Author Topic: Damage modeling  (Read 4506 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Damage modeling
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:48:03 AM by Skuzzy »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
See Rules #2, #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:47:42 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 01:20:40 PM »
See Rules #2, #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:47:30 AM by Skuzzy »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
 :rofl :rofl

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 01:33:59 PM »
See Rule #2
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:47:17 AM by Skuzzy »
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:32 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:47:01 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:46:50 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 06:30:04 PM »
See Rules #2, #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:46:32 AM by Skuzzy »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
See Rules #2, #4
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:46:14 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
Ok, I hate to do this, but I feel War Thunder has a better damage model in some areas. For instance, if our wings get holes in them, they aren't affected, but in WT, you can get massive holes and other damage that effect how you fly and the aero dynamics of the plane. I wish we could have this implemented in the game, not only on wigs, but every where. Just so it isn't all-or-nothing.
 :salute

+1 to more realistic wig damage modeling.  I HATE when my wig gets damaged and just flies off instead of parting in the middle.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
+1 to more realistic wig damage modeling.  I HATE when my wig gets damaged and just flies off instead of parting in the middle.
Ok, I probably should have checked that.
 :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
This is the "Wishlist" forum.  It is not the "Take cheap shots at others" forum.

Hmmmm.  Come to think of it, we do not have a forum for that.  Maybe that is due to us (HTC) not having any appreciation for derogatory, abusive behavior.

If you are looking to get suspended from the bulletin board, just drop me a PM please.  It would be lot easier for everyone.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:57:18 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Les Paul

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:36 AM »
Yes, yes, yes. Somebody said, "That is the only thing WT does better than Aces High." I beg to disagree. Sure, there's no lift losses on your wing and what not, but all your control surfaces can be blown to bits, and to be honest, the damage model in WT is really quite crappy when you actually take a moment to examine it.

What this guy didn't tell you is the damage to your wing actually adds a random loss to the lift vector. Completely random, I have done several tests where a single hit to a wing with a .303 resulted in greater lift lost than a single 20mm. I have seen the HUD display only light damage, yet your plane flops over like a donkey, and in the reverse I have seen your wing blacked out which according to the game is the heaviest sustainable damage your wing can obtain without it completely falling off, and yet my plane still flew completely straight. Not to mention, if you use mouse controls or even have them enabled while you use a joystick, it complete removes any effects of any lift or drag penalties introduced by damage.

Also, upon close examination there is really no lift loss at all it acts more or less like a massive shift in your trim, forcing your plane to roll in the direction of the damaged wing and has zero effect on acceleration of your plane, climb rate of your plane, turn rate of your plane, or even top speed of the plane, what actually ends up weakening these performance is you having to compensate with rudder or heavy aileron to fly in a reasonably straight line (And this is with mouse aim off) To test this I had a buddy of mine black-out my wing (Maximum damage to wing without it falling off) and use only rudder to compensate for the planes tendency to roll in the direction of the damaged wing. I recorded the climb rate I going through various altitudes, and also the maximum level speeds at varying altitude. I then upped a fresh, undamaged bird of the same variety, and held my rudder in the same position as I had for the damaged plane, and I found the results to be identical.

Fuselage damage in that game has absolutely no effect on the performance of any plane I have flown in that game regardless of mouse aim being enabled or not.

Regarding fuel leaking from the wings if they get shot up. Nope, sorry, they don't even have multiple fuel tanks modeled in that game, in the event that you do procure a fuel leak it will drain from all your tanks regardless of which one technically got hit. Subsequently, fuel only ads weight to a plane in that game, but does not shift its distribution at all.

Wing is either full off or on in that game, no wingtip shooting. But I guess the lift vector thing is a good substitute.

Also, I have seen several single engine planes (Mostly the Zero) be lit on fire, the fire burn out, only to watch them get lit back on fire, burn out, and get lit back on fire a third time while they mouse aim back to base.

The only thing they did right was the oil leaks and control surface damage. Your engine slowly loses power as oil pressure drops, and when you hit nill, it simply seizes up. And as far as control surface damage, sometimes instead of your ailerons falling off, or your rudder falling off, they will simply flap loosely in the air making your plane one hell of a squeak to fly, unless you have mouse aim enabled.

Once the razzle dazzle of that games sweet graphics wear off, you'll be dying to play AH again. This game may be a bazillion years old, but it still kicks the crap out of that highly funded brand new, POS Russian WWII "Simulator"

Oh did I mention all the maps are about the size of one sector in this game?

Oh and they don't even have compression modeled in that game, your wings simply break off at a certain speed, regardless of G's being pulled. Example, all 109s in that game wings break off at 750km/h IAS (~450MPH ), it doesn't matter if you are pulling any Gs when you hit that number, they just snap off. You can literally take a K4, get it to max level speed, but if you enter any kind of shallow dive that brings your IAS over 450, SNAP! Your dead!

The only thing, and I mean the only thing WT does better than AH, is GFX, that's it. Every other aspect is just so god awful in that game. This is why I am still paying 15/mo to play AH rather than play WT for free.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:31:34 AM by Les Paul »

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
They do tanks better, you can NOT kill a medium tank with 20mm's in there, and they do not have instant repairs on tanks.

WT was not my cup of tea flying it though.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline johnyjones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=06f_1236040827

Yes killing tiger tanks with .50 caliber was possible and done as much as possible in the late war period