Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

Btw, this is what Il-2 looked like back in 2001:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Well that thread is active in all it's glory so the quote you farmed can be viewed in context (which is good). Skuzzy is talking about overall potential market (in that 2011 thread) and the business practice of making the game available to the broadest number of potential consumers. He is not talking about this community's ineptitude or limitations when it comes to building the ultimate gaming box (though a small game company like HTC wanting to try to develop a game which requires such makes no fiscal sense on either the promotion or development end).

Shall we list why IL2 is not considered a superior game to AHII?

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »
Shall we list why IL2 is not considered a superior game to AHII?

No need.  :)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
No need.  :)

There's lots of old threads with quotes.  :D

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
I agree with most "modern games make it too easy"

I think thats a huge factor that people just dont realize....(well obviously some do)

most younger people have no clue what it is to work for something....
they want to be the best right away....
and they want it to "look" as real as possible...

Skyrim.....awesome graphics.....but no damn way should a guy be able to kill a 90' fire breathing flying dragon.....

with a sword....
yet they are easy to kill.....and its absurd....

AH is the exact opposite... its gonna take work to get good....dedication...

no friggen power ups here :aok

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
Try beating a pimple-faced teen in a multiplayer first-person shooter. Easy is not how I would describe it.  :lol
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
Well there's the ad angle then (whether it be a YouTube vid, web page banner, Tweet ... whateveah):

Fighter pilots in World War II had to have situational awareness, nerves of steel, technical know-how, good marksmanship and natural flying instinct. It's hard to find a simulation that even approximates the challenges they faced. Maybe it got just a little less hard to find.

Aces High II.

Are you up to the challenge?

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »

I think thats a huge factor that people just dont realize....(well obviously some do)

Skyrim.....awesome graphics.....but no damn way should a guy be able to kill a 90' fire breathing flying dragon.....

with a sword....

And you and i might be okay with this but,numbers are getting smaller all the time.
So we keep it as is, let the old ways dictate our future road or change ways?
Not such an easy question for anyone.
But one thing is for sure ,this is the ONLY flight sim i love and no matter what comments come we should listen to  all, when dictated by those who care.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:45:03 PM by Sunka »
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »

with a sword....

One would think their are plenty of people who actually want to *simulate ACM*, the greatest duel/chess game men have ever engaged in. Swordsmanship is also a hobby of mine...well, I can`t afford to play paintball with P-51 everyday, so I have the computer. I guess it means something that no other form of gaming has ever had long term appeal. As for learning curve...it is just not all that steep as people say if you learn to fly airplanes in sims and study some ACM. Years long learning curves only exist if you try toget it by flying and dying in the MA only.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if AH looked like this three year old game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tugifv2YIw8

Like I said, I have high hopes for the GFX update in the works.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
You have an unusual fixation with IL2 for a dedicated AHII player.  :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Try beating a pimple-faced teen in a multiplayer first-person shooter. Easy is not how I would describe it.  :lol

Even still though.  You don't really have to know or understand all that much to do FPS's well, once you've gotten good at one the rest are mechanically identical.

Learn the (usually tiny) maps, and have the twitch skills to point the crosshair at the head of the other guy.  Gunnery is rarely modeled beyond dispersion.  SA is required to a certain degree, but not to the extent it is here.  Rarely in an FPS is there the constant possibility for someone to come in from a position of advantage behind you.

This also has a whole bunch of other factors to take into account.

One would think their are plenty of people who actually want to *simulate ACM*

I am one, and I don't think that at all.  You're here already, so you have the right kinds of interests for this to appeal to you, but consider people you know casually, outside the people you really get along with.  How many of them would want to learn ACM?  We're a rarity.

So we keep it as is, let the old ways dictate our future road or change ways?
Not such an easy question for anyone.

For me, the answer is simple.  This is the kind of gameplay I enjoy when it's good.  If they were to change it to be more like war thunder or any of the other games out there, I would have a pretty good chance of becoming vastly uninterested.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »

For me, the answer is simple.  This is the kind of gameplay I enjoy when it's good.  If they were to change it to be more like war thunder or any of the other games out there, I would have a pretty good chance of becoming vastly uninterested.

For YOU yes ..and maybe for me to ,but numbers are dropping,not because its a great sim.
Then why,with more gamers then ever?
The only only only thing this game lacks is great graphics,assuming we are not talking about the crying 200 community.
We need answers i would think,or just hide our heads in the sand.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
But the number of people who actually wanted to simulate ACM was much higher *only* 5-10 years ago but has dropped? Why? Could a sudden spate of flying movies or the 100th anniversary of WWI change that?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2014, 03:55:35 PM »
You have an unusual fixation with IL2 for a dedicated AHII player.  :D

Actually I'm playing Il-2 Clod now with the Fusion mod. I just can't justify the expenses of playing AH with the dated graphics. However, like I said, I have high hopes for the GFX update in the works. I also have a huge backlog of purchased games on Steam that I'm trying to get through as well.

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
double post
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:08:58 PM by Gemini »