Author Topic: I need some tips  (Read 1919 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
I need some tips
« on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
Hello Aces high community I need the best help I can get with purchasing a new desktop computer. I already have a monitor so I just need the processor. I have a link here with a option I think might be good for aces high, not just aces high but for regular use for example: browsing the web, typing documents, downloading stuff, just more like the regular things people do on a computer. Also a great processor to run aces high to the max resolutions and to provide the best resolutions for the upcoming download. Here is my option but I'm still looking for help from u computer geeks. http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/8572730
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline LivrLips

• Zinc Member
Re: I need some tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
Im no PC guru but looking at the specs, that PC has integrated graphics, not a seperate video card. It is doubtful you will get AH to run with full eye candy settings.

In the budget gaming price point ($500 to $700) most off the shelf PC's generally have have low end graphics cards or the dreaded integrated graphics set up.

I am a computer novice, but I have been doing a lot of research into pre-built and do it yourself PC's the last couple of months. I'm sure our more knowledgeable forum dwellers would say the same.

LivrLips tour 88 to 176
HolyMoly tour 179 to 180
Currently flying as 99Loco

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
 I did a quick check on the link,a couple of things came up that made me think you could get a better system for not a whole lot more!

The vidcard says it's an HD8350 amd with 1 gig of Vram,this is a low end card at best,if it's even a sepperate vidcard. Also the PSU is only 300 watts...WTF 300watts!

At $530 price point you wont be able to build a killer machine but for not much more you can put together a much better machine than the one you posted.

I'm sure if you check back in a couple of days someone will surprize you with a great machine in the 700 dollar range!

YMMV.

:salute

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:54 PM »
I hope u computer gurus post some good machines. I'm not so good at computer specs and such. Please give me a proper machine. Skuzzy might know about one. Any help skuzzy?

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:54:29 PM »
When you buy a PC at a store, always count on buying a video card, bigger power supply and more RAM.  As someone who has always owned these types of PCs, I know this to be truth!  Places like tigerdirect are probably the place to go if you don't want to build one.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »
I hope u computer gurus post some good machines. I'm not so good at computer specs and such. Please give me a proper machine. Skuzzy might know about one. Any help skuzzy?

how much are you willing to spend.  that's the first question.  if you are limited in funds then consider waiting a bit longer.  when I started 7 years ago 700 bucks got you a first grade computer, now it's more like bottom line to start and then upgrade.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:32:16 PM »
how much are you willing to spend.  that's the first question.  if you are limited in funds then consider waiting a bit longer.  when I started 7 years ago 700 bucks got you a first grade computer, now it's more like bottom line to start and then upgrade.

semp

I have to disagree with that.  Top end pricing really hasn't changed much.  E6800, MB with them new SATA ports, and a 9600 card was about 700 and not top of the line.  700 now gets a machine 10X what it did 7 years ago.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
I have to disagree with that.  Top end pricing really hasn't changed much.  E6800, MB with them new SATA ports, and a 9600 card was about 700 and not top of the line.  700 now gets a machine 10X what it did 7 years ago.

I had an e8400 with an evga 9800gtx+ spent a little less than 700.  played the game with everything on for a couple of years. that wasnt top of the line but it was close to it back then.

semp

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
I had an e8400 with an evga 9800gtx+ spent a little less than 700.  played the game with everything on for a couple of years. that wasnt top of the line but it was close to it back then.

semp

I still run that for AH, except with a GTX260.   :cool:

Mamma's comp is an E6750 with 9800GTX+, it struggles a bit in game but it served me well many years ago.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »
Even the $700 one plays the game great.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/vanquish-ii.asp

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
Can some of u give me some brand of processors. I'm not trying to spend over $700 because I already have a monitor. But my range is between $500-800 max. I know some of u can tell me a great machine, I'm trying to get the maximum performance for my budget. Post links and types of brands u computer gurus recommend.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »
Can some of u give me some brand of processors. I'm not trying to spend over $700 because I already have a monitor. But my range is between $500-800 max. I know some of u can tell me a great machine, I'm trying to get the maximum performance for my budget. Post links and types of brands u computer gurus recommend.

Get a cheap computer case (40 bucks), i3 Intel CPU bundled with ram and motherboard (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8524748&Sku=M69-7253) 199 bucks, 550-600 watt power supply (XFX black or Seasonic brand) 80ish bucks, mouse+keyboard combo costs you 15 bucks, dvd-drive 30 bucks, hdd 80 bucks, Nvidia GTX750Ti for 170 bucks...

For 614 bucks you have a computer that will run AH and most modern games at 720p nicely. All that you have to do is order the parts and plug everything together (or ask a friend to do it). It takes about an hour to build your first computer from scratch. Assuming you have the operating system covered, otherwise expect to pay 120 bucks more.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
I never built a computer before. It would be easier to buy one already built lol.

6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »

Hey buddy, I happen to be a Cave Man, seriously.  I am a redneck hunting camping cave man............But I just built my first computer by myself, or more accuratly I assembled the pieces.  It is really seriously so simple a cave man can do it and you get a lot more bang for your buck.  Check out YouTube, do a little bit of research and get others advice like your doing now and you can do it.  You will also be a lot more satisfied in my opinin if you do it yourself.  I for one will never buy another store built computer.

Nim

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
I never built a computer before. It would be easier to buy one already built lol.

building your own is really easy.  and you get better components that you can later upgrade.  most brand name computers like dell, gateway... cant be upgraded unless you buy their components.

semp