also.  Many games of this generation (if not all of them) are made to make the player feel "badass" where you slaughter supposedly trained enemy soldiers and come out on top. All while being able to tell if they have zits on their faces or not.  :eek:

Personally, I am not concerned of graphics, but the quality of the game.  There are many games out there that have nice graphics but poor or limited gameplay.  I value the quality or the heart of the game over graphics any day. However, to see HTC work on the terrain the way they are now, I am excited to see what the final outcome will be when it's all finished.  :aok

I think the biggest turn off to new players though (if they walk in the door), is the flight model. It is challenging, and many who play games to be 'badass' don't like challenging. At least not on the scale that HTC offers, where it takes years to be good.  However, I would rather play a game like this where you actually need to know what you are doing. Rather than playing Call of Duty and "quickscoping" other players knowing where they most common paths are taken, and calling that skillz.

HTC has kept me here for 6 years. I'd say they are doing something right  :aok

All good points, but graphics do matter way more to any "new" gamers then 10 years ago,no need to give up ,up to date graphics for realistic flight models.
When i started playing 8 years ago this game was a little behind on graphics,but in the last 10 years it has fallen fast.
I have high hopes that the new update will catch us up a little ,but we need way better and  more interesting maps (snow) (desert) better eye candy .I think that's all that will bring in "new" numbers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:54:08 PM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »
When i started playing 8 years ago this game was a little behind on graphics,but in the last 10 years it has fallen fast.

[Russian interrogator voice] Give secret to 2 year time warp. [/Russian interrogator voice]

This game has had graphic improvements in the last ten years. It has also had non-stop support and updates.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:06:14 PM by Arlo »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »
Have you ever looked at Greebo & others' beautiful skins?  Have you ever taken the time to look at the little details like the buildings in towns?  The graphics are just fine.  Stop being a bunch of X-boxers before I Bish-slap ya's.  My household has more members than HTC's staff.  They've done a great job.  Show me another company with so few employees that has pulled off what they've done & been successful at it.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
[Russian interrogator voice] Give secret to 2 year time warp. [/Russian interrogator voice]

This game has had graphic improvements in the last ten years. It has also had non-stop support and updates.
It has had 1 major update on graphics in this time,which never was up to par with other games.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Have you ever looked at Greebo & others' beautiful skins?  Have you ever taken the time to look at the little details like the buildings in towns?  The graphics are just fine.  Stop being a bunch of X-boxers before I Bish-slap ya's.  My household has more members than HTC's staff.  They've done a great job.  Show me another company with so few employees that has pulled off what they've done & been successful at it.
Doing a lot with a little still WONT bring in new players.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »
It has had 1 major update on graphics in this time,which never was up to par with other games.

*sigh*

Give me a count on the number of online flight sims that have been around a decade and a half with regular updates (including graphics). There are games out there with deep pockets and high dollar advertising (which is really what brings numbers). Minecraft has sold over 35 million copies and it had little to do with amazing graphics. Get back to me when any flight sim outlasts AH.  :D

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
*sigh*

Give me a count on the number of online flight sims that have been around a decade and a half with regular updates (including graphics). There are games out there with deep pockets and high dollar advertising (which is really what brings numbers). Minecraft has sold over 35 million copies and it had little to do with amazing graphics. Get back to me when any flight sim outlasts AH.  :D
Im not trying to be right...numbers are falling fast, 16 people in the air don't look like a company that's doing everything right. Im just making suggestions to make game play better.
No worries im sure your right all the way, no need to keep this up. :aok
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:24:17 PM by Sunka »

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »
so you say you dont say the graphics look terrible but you do agree with others who say the graphics look terrible.  so which one is it?

semp

I think you should try reading my comments again. Either you are being deliberately obtuse for some strange reason, in which case I have no wish to engage with you, or you are not able to correctly interpret what I have written.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »

I don't think anyone is slamming HTC for not doing a good enough job with the game. I think the reason we are all having this conversation is because we are passionate fans of AH, and therefore of what HTC has achieved.

The conversation began around the current lack of players, continued on to speculations about why the game might be slowly dying out, and then some people (not me) mentioned that they feel the dated graphics are a turn-off for potential new players.

If more people tried reading and discussing with their brains, instead of just engaging 'mindless sycophant' mode when logging in to these forums, it might be a much more interesting place for all who take part :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
Speaking of Minecraft and what it takes to get the word out and bring in players:

"Social media sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit played a significant role in popularizing Minecraft."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
I don't think anyone is slamming HTC for not doing a good enough job with the game. I think the reason we are all having this conversation is because we are passionate fans of AH, and therefore of what HTC has achieved.

The conversation began around the current lack of players, continued on to speculations about why the game might be slowly dying out, and then some people (not me) mentioned that they feel the dated graphics are a turn-off for potential new players.

If more people tried reading and discussing with their brains, instead of just engaging 'mindless sycophant' mode when logging in to these forums, it might be a much more interesting place for all who take part :aok
:aok
Some think if your not a brown noser your not for HTC .

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »

Or ... if more people didn't just see 'a mindless sycophant' when others insert the pros of this game versus perceived cons then it might be a more honest conversation.  :cool: :cheers: