Author Topic: Ye Gods... I thought P-47 was monster...  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Ye Gods... I thought P-47 was monster...
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »
 :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
No, as I mentioned previously, it's not an accurate measurement at all nor will it ever be. 

ack-ack

Okay, but do you dispute that total kills and deaths correlate to total participation? I'd go as far as to say that that correlation is likely pretty strong.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »
Okay, but do you dispute that total kills and deaths correlate to total participation? I'd go as far as to say that that correlation is likely pretty strong.

Are you saying that total kills and deaths stats can be used as an accurate metric?  If you are, I disagree for the obvious reason, it's not an accurate measurement to track player population.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »
Are you saying that total kills and deaths stats can be used as an accurate metric?  If you are, I disagree for the obvious reason, it's not an accurate measurement to track player population.

ack-ack

WTF is your rationale?  No one disputes HTCs customer base has lessened over the years.  Dale can post something to argue but I don't think he will -  he knows he score better than all of us.

My hope is the new engine will go a long way to build a stronger customer base, but I won't do what you are doing and post counter arguments not germane to the point being made.  Piss on me all you want but don't tell me it's raining while you do.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
Are you saying that total kills and deaths stats can be used as an accurate metric? 

I think we have to define "accurate" in this context, or you guys will just turn in circles ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2014, 04:56:49 PM »
WTF is your rationale?  No one disputes HTCs customer base has lessened over the years.  Dale can post something to argue but I don't think he will -  he knows he score better than all of us.

I agree, the only one that can accurately track the player population base is HiTech, he has all the tools that provide that info.  All we can do is basically offer conjecture since we do not have the complete picture ourselves.  I was just disagreeing with PJ that total kills/deaths could be used. 

My hope is the new engine will go a long way to build a stronger customer base, but I won't do what you are doing and post counter arguments not germane to the point being made.  Piss on me all you want but don't tell me it's raining while you do.

I hope the new engine also attracts new players and causes old players to return, I certainly don't want to see this game wither on the vine and die.  Nor do I really understand why you are getting upset, since I'm just saying to Rich and PJ that using in-game stats to track player population isn't going to provide the metric they're looking for.  It's rather obvious when there is only 385 during US prime time that the player base has shrunk, when there used to be 700+ during US prime time a few years ago.

Using in game stats would be like me tracking the player population for the game I work on by using how many free companies have cleared Turn 5 of Coil in FFXIV during March compared to April. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2014, 05:02:04 PM »
Are you saying that total kills and deaths stats can be used as an accurate metric?  If you are, I disagree for the obvious reason, it's not an accurate measurement to track player population.

ack-ack

For total kill/deaths to go down, there either have to be fewer subscribers or a large percentage of subscribers have to be playing less for some reason. The first answer seems simpler and more plausible than the first, and a smaller number of ranked players every tour would seem to support this also.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:03:55 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
I agree, the only one that can accurately track the player population base is HiTech, he has all the tools that provide that info.  All we can do is basically offer conjecture since we do not have the complete picture ourselves.  I was just disagreeing with PJ that total kills/deaths could be used. 

I hope the new engine also attracts new players and causes old players to return, I certainly don't want to see this game wither on the vine and die.  Nor do I really understand why you are getting upset, since I'm just saying to Rich and PJ that using in-game stats to track player population isn't going to provide the metric they're looking for.  It's rather obvious when there is only 385 during US prime time that the player base has shrunk, when there used to be 700+ during US prime time a few years ago.

Using in game stats would be like me tracking the player population for the game I work on by using how many free companies have cleared Turn 5 of Coil in FFXIV during March compared to April. 

ack-ack

I'm not upset at all.  Dude, you're posts were misleading and therefore my response

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
I'm not upset at all.  Dude, you're posts were misleading and therefore my response

How were they misleading? Were you translating his posts to Farsi and then back to English or something?
Retired

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
How were they misleading? Were you translating his posts to Farsi and then back to English or something?

Cute. 

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 07:59:16 PM »

ack-ack

It depends on what you mean by accurate. If kills and deaths correlate strongly with participating player count, then depending on the distribution of error; kills plus deaths versus true player count, you could establish a confidence that a given kill and death count for a month was scaleable to the true count. There would still, of course be some probability that the proxy gives an erroneous result.

But it's one hell of a lot more plausible than obtusely and against all observable evidence stating that the two don't trend sympathetically...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
Nobody said it was dead on accurate but it most certainly shows trends, that is if counting the numbers in the arena today and remembering what they used to be years ago, isnt enough. And a Apr MWA K/D count of over 80,000 in 2008 compared to a 2014 MWA of about 13,000 shows a further "trend". The loss might be even more then 62%.

EWA was roughly 18,000 in 2008 and was about 1,200 in 2014. The "trend" is clear enough.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
And a Apr MWA K/D count of over 80,000 in 2008 compared to a 2014 MWA of about 13,000 shows a further "trend". The loss might be even more then 62%.

EWA was roughly 18,000 in 2008 and was about 1,200 in 2014. The "trend" is clear enough.

The minor arenas are only remotely related to LW (and thus overall activitly, of which the LW has a more than 90% share). They have a population dynamics all of their own, especially when shrinking (the old 'if nobody is there, nobody goes there' problem).

In the end, it's all about the Late War Main Arena, globally seen.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:49:21 PM by Lusche »

Offline matt72078

• Zinc Member
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
As someone who read the first two few entries then skipped to the end of the thread`.  I say bring on the 1946 plane set.  It will be that much funner killing them in the early war bird set
"Best in the wing, hat in the ring!"