Author Topic: Making bases easier to take  (Read 1493 times)

Offline matt

• Silver Member
Re: Making bases easier to take
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
While reading the thread about the "work in process" base layout I came across this post about changing the settings for base capture.

Not to single out GHI as we know there are many others, Jokers, ET and more that PROMOTE these mega missions to take a base. It doesn't take all of them, but they ALWAYS bring them all to do it. And then they say its the ONLY way to take a base these days..... its too hard to take a base with less than 30 guys. A few friends (6 guys) and I took a base last night, and started in on a second one which we would have taken had we not let the troops run to soon (didn't have the cap in place well enough). It ended up as a horde take in the end because it was pretty much the only fight going on at the time, but the point is that a few organized player CAN take a base as they are set up now.

If you bring a horde it attracts attention and so you get more defense showing up. If you spread the force out and hit 3 bases at once the forces are smaller and so don't attract as much attention. Doing so spreads the fight out and so the defense. Its up to the players to fix this issue, not HTC to make it easier. If HTC made the changes suggested above the base capture per hour would would sky rocket as the hordes would roll two and three bases, one after the other, with out landing to rearm.  It would truly turn into a race to win the war.   
It on takeS 1 guy to take a field if u do it right not 6 that's to many.........

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
If you alter either to make bases easier to take all you will end up with are hordes taking bases at record pace and blowing through maps some of us would like to see stay up for more then a few hours.
I see no problem with a fast map rotation. I do see a problem with the big maps that stay up for a week.

It on takeS 1 guy to take a field if u do it right not 6 that's to many.........
Yes, it takes 1 guy in MWA, when it is evening time in Midway, in the middle of the week.

It is interesting to do the experiment: one guy tries to capture a base, while the other keeps running in with M3s to resupply it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
What might be interesting is if a base is shutdown(All hangers down)  it stays shutdown for say two hours whither it is captured or not.  That time could be reduced by supplies.  Not sure how it would play out but interesting to think about.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »
What might be interesting is if a base is shutdown(All hangers down)  it stays shutdown for say two hours whither it is captured or not.  That time could be reduced by supplies.  Not sure how it would play out but interesting to think about.

In AW, you could pork or shut down a base and almost keep it shut down indefinitely if you prevented the supply goons from coming in or took out the main supply base for that country, which resulted in no fields getting supplied.  It usually resulted in players moving to another arena or logging off.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
In AW, you could pork or shut down a base and almost keep it shut down indefinitely if you prevented the supply goons from coming in or took out the main supply base for that country, which resulted in no fields getting supplied.  It usually resulted in players moving to another arena or logging off.

ack-ack

The difference here is it is down completely for two hours without any interaction.  Now in fifteen minutes the hangers start to pop.  My thought is to allow the option to move on without town capture.  The big maps might roll over quicker.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
I see no problem with a fast map rotation. I do see a problem with the big maps that stay up for a week.
Yes, it takes 1 guy in MWA, when it is evening time in Midway, in the middle of the week.

It is interesting to do the experiment: one guy tries to capture a base, while the other keeps running in with M3s to resupply it.

dont do ewa or mwa done it all in ltw peak time.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »

Any thing is possible and I have done V bases on my own many times. The point is we DON'T need the bases easier to capture, we need smarter players trying to capture them.   Create more battles, which creates more opportunities.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
I guess it would be much harder to "make players better at taking bases" since I routinely seem them in a conga line headed in a totally predictable straight line from vehicle spawn to enemy base or from one base to the target base.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 10:14:57 PM »
  I was recently with a group of five or six people, not thirty, and we captured a couple of bases.  Then the other team figured out where we were headed, and we ended up in a huge furball.  Good times.

I have also been a part of the Devil Dogs missions, where there are several groups of bombers sweeping in and killing a base before getting troops into town.  Working together with the team to capture the objective was a lot of fun. 
 :x  :x

Then there are times when we are met with a horde of defenders, and they keep us from taking the base. 
 Frustrating.  :bhead  But still fun.   :x

I have been on the defending side, as well.  Few things are more satisfying than launching with a bunch of team mates, and stopping a horde from taking a base.

So, the environment is fine.  The game play is what you make of it.  Instead of changing the environment, change your tactics.    :salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »

I dont agree with a fast map rotation. Some maps I prefer I often barely get to play on before they are reset.
On the other hand I do agree some maps are up entirely too long.

I would prefer a 24 hour minimum 3 day maximum on maps
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
I guess it would be much harder to "make players better at taking bases" since I routinely seem them in a conga line headed in a totally predictable straight line from vehicle spawn to enemy base or from one base to the target base.

Base taking in WBs was better.   Surely you don't disagree there.....   Seemed more dynamic....
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
Base taking in WBs was better.   Surely you don't disagree there.....   Seemed more dynamic....

Did you come over here to do mostly Warbirds reminiscing? I remember that phase with most of us in the AW community. Just let it go,man. You can have a lot of fun here. Hell, dare I say it? Maybe even more than you had there. What WB lost before it lost itself was the HTC team.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:38 AM »
Base taking in WBs was better.   Surely you don't disagree there.....   Seemed more dynamic....

Yet again.. Maybe you should go back to warbi.. Oh right, you can't.  :D

Also it takes one set of 35k Lancasters to WF a town and one Dora to deack. Pretty easy if you ask me.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:11 AM »
Also it takes one set of 35k Lancasters to WF a town (...). Pretty easy if you ask me.

I really would like you to show me how "easy" that is :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
I really would like you to show me how "easy" that is :)

You have to hold the calibrate key a little longer at that alt?  :lol
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'