Author Topic: I need some tips  (Read 1900 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: I need some tips
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
I'm still debating. The reason why I wana buy a comp is because everything is installed for me and it saves me the labor. On the other hand building a comp might be way cheap since the parts add up to a lesser price. And also buying comps with hard drives with 1TB and i5core processor with top end motherboards and such cost way more than what u would expect to pay. By saying that I still gave a lot of researching to do. Especially what u said fugitive its good for me to check top computers and how much each part cost and see the differences.

Do you download a lot of videos?

If not you dont NEED a 1TB system. I have a 600 gig for like 5 years now and I've yet come close to filling it up
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
Actually I don't download much. I'll just stick to a 500gig then. It will cause me a lot cheaper.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
Minimum parts needed to build a computer to game on:

Case
Motherboard
CPU + CPU cooler + thermal paste (all included in retail boxed CPU)
RAM
PSU
Video card
HD
DVD ROM
OS

Does not include keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers/headset, microphone etc.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:10 AM »
Another thing you can do is look at built systems and check out what they put in them. Many sites list the parts they use. Take the list to NewEgg and check the prices. The "Vanquish" computer I posted the link to was $700. When I priced out the parts from Newegg they were $675.

The plus side is you KNOW they work well together.

It's actually not necessarily a good idea at all to look at ready computer builds. They have profit margins to cut so they skimp on the most essential parts of the hardware usually such as having sub-par graphics card. If you repeat their build you get a cheaper result but just as sucky performance.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »
True, but if you look at gaming computers then you can be pretty such they are half decent. I know  the vanquish runs the game well as I've played on it.

Comparing gaming computers to gaming computers, it won't be long until you know the good from the weak.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2014, 05:17:10 AM »
There's pros and cons in both building and getting a ready built. Building one is very educating but if you do something wrong it can turn expensive. Also if a component turns out to be DOA, getting a replacement will slow down the process a lot. A ready built comes with a warranty for the entire package.

Some builder shops will test the computer they've build for a small additional charge. Some may have a bunch of variations from "basic" to "pro". The levels in between include motherboard bios update and testing, installing components into the case with or without testing, neat cable management, OS installation etc.

Shifting the risk of failure on someone else might be worth some extra.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:28 AM »

Shifting the risk of failure on someone else might be worth some extra.

But then you miss all the fun!

And after you build your first box you can always upgrade it whenever you need it without paying anyone. If you always buy ready your upgrade options are also much more limited which can cost you a lot in the long term.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone