Author Topic: Historicity and Efficacy of P-51D With Four Guns  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Historicity and Efficacy of P-51D With Four Guns
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
1) Is a P-51D with four guns historically accurate?

2) Is it worth it?

Perhaps weight is a factor.  For me the ability to fire for a longer period of time is attractive.   Missing with six is the same as missing with four so.....
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Historicity and Efficacy of P-51D With Four Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
1) Is a P-51D with four guns historically accurate?

2) Is it worth it?

Perhaps weight is a factor.  For me the ability to fire for a longer period of time is attractive.   Missing with six is the same as missing with four so.....

In game, for the P51 the step down in firepower is not worth it. OTOH 4 .50s seems just fine in the Fm2, because it can do tracking shots better with it's turn and over-the-nose view. But yeah, 6 is the way to go, being able to kill with a brief window is so important in the pony. Try turning your tracers off, it's done wonders for me in the P-51.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:04:29 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
In game, for the P51 the step down in firepower is not worth it. OTOH 4 .50s seems just fine in the Fm2, because it can do tracking shots better with it's turn and over-the-nose view. But yeah, 6 is the way to go, being able to kill with a brief window is so important in the pony. Try turning your tracers off, it's done wonders for me in the P-51.

Ah, I see.

Well...tracers are off.   But....

Or...and.....

I get snap shots where I see flashes from nose to tail on the bad guy and he still survives.    Otoh, I, for whatever reason (mostly my leader roping or me stalking a fixated bandit), usually find myself at D200-400 banging away for several seconds and not hitting a thing.

:headscratch:

Figured if I can't hit any way I may as well save the weight....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:15:28 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »
If you really do want to take the Pony with four guns, switch to the P-51B and enjoy quadruple perks  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »
If you really do want to take the Pony with four guns, switch to the P-51B and enjoy quadruple perks  :old:

And reduced performance.  I need the edge so I can run from a B.  :bolt:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »
Less guns only worth it if you would like to turn.
Ponies usually dont want to turn, not even with 190s.
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
And reduced performance.  I need the edge so I can run from a B.  :bolt:

The B actually takes the performance lead when you get very far over 10K. I'd say the majority of action is found below 10K, a significant amount is to be found 10 to 20K especially during weekends/peak hours, with chances of finding bandits diminishing exponentially as you climb above 20K. So choose the plane for the mission perhaps?

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
No way would I ever take a 51D with 4 guns. Any minuscule gain in performance is more than overwhelmed by the major drop in killing power. A Bravo can be a great change of pace and doesn't have that noticeable of a drop in performance.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 04:51:56 PM »
The B actually takes the performance lead when you get very far over 10K. I'd say the majority of action is found below 10K, a significant amount is to be found 10 to 20K especially during weekends/peak hours, with chances of finding bandits diminishing exponentially as you climb above 20K. So choose the plane for the mission perhaps?

15K and below.  Mostly LAs, Dora's, and Jug Ms worry me for being run down if I get slow.....and other Runstangs.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
No way would I ever take a 51D with 4 guns. Any minuscule gain in performance is more than overwhelmed by the major drop in killing power. A Bravo can be a great change of pace and doesn't have that noticeable of a drop in performance.

I need to work on my gunnery big time then.  I wind up with only two guns quite often...having shot over, under, and around everyone.....
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:01:14 PM »
What is your convergence set to?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
That's convenient, gunnery is also a thing I need to work on. We'll hit the TA and take turns being the target drone.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »

I need to work on my gunnery big time then.  I wind up with only two guns quite often...having shot over, under, and around everyone.....

Learn to set your converg to 350 or less, I use 325 in 99% of the planes, the only real exception is the 109K.
Get well under 400, take a shot and learn to conserve ammo, if you spray 'n pray - you generally won't hit anything but your ammo counter.

80% of my shots are under 200, 20% were at 400, sometimes just tapping someone at 400 will get them to turn, closing the gap for an easy wing shot.
JG 52

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
Ah, I see.

Well...tracers are off.   But....

Or...and.....

I get snap shots where I see flashes from nose to tail on the bad guy and he still survives
.    Otoh, I, for whatever reason (mostly my leader roping or me stalking a fixated bandit), usually find myself at D200-400 banging away for several seconds and not hitting a thing.

:headscratch:

Figured if I can't hit any way I may as well save the weight....

a spread of rounds from nose to tail is different to a concentrated burst...as in... you peppered the plane and put a lot of holes in it but in differing areas of the plane... if the same amount of rounds hit in a cumulative area it would be a different story ... You can have the same outcome with 20's... the only round I know that has a definitive kill shot on a deflection shot pepper is the 30mm....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:31:46 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 05:28:45 PM »
What is your convergence set to?

Started at max....moved in to 300....400....350....300....2 50....200.....now after trying 500....trying 400.

I was hammering at 300 and 250 because my element leader sets guys up so well......

Can't figure out how to turn on the lead computing gunsight option offline to see lead angles...
”KILLER V”
The Damned