Author Topic: It's just not worth it...  (Read 1296 times)

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
It's just not worth it...
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:32:37 AM »
After getting your aircraft up to some altitude, and tracking down the fight, it seems one barely has any fuel left for anything else.  I mean really, at the end of the day it feels like your just getting your plane up and down mostly.  Shouldn't the majority of the time be spent where it matters?  Granted, i fly the navy planes.  But how about reducing the fuel multiplier to 1.5 or thereabouts?  It really is a shame.  Not much incentive to climb if you ask me.
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: It's just not worth it...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:41:32 AM »
After getting your aircraft up to some altitude, and tracking down the fight, it seems one barely has any fuel left for anything else. 

I'm curious: what altitude are you talking about?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:23:09 AM »
After getting your aircraft up to some altitude, and tracking down the fight, it seems one barely has any fuel left for anything else.  I mean really, at the end of the day it feels like your just getting your plane up and down mostly.  Shouldn't the majority of the time be spent where it matters?  Granted, i fly the navy planes.  But how about reducing the fuel multiplier to 1.5 or thereabouts?  It really is a shame.  Not much incentive to climb if you ask me.

Dude, you say there isn't enough fuel in the navy planes???? Take a f4u1a with 75% and you still got 30 minutes... take a 109k4 and you get 24 minutes... There is no point in climbing to 20k, and if you do you will find yourself diving down to 13k at least to get a kill. This is one part that makes this game unique, gotta conserve and watch out for your ammo and gas,, that unlimited crap is for am amateurs... It is a part with being generally new to this game.. it is very difficult. That is why you gotta be aggressive and not be afraid to go to the DA to fight or to ask people to help with ACM because in this game it is important.

When I started this game for a year I thought 300 bullets in a ki84 was BS. Now I know how to get 4 or 5 kills with that amount. The K4 is the same way... It takes practice and determination to learn how to compensate. Hopefully you will stick around man.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:02 AM »
Grab a F4F and either go to 10K or deck and pwn everything
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:34:30 AM »
FM2 ftw.  :noid
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 03:41:40 AM »
If you are flying to find a fight and you took off with 100% I will bet the majority of your sorties end with at least half a tank. Now if you're flying up to 20k and pick and only engage at advantage, well then, back off the throttle? IDK, I don't do that, maybe someone else has advice there.

But, if you're flying in the zone where the majority of combat happens here, take 100% fuel and note how much you have right before you die. That's how I found out the sweet spot for the ac I like, and also how less turny birds were outturning me. Usually I note(d) that I have 15-20mins left, way too much to compete in most cases.

You'll figure it out.

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:48 AM »
Some airplanes like the LA7 will burn insane amount of fuel at full power. Heres some tips :

Use your E6B and set max fuel economy power settings.
Use drp tanks.
Fly a P47 :old: :neener: 75% + DT will keep you airborne longer than your blater can widthstand.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:01 AM »
Craz I fly low fuel load planes and still dont find any of that trouble. Besides 90% of everything is 10k or below in the game.

Navy planes, the Yank ones, are poor climbers in comparison to the Zero or Spit. But a Hellcat GIVES you a fast 10K on WEP alone.

Many times with extra tanks Ive taken a Spitfire or Hellcat and flew CAP over a CV for long periods by simply managing my power. Like they had to do in real life. Its a mistake we often make in gaming, having the throttle on full all the time. The best here can manage their throttles, and their energy, and make you look bad in any contest at any Alt.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »
OP has a point.  The burn multi in here is a bit insane.  Does it vary from map to map?   I seem to think not...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:19 AM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:29 AM »
Look for the big red dar bars before taking off, then you won't have to fly as far to find a fight.   :rock
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
OP has a point.  The burn multi in here is a bit insane.  Does it vary from map to map?   I seem to think not...

Generally only in events or the AvA.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
The fuel burn is just fine. It actually brings some measure of fuel managment into the game. Most of the Corsairs have 30 minutes or more of endurance at military power and that gets better as you get higher. 8 minutes will get you to 15k. And that doesn't even account for drop tanks. Once you get to your cruising altitude, you can double your endurance by pulling back the RPM on your prop (minus on the number pad) to around 2k. That will give you 40+ minutes of hunting time at altitude. These ranges are easily increased by external stores.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
He must only be trying short legger planes, like the Spit,
which is almost dry as soon as you take off :aok
(Of course I'm exaggerating, but Spits are definitely not long range)

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
Once you get to your cruising altitude, you can double your endurance by pulling back the RPM on your prop (minus on the number pad) to around 2k. That will give you 40+ minutes of hunting time at altitude.

This. Once I'm wheels up, I'm rarely at full power outside of combat unless I'm in a hurry. Open up your E6B for your power settings. Use 44" MAP and 2250 RPM for your climb to altitude, then pull back to 36" MAP @ 2150 RPM for cruise once you're at there for the F4Us and F6Fs (I think that applies to the P-47s as well, which also use the R-2800). The F4U-1 and F4U-1A have a LOT of loiter time on internal fuel, and you shouldn't need a DT at all. Burn the L/R wings to 25% and 50%, respectively, before switching to main and you've got a nice reserve that will get you about a sector if your main tank gets holed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.