Author Topic: Knights can't win!  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Wildcatdad

• Copper Member
Re: Knights can't win!
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
THANK GOD!
 :salute
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
I knew Knights were pushing for A12 after being stopped at 18 and 6 repeatedly, because Knights were low key preparing A12. When I shot down members of FB over the town, I knew it's not just a random attack, especially when only 1 base was missing from war victory.

That being said, it only was naturally that the most probable strike was from A7 to A12 area. Being annoyed enough by my repeated warnings, several Rooks were patrolling A12 south and southwest (between A12 and A7). One of them was Afflux who did finally spot the noe raid. Had you chosen a different route, someone else would most probably have spotted you (I was myself covering a more northen approach and had to race back towards 12 when the raid was spotted).

Actually I was thinking a5. It would like support for the a6 attack.

BTW I think we won. I logged at 2 a.m. or there abouts. Was a fun fun night. Not to diminish anyone else but FBs took full advantage of Rooks attack on Bish city. They white flagged at least 2 bases simultaneously. Bish did a terrific job of defending their bases for the record and so did Rooks. I think Banana sneaked 46 during the melee at 45. I was headed there in a goon after upping for 25. As it turns out good thing he was there. I grabbed GV supplies.......Doh!. However if you think that is funny I dropped them over 45 town and Bish were shooting them down instead of kill the m3s that actually had troops. Then they followed me away from town. I didn't survive. We did get the base.

FBBob took a goon to 48 while I was landing my lancs. A bunch of Bish upped I said no way. However Chanter and I think FBsundvl was there. They dragged the cons away from town and we got the base. Amazing! Knights just don't do those things.

Bish put a good run on 47 later. However after the initial attack they hid in the cv ack. Seemed wasteful.

As far as numbers go that is just the way it is some days. Wait until you are outnumbered by both sides and they both horde you. Happens quite a bit to knights. However it's not boring LOL.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 05:27:34 PM »
Guys... shut up play the game.

LOL!!! from one of the games most notorious "squeaker" in recent years!  LOL!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
Actually I was thinking a5. It would like support for the a6 attack.

This was another reasonable option for sure, but had some disadvantages: You would have had to cross two lanes of Rook fighters constantly traveling to V6, or (by going east around A5V6 island) having to travel a much longer distance than the one to A12 (and we all know that basegrab difficulty rises significantly with distance). You also had Bish flying over A5 mixing it up there as well.

BTW I think we won.

Oh, you did, and in a probably very satisfying way: After the last huge Knight assault on A18 failed and your CV North of that base were sunk, the skies cleared over the base, with only a tiny red (Knight) darbar and a growing huge green (Rook) darbar. We rooks congratulated each other for the fine defense, how we did break the Knight's fighting spirit, and that it's now the time to bring the fight to them.

SYSTEM: A18 has been captured by Knights.
SYSTEM: The war has been won.

:rofl
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
Ok, my apologies then and maybe he can show me I'm wrong.  :salute

I'm over it, and I over-reacted. Sorry for the attitude. :aok

You were not picked. Your mistake was not to keep an eye on my A-20... I never was out of the fight, I pursued you and then followed you through the vertical and fired when you were at the top of your climb. I took out your oil, and rolled out 100 yards behind. Next burst blew you up. You may have gone after other aircraft, but I was after you. Lots of players have made that same mistake. Don't ignore the A-20. It is very dangerous, and there are some guys who fly it like a fighter and know how to fly it to its limits.

The point is, many players are not prepared for an aggressive A-20. They also fail to understand that it will out-turn many of the fighters (its turn radius is comparable to a 109K-4). Dive acceleration is very fast (dangerous too, as anything over 425 mph IAS will break the A-20). Zoom climb is second to none. Six guns packed into the nose is very lethal, and the A-20, while it is a big target, is also far more rugged than most (if not all) fighters.

Two things to remember. Never assume that any aircraft is not a threat. I've been shot down by aircraft I believed to out of the fight, or not really dangerous. Everything is dangerous. Second, no fighter can zoom higher than a Co-e A-20. In most cases, the A-20 will close the gap, because it conserves energy very well due to its mass/momentum. You may not have anticipated or realized that I was coming right up behind you, but there I was....

These days, with less time available to play, I spend more than half of my time flying in base defense. I don't have to fly sectors to get to a fight. I barely get the wheels up sometimes, and have to defend myself. That means that I often fly an aircraft well suited to base defense, both air and ground. The A-20, Niki and F6F are excellent for both.

Check my stats going back a few tours. Start with Tour 163, then go back to the 140s and 130s. I often take a month off or two, so there will be gaps. You'll see that I fly the A-20 a lot, and maintain a good K/D in it. However, that's not all I fly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:11:15 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
Widewing, in light of all the angst you have put up with this week, I hope you don't mind if I start carrying eggs on my P38. I'll call it the 'Widewing Principle' and post the complaints on the forums for you.   :aok

:rofl
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »
Interesting, not a single word about two contrives instead of three.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Interesting, not a single word about two contrives instead of three.

Maybe because we have been through this discussion hundreds of times since AH started?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
I said nothing to him, and he felt the need to tell me he is better because he picked me while I was fighting someone else.

Anyone that feels the need to resort to shooting down a 2nd account shouldn't be talking about anyone else's skill, when they themselves lack said skill.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359836.msg4774746.html#msg4774746

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
I have to agree with the title of this thread. Knight's can't win. it's one of the laws of Aces High. knights never win, but we do have the most fun!  :D :cheers:

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »
Anyone that feels the need to resort to shooting down a 2nd account shouldn't be talking about anyone else's skill, when they themselves lack said skill.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359836.msg4774746.html#msg4774746

ack-ack

Strangely, Flyer467 hasn't been seen lately. :)
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »

But there was a hording issue on a totally different level. The old victory rules required getting one country down to 5(?) bases and the country having captured the most of that bases was declared winner.
While that created some fun situations for the few of us who liked defending against superior odds, it overall kinda sucked for the majority of players, because it meant that for the longest time the two bigger teams were just dogpiling on the smaller one, with no real interest to fight each other.

And yes, it's very much different these days where they do have really to fight each other at some point, and thus it's not longer one country suffering from being attacked almost exclusively by two countries all the time. In the last months before the system was changed to what we have today, it was Rooks and Bish dogpiling on Knights and just racing each other to reset from the moment the map came up. Though I personally loved flying on Knights for that very reason, that's not a particular great gameplay for the arena and the majority of players either.

And we can't just simply push the percentage of territory required up to 80 or even 90 %, because that would mean the war would be almost impossible to win. That thought might please some of the "old furballers" amongst us, but would remove a big motivation for many players to engage in battles as well.

Im not even talking about the victory conditions. Just as a matter of overall gameplay the old zone system was by far superior to what we have now. It gave reasons to attack and defend bases. People would rush to defend a zone base because it was seen as important. Likewise they were desirable bases to attack and put sustained effort into attacking even if said bases became defended.

I remember seeing and taking part in fights over a single base that lasted several days as it would fall to one side and then the other.

the only downside I remember seeing with the old system was in the placement of the strat targets where if you owned one of the secondary bases. You could effectively just milkrun strats as most of the time they were only a few minutes away from the secondary bases.
Now if you tied them more closely to the Zone bases That might have alleviated that problem as players are/were more likely to defend a base that holds meaning then a base that doesnt or is only secondary.

Currently no bases hold any real meaning. Attacking one base is as good as attacking another. So  the current MO is the horde attacks one base and if it meets resistance it simply gives up and attacks one that where it might not. One base is as good as the next

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
I'm not even talking about the victory conditions.

I know, and that's' I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to a specific part of Widewing's post, which I quoted :)

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
Go to MW...nits roll.....errrrrr....milk..... .....errrr win about 3 maps a day there :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Two things to remember. Never assume that any aircraft is not a threat. I've been shot down by aircraft I believed to out of the fight, or not really dangerous. Everything is dangerous. Second, no fighter can zoom higher than a Co-e A-20. In most cases, the A-20 will close the gap, because it conserves energy very well due to its mass/momentum. You may not have anticipated or realized that I was coming right up behind you, but there I was....

I'll keep this in mind, sorry for assuming earlier, I stand corrected.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech