Author Topic: Side switch times  (Read 9485 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Side switch times
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »
If there are fifty of us, for example, that want it switched, that is not a small and negligible percentage of the player base.  It is also a microcosm of the overall sentiment.  It would be foolish to think just because someone is not on the bbs, they must not agree with us.  If 80-90% of us here think it should be changed, chances are, a large percentage of non bbs players feel the same.

That's an interesting question.  I think your 50 number is pretty optimistic though.  The set of people who come to the forums is pretty self selecting, as we usually have some kind of axe to grind.  Tough to get a sense of the silent majority's opinions without asking.  Based on the fact that we rarely if ever see a large swing in arena numbers when one side gets an overwhelming advantage though, I would consider it very likely the majority don't and would not switch for numbers.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
BTW Grizz...you do realize you are now the one bringing up reasons why changing switch times might be a bad idea... even tho' you are for it?

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl

I think you are misinterpreting things if you believe that.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
True, but I still think the group is a much smaller percentage of the player base than the side loyal.   But if you are correct it may well explain why HTC seems so reluctant to put the change in place.

I don't think players for the most part are "side loyal". I think they are "squad or friend loyal". I also think most in the community could care less about switch times.

I would wager of all the folks who do care about switch times, that most are if favor of reducing them and the loud minority of this group favor keeping it at 12 hours or more.

A simple poll would bring forth most of those who care about this issue. Those who don't care would still not care or they would give some thought to it and make a decision. For those who still don't care, who cares? they obviously could go either way! Thus their input is irrelevant.

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:23 PM »
I think you are misinterpreting things if you believe that.

Misinterpreting him?  No.  I'm aware he's all for it.  I'm just pointing out the irony that I was challenged for doing the same thing.  The difference being, of course, that I was not as vocal about my own support for the idea prior to bringing up the counterarguments.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
I don't think switching it to one hour will do so either as I think the imbalance has more to do with other factors  e.g. a sizeable percentage of the AH player base are "chess piece loyal".

That said, changing the time would make it easier for the population of players who don't care about such things to find a fight, especially on the larger maps.

It would make it easier on my squadron.  We prefer to go to the low side especially off peak.   

It would probably be easier to find a fight if we didn't have one base for each froggin' player!   Some of these maps are ridiculously large...
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
these numbers sadden me

Welcome to Warbirds 2009....
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Absolutely.  The true downside to it is the chesspiece underoo brigade.  They get completely bent out of shape if someone that was just on their side is suddenly on the other side, because 'How can I trust a guy that just hops sides?!'

If their mission runs into any kind of resistance, the only possible explanation is spiez, and if they see someone who was on their side a moment ago and is suddenly against them, they obviously must have ratted out the mission.  They don't want gameplay, they want to toolshed.

The sad thing is, I bet there would be a market for a co-op arena, with a bunch of AI enemy planes that fly over the enemy base and put up a token defense but aren't difficult to shoot down and have no real chance of shooting the players down.  Most mission runners would probably eat that up, as the general consensus among them seems to be if the mission meets resistance, it's doomed to failure.

Wiley.

That's one of the problems with the culture in this game.  In Warbirds people would switch to balance with no heartburn.   "Switching to yellow for numbers.  See you guys in a bit."
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #187 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
I don't think players for the most part are "side loyal". I think they are "squad or friend loyal". I also think most in the community could care less about switch times.

I would wager of all the folks who do care about switch times, that most are if favor of reducing them and the loud minority of this group favor keeping it at 12 hours or more.

A simple poll would bring forth most of those who care about this issue. Those who don't care would still not care or they would give some thought to it and make a decision. For those who still don't care, who cares? they obviously could go either way! Thus their input is irrelevant.

JUGgler

Really?  I think you should ask around outside of the AoM / Blue Knights circle.  You might be surprised by what you hear. 

I'm assuming members of your clique care to hear and consider dissenting opinions rather than dismissing them out of hand.  The established historical precedents are not of joining together, holding hands and singing kumbaya for either side of the issue.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: April 17, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
I am friend loyal, but, again, the culture here applies needless pressure in regard to side switch (i.e. switching sides makes you a dbag to those you usually fly with).  Other games didn't have this problem.  There is no reason this one should.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:17:25 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Really?  I think you should ask around outside of the AoM / Blue Knights circle.  You might be surprised by what you hear. 

I'm assuming members of your clique care to hear and consider dissenting opinions rather than dismissing them out of hand.  The established historical precedents are not of joining together, holding hands and singing kumbaya for either side of the issue.

Most of us have been here much longer than you and know more people in the game than you. We also fly on all sides and hear everything they have to say about it.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: April 17, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
very true bear  cough* cough*  but attitude goes a long way too.
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
Just go to a 2 side MA. Problem solved

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
Most of us have been here much longer than you and know more people in the game than you. We also fly on all sides and hear everything they have to say about it.

I'm not contesting any of these points, even if almost 10 years playing this game hardly amount to my being a "new guy".  As for "hear[ing] everything"....I've no doubt this is the case.   I questioned the willingness to understand and accept other viewpoints.  Take your reply to me for example: a casual dismissal followed by a snub meant to demean my points as coming from someone "new" or "not as well connected".  Dishonest and lazy debate tactics, Bear, but at least you didn't resort to the usual name calling.

very true bear  cough* cough*  but attitude goes a long way too.

I'm not certain how this is applicable.  Are you implying I have a poor attitude? How so?  Please point to one post in this thread where I have been inconsiderate of other opinions or not acknowledged / conseeded when someone makes a point worthy of consideration. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:44:57 PM by Hoplite »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2014, 05:42:31 PM »

When numbers erode further, and it appears they will, the 12-hour rule would become a problem again....

WBs was two-sided.   We had balance issues that became more problematic over time as the numbers declined....   But we at least could balance it out more easily than in here.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:32:49 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »

Nope, makes it even worse.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song