Author Topic: Ye Gods... I thought P-47 was monster...  (Read 4086 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: Ye Gods... I thought P-47 was monster...
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
It had mirrors installed as far as I know, but I'm not sure.

So you get the vibra-view? When it's blurry and red, you know you're about to see tower.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
Had WW2 persisted,, this would have been a very very bad aircraft ...  :frown:
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Had WW2 persisted,, this would have been a very very bad aircraft ...  :frown:

It would already have been somewhat outdated when entering service.
Great performance (speed!) for a plane intoduced in early/midd 44 (as planned), but for a mid/late 45 resp "Luftwaffe 46" not all that impressive overall anymore compared to the contemporaries (P-80, P-47M, P-51H, Bearcat, Tigercat - later Me 262 variants, Ta 183 (46 what if) and so on.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »
It would already have been somewhat outdated when entering service.
Great performance (speed!) for a plane intoduced in early/midd 44 (as planned), but for a mid/late 45 resp "Luftwaffe 46" not all that impressive overall anymore compared to the contemporaries (P-80, P-47M, P-51H, Bearcat, Tigercat - later Me 262 variants, Ta 183 (46 what if) and so on.
Meteor Mk III, Meteor Mk IV, Hornet Mk I, Tempest Mk II, Vampire Mk I.

The Luft 46 hype always seems to ignore the stuff the Allies had in the pipeline.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »
A high-speed bomber interceptor... Rather redundant with the Me 262 in service. Largely worthless against fighters, its defense was speed.

Like the XP-72 Superbolt, advances in technology made it unneeded.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
This minimization is entertaining, even credible (eg, the allied stuff coming was indeed also very good), but my guess is, were we to have the type or the arena, you guys would all take a turn in the beast.

As for widewing's point about its role, my own opinion is that most late-war Luftwaffe ac can be binned to a similar category. They all give up lateral turn capability for the weightier toys needed to intercept and bring down bomberen. There is no pure air superiority aircraft in the Luftwaffe inventory by '45. Both k-4 and d-9 have lousy turn rates. When you consider the mission (interception) it makes sense, but Mr. Spitty they ain't.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
Very cool. Thanks for the post.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 05:05:52 PM »
Actually the primary mission the Do-335 was designed for originally  was high speed bombing. The 335 was a fighter bomber from the start, and the internal bomb bay has been a key feature of this design. That's also why the initial 'A' series carried a somewhat 'light' armament for it's size (1x30mm and 2x20mm in the nose), and only the projected B (destroyer) series was to upgrade this to 3x30mm and 2x20mm.

In late 43, when the Luftwaffe still had hopes to get it into service soon, the 335 was intended to help smashing the upcoming invasion in the west in a Schnellbomber role similar to the me 262 (but much better suited to that task).

The first regular unit to be equipped with the 335 was a bomber unit, the KG-2.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
For about the first 4 feet out from the fuselage. The wing leading edge is a semi-knife edge, then blends to rounded. You also notice there is a very small amount of filleting at the fuselage wing joint.

Does the knife edge have a relationship to influencing the airflow through the 90 degree shape created by the fuselage and wing with minor filleting?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
As much as I like the Do-335, it was outdated by 1945. Had it been introduced sooner, it could have made a difference, but not in those late stages of the war. Late versions of the P-47, P-51 and Tempest could already match its performance, except maybe for the armament loadout.

Now other fighters that were ready for the production line as the Horten IX were a whole different breed, but those are jets.

As a note, Dornier already had a substitute for the Do-335 planned. It's definitely one of my favourite aircraft projects, the Do P.252. Two engines driving pusher propellers, armament concentrated on the nose, 577mph top speed extracted by some quite accurate calculations. 6 30mm cannons, being 4 taters and 2 MK213C. And a 41K ceiling to catch the expected B-29 raids.

Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 07:06:16 PM »
Yes, but not so much as a prototype was made. This is vapor, even by luft. 46 standards. Nonetheless, tres kewl...

Btw, surely we've had people flakking for the Bachem Natter?

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »
If we get a 1946 arena, I want my super 162D, the TA jet, the jet that was to replace the Stuka, and the B32  :D

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
Personally I'd be in one of these in a "1946 what if" arena.

The transonic Me 262HG II.

Prototype flew in January 1945. Would have been faster then F-86 and MiG-15.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »
No sir, this f8f was a monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XcI1RCXXJU

And this F-7f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IM6nXsdQc

Oh and they were carrier fighters.  :rock

And before anyone says it, yea i know they didn't see combat service.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
A high-speed bomber interceptor... Rather redundant with the Me 262 in service. Largely worthless against fighters, its defense was speed.

Like the XP-72 Superbolt, advances in technology made it unneeded.

What is the Superbolt?
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton