Author Topic: What "We" Really Want  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
What "We" Really Want
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
When I say "we" I don't mean the propeller heads, or the steel jockeys, I mean gamers. When HTC publishes the work they have in the previews, as in recent days, we get to see the direction they are moving. That's really great and I am excited to see a move in that direction. Still, what "we" really want is just coming into being now (meaning it is now possible), but the problem is not every user has a system capable of the state-of-the-art physics simulations. So, my wish is for a user-selectable option to allow for the CUDA physics simulations as shown by Jen-Hsun Huang at the most recent Technology Conference. I know not everyone can afford a $3k card, but I know one day this will be mainstream. Smoke, fire, water, lighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISqvBVyASo
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
Re: What "We" Really Want
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
well said.  :aok
Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
When I say "we" I don't mean the propeller heads, or the steel jockeys, I mean gamers. When HTC publishes the work they have in the previews, as in recent days, we get to see the direction they are moving. That's really great and I am excited to see a move in that direction. Still, what "we" really want is just coming into being now (meaning it is now possible), but the problem is not every user has a system capable of the state-of-the-art physics simulations. So, my wish is for a user-selectable option to allow for the CUDA physics simulations as shown by Jen-Hsun Huang at the most recent Technology Conference. I know not everyone can afford a $3k card, but I know one day this will be mainstream. Smoke, fire, water, lighting:

But ... what of HTC's cost to develop (or purchase) and implement (which would also have to be passed on to the consumer)? There's also the reality that we are a niche consumer market. I'm all for flexible options .... that can practically be implemented.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
As far as I know HTC would have nothing to purchase. On the upside smoke and flame would look more realistic, the hard work put into water would generate very realistic splashes, foam, and spray, and smoke and clouds could be affected by the passage of planes. Then also the contrails and fuel trails, oil and radiator fluids would also act much more realistically.

The only downside is that some of us would see the effects, and some would not. Eventually, this will be a standard effect in games. Somewhere between 2015 and 2016 this effect (real-time effect rendering) will be supported by mainstream cards and not just the Titan Z.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
since not many people can afford a 3k video card.  when your wish becomes mainstream (if it ever does) I am pretty sure ah will support it but for now why ask for something that maybe 2 or 3 players will use?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
I'm not going to dignify that, except to say that sort of thinking needs to stop.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
I'm not going to dignify that, except to say that sort of thinking needs to stop.

well i am gonna dignify to just make an observation that the video was done with a max of 1080p.  and we have many gamers that can use a  higher resolution than 1080p.

does it make a difference between 1080p and something higher? perhaps it does, perhaps it doesnt.  but since they are promoting something that can easily give you a higher resolution than 1080p then why make it that a limit on a video that is meant to sell something than can give you more?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
I really didn't see anything uberly impressive in that entire video. Certainly not anything worth $3K.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
well i am gonna dignify to just make an observation that the video was done with a max of 1080p.  and we have many gamers that can use a  higher resolution than 1080p.

does it make a difference between 1080p and something higher? perhaps it does, perhaps it doesnt.  but since they are promoting something that can easily give you a higher resolution than 1080p then why make it that a limit on a video that is meant to sell something than can give you more?

semp

Man, are you out of touch! I think Hitech will see the relevance, which is all that matters.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »

Maybe you should develop your own WWII flight sim and incorporate this?  :noid Maybe take donations and set up a kickstarter? I don't know about everybody else but I would trust you to invest my money wisely..  ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:50:31 PM by ReVo »
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:36:05 PM »
Maybe you should develop your own WWII flight sim and incorporate this?  :noid Maybe take donations and set up a kickstarter? I don't know about everybody else but I would trust you to invest my money wisely..  ;)

:rofl
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »
I'm sure nVidia would not charge anything for a state-of-the-art physics engine that undoubtedly took years to develop
I'm sure incorporating an external physics engine into Aces High II's (what, 10 year old?) engine would not require years of effort if not a ground-up redesign
I'm sure you could switch between physics engines with a check-box without any ill affects
I'm sure a $3k card capable of handling one stream of smoke against one object would do brilliantly with hundreds of streams of smoke interacting with dozens of objects over distances of miles in real time

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
The problem is you are not thinking ahead. First off, Nvidia does not charge companies to implement CUDA.

https://developer.nvidia.com/

It's obvious you didn't spend anytime thinking about that. I mean, who would buy a card that no one supports?

Second, only HTC can tell you how many man hours adding this into their code would take. I would bet it's not as hard as you think it is.

Third, a check box certainly works in other games. Have you ever chosen between DirectX and OpenGL? Just add CUDA.

Fourth, the $3k card is just the first to be discussed. Every generation of card that comes down the line will add power and capability. Adding the capability to expand to greater possibilities at this point (when HTC is updating a great deal of the code) only makes sense. Otherwise, it would add even more delay and development time later. Any argument to the contrary only holds AH back.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »
Ridiculous diatribe removed. . .

The whole reason AH is seeing an exodus is because of people like you. You are boring and intellectual dishonest. You seldom (I would guess never) have anything positive to add to any discussion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:01:10 PM by Chalenge »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 01:51:42 PM »

Happy Easter.