Author Topic: I need some tips  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: I need some tips
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
I think it would be easier for me to buy a new processor and add a pci HD video card. Would that be a good idea? Can u guys explain what is a good performance processor. I'm really not familiar with video card watts and such. How do I know exactly what processor supports the best requirements for a HD video card and what pci slot I should stall it in.
By processor I believe you mean the entire mainframe, not the 1.5"x1.5" chip, right? Your idea has been succesfully tested by some of the AH community, but: Basic ready built computers are just what you pay for. That means they aren't designed to be beefed up by just adding one component. If you add a gaming level video card, you'd have to replace the original power supply, too. Some of the cheapest ready-built computers have been stripped to the minimum, they may even lack a pci-e slot for the video card. Again, if you don't know how to build one, find a professional who'll design and build it for you. Or buy one from a gamer oriented web shop. The bestbuy options you sent are mediocre and if you really like the Cybertrons, why wouldn't you look directly at their shop: http://www.cybertronpc.com/home~cat~gamers.htm. At least they let you modify your choice and give information about all of the components used, like that the Hellion II uses an InWin 450 watt power supply which isn't on the top 5 list of reliability.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
Those are just about worthless since they include on-board graphics.
Although they include onboard graphics, too, they are actually equipped with real video cards. Not very powerful, though.

@hgtonyvi: The compilation Dragon suggested is way above those $799 Cybertrons, especially with the free upgrade options.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
Although they include onboard graphics, too, they are actually equipped with real video cards. Not very powerful, though.

@hgtonyvi: The compilation Dragon suggested is way above those $799 Cybertrons, especially with the free upgrade options.

Kinda like an Etch-A-Sketch with motorized knobs.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Can u guys send me a complete list of parts that is best suited for my budget to build the machine. The only problem I have is installing the hard drives and booting up the new comp. also how will I be able to make a system recovery disk just incase the comp gets invested with a virus or something.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »
The compilation Dragon just sent is quite a good one. Or the Lifehacker one I referred to. Reading the threads from the last couple of months here, titled like "your opinion on this" or "my new build" should also give you many viable options.

Installing hard a hard drive is a no-brainer, just slide it in its slot and plug the cables. An empty PC will automatically boot from the DVD, starting the installation procedure. The same disk will work as a repair tool, you can also make a repair disk from within Windows. And there's a very powerful backup tool in Windows itself with which you can make full backups of your entire system at any time. With the install or repair disk and a full backup on e.g. a USB hard disk you can revert your system to the state it was when the backup was made. How fresh backup images you'll have is up to you.

Kotisivuni

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
I'm getting an idea slowly. How does the power switch works. Like for instance if I get a case how do I put a power button infront. All this stuff is making it hard for me, especially installing the DVD RW drives and such. I get the idea how to install a CPU, video card, fan for the CPU and DDR drives, I just need to learn more about the power supply, installing hard drives and such and the rest of the components for the machine.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 12:30:39 AM »
The power switch is part of the case.  When you plug in the various cords from the power supply (they each only fit where they're supposed to), one runs to the switch.

Quickie build instructions:

Drop the CPU into the slot on the motherboard and lock in place.
Install RAM into slots.
Add thermal paste to heatsink, place over CPU and lock in place.
Screw motherboard into case making sure standoffs are installed behind it.
Plug fan wires into motherboard.
Slide CD/DVD/Hard drives into slots and lock in place.
Connect drives to motherboard.
Install PSU.
Plug in CPU and main power connectors.
Plug in drive connectors.
Lock video card into slot and attach power connector.
Replace side panel.
Attach keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
Power up with OS CD in drive.
Follow prompts to install OS.
Connect to Internet.
Update OS.
Install antivirus.

3 hours tops.

Install applications.
Play games, surf the net and have fun with your new machine.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:34:46 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:07 AM »

Follow the link, do what he does and bam!!!  You have aq computer.  :rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »
The power switch is part of the case.  When you plug in the various cords from the power supply (they each only fit where they're supposed to), one runs to the switch.

Quickie build instructions:

Drop the CPU into the slot on the motherboard and lock in place.
Install RAM into slots.
Add thermal paste to heatsink, place over CPU and lock in place.
Screw motherboard into case making sure standoffs are installed behind it.
Plug fan wires into motherboard.
Slide CD/DVD/Hard drives into slots and lock in place.
Connect drives to motherboard.
Install PSU.
Plug in CPU and main power connectors.
Plug in drive connectors.
Lock video card into slot and attach power connector.
Replace side panel.
Attach keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.
Power up with OS CD in drive.
Follow prompts to install OS.
Connect to Internet.
Update OS.
Install antivirus.

3 hours tops.

Install applications.
Play games, surf the net and have fun with your new machine.

You forgot an essential step: Connect the case wires to the appropriate places in the motherboard. Most important being power switch cable, reset cable. Optionally you can connect USB, front audio panel etc. cables which also hang from the side of the case.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
Ty baldeagle I was kinda confused because when I saw the newegg video on YouTube the guy did something about formatting the hard drive or hard disk something of that. It was the one in part3 of the newegg video. Btw when u buy a CPU does it come with the cooling fan and the paste or do I have to get that seperately?

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 10:54:39 AM »
Ty baldeagle I was kinda confused because when I saw the newegg video on YouTube the guy did something about formatting the hard drive or hard disk something of that. It was the one in part3 of the newegg video. Btw when u buy a CPU does it come with the cooling fan and the paste or do I have to get that seperately?

If you buy a 'boxed' cpu it comes with a factory cooler but you will get a better performing setup by buying a 'tray' cpu and an aftermarket 30 dollar cpu cooler. The end result will be cooler and quieter.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
What's a box CPU or tray CPU?

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
What's a box CPU or tray CPU?

Didn't I just explain? LOL! Boxed CPU comes with a cooler tray CPU doesn't.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »
Oops now I understand, can u give me an outline of what I need to start building the comp?

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Oops now I understand, can u give me an outline of what I need to start building the comp?

Working eyesight, two hands with working fingers and some money.  :rolleyes:

Bizman pointed an article that has self buildable computers in 300,600 and 1200 dollar ranges. The 600 dollar example would run AH like a charm. http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200