Author Topic: Lancasters perk them?  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Lancasters perk them?
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
Modeling whatever dive angle limitation there was IRL seems to me to be the simplest. 

At a maximum bomb release angle of 30° for the Lancaster, nothing much would change in the way they are used and definitely nothing in the complaints about "Lancstukas" ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
At a maximum bomb release angle of 30° for the Lancaster, nothing much would change in the way they are used and definitely nothing in the complaints about "Lancstukas" ;)

And that is most likely a limit only for one of the large or forward bombs. Like the B-17 that has bomb limits from < 3° up to 55° depending on bomb size and location, as per that manual posted the other day.
I am sure a bomb in the rear of the lancasters very long bomb bay would be able to drop out with a steeper dive then one located at the front.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »
Well this thread has gotten a little off kilter.  Anyone want a  :banana:
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »

...Well, at least they'd be able to say it was within the parameters it could be used IRL. ;)  The fact it wasn't, well, that's a whole other debate.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
Modeling whatever dive angle limitation there was IRL seems to me to be the simplest.  If the plane could divebomb, it should divebomb.  If it couldn't, it shouldn't.

It might be more difficult to code than it appears on first blush though.

Wiley.

As others have mentioned the evidence of Lancasters doing a 45° angle dive from 4000ft doesn't seem to be all that common, it is the drifting over the gv spawn points with 1000lb bombs at 1000ft that I believe most people are crusading against.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.