Author Topic: Yak-9U vs Yak-3  (Read 7315 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Yak-9U vs Yak-3
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
Am I cornfused? I thought by the discussion on the BBS that the Yak 3 is "better" than than the -9.

Which aircraft is more feared by it's historical competition? meaning Fw190 A and D and Bf 109G and K.

Yak 9 seems faster, Yak 3 has better climb... Any help? Opinions?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Yak-9U vs Yak-3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
I'm no expert though what I've read is the Germans were OK with the 9s speed, it was the turning ability mixed with solid speed that caused concern with the 3. One posted noted German high command told pilots to avoid the 3.

Just what I've read...
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:57:32 AM »
You will need to create a list of differences to how all of the aircraft in question were flown in ww2 versus how we fly them here in Aces High.

I will start it.

Yak3

-------------Real World ----------- Aces High
Deaths--------- 1 ----------------- Unlimited
Physics---- unforgiving ------------- Fixed, predictable

With unlimited deaths and a predictable physical environment to wax on and wax off over and over and over. You will eventually learn to dance your heart out all night long in ACMy bliss. The most unpredictable aspect of the game is the Internet. I believe more ww2 pilots were killed visa accidents of all kinds versus killed by enemy activity.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:31:20 AM »
Yes Yak 3 is better and later Yak variant.

The major difference between Yak-3 and Yak-9 is its weight and size, having the same engine Yak-3 is lighter and smaller - it is one of the smallest WW2 fighters.

Looking at pure AH statistics
-----------------

Yak-3 - 1.08
Yak-9U - 0.88

To be honest... I like all the Yaks in the game when they fight against the planes of same period.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:13 AM »
Our Yak 9U has a VK-107 1,500 hp, while our Yak 3 has a VK-105 1,300 hp.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
Physics in the real world unpredictable? Great!, maybe there is hope for FTL travel after all  :devil

You will need to create a list of differences to how all of the aircraft in question were flown in ww2 versus how we fly them here in Aces High.

I will start it.

Yak3

-------------Real World ----------- Aces High
Deaths--------- 1 ----------------- Unlimited
Physics---- unforgiving ------------- Fixed, predictable

With unlimited deaths and a predictable physical environment to wax on and wax off over and over and over. You will eventually learn to dance your heart out all night long in ACMy bliss. The most unpredictable aspect of the game is the Internet. I believe more ww2 pilots were killed visa accidents of all kinds versus killed by enemy activity.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Yes Yak 3 is better and later Yak variant.

Actually Yak-9U became operational later than Yak-3...
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
Am I cornfused? I thought by the discussion on the BBS that the Yak 3 is "better" than than the -9.

Which aircraft is more feared by it's historical competition? meaning Fw190 A and D and Bf 109G and K.

Yak 9 seems faster, Yak 3 has better climb... Any help? Opinions?
"Better" depends on what. In a knife fight, the -3 is better, period. The main advantage of the -9U is speed and performance at altitude. The difference is not big enough to compensate for the better handling and insane helicopter properties of the -3, so it is considered overall "better" by most players.

I think that in real life the -9U also had some armor, while the -3 had practically none. In the game however, I find the Yak-3 to be one of the most difficult fighters to bring down in terms of the number of hits required. Probably the result of its small size and the way AH damage model assigns the damage to different components.

Physics in the real world unpredictable? Great!, maybe there is hope for FTL travel after all  :devil
He said "unforgiving" not "unpredictable".

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
Actually Yak-9U became operational later than Yak-3...
Huh?  Citation pls
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
Yak3's E retention is out of this world.  :old:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
I keep thinking the yaks and Las  would be much more prone to pilot wounds since the lack of armor. Or maybe I just keep wishing.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
I keep thinking the yaks and Las  would be much more prone to pilot wounds since the lack of armor. Or maybe I just keep wishing.

The Yaks are.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
They are very much like the debate regarding the 109F-4 vs 109G-2.  Ultimately, one has more speed and the other has more maneuverability.

All things considered, I prefer the -9U, it has more range and is faster.  Range being the bigger factor. They handle very similar with a slight edge going to the -3 in the in close knife fights. 

Which Yak model is "better" for a said task should be the discussion, not "which plane is best". 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
AH Yak3 soak up more damage than any other single engine plane in the game, the old yak-9 used to be the damage champ before yak-3 entered the late war arena.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
AH Yak3 soak up more damage than any other single engine plane in the game, the old yak-9 used to be the damage champ before yak-3 entered the late war arena.

This has been my observation as well, but it needs to be tested by some means before complaints about it will be taken seriously.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."