Author Topic: Kindergarten Lessons  (Read 20792 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Kindergarten Lessons
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 07:56:14 PM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:31:29 PM by hitech »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »
See rule #2
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:31:44 PM by hitech »
JG 52

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
I have a couple other hobbies outside AH and participate in a few other message boards. One hobby puts me on national/international message board and a local (to my state) board. In my experience, the local message boards are MUCH more civil than the the bigger boards. My theory for why that may be has to do with accountability. Locally, there's a LARGE chance someone knows you or will actually meet you in person. Therefore, the contributors police themselves because there are repercussions for their actions on the boards. Unfortunately for us and HT on this BBS there is a large degree of annonimity and therefore people are much more apt to do/say the wrong thing.

When I think about how much time the HT crew spends policing our actions here, it bothers me. Their time could be much better spent.

I can't account for other people's actions so I'll take responsibility for my own...

I, LilMak, in an effort to create a more perfect community, vow to understand and never intentionally break the rules set forth in this forum from this day forward. I also vow to be civil and respectful to those who post to these forums as well.

That's all any of us can do, we alone get to decide if we're going to try and be a positive contributor to the community or not.  Another thing to think about, this BBS is a reflection on the community.  I've been told that a relatively small portion of the overall player base posts here, but think of this.  This forum is also the first look at the game and community for a lot of potential new players.  Before they can get in the game and see HO-ing, ganging, vulching, hording, before they can complain about 12 hour switch times, they can see what we post here and start forming opinions on the game w/out ever setting foot in the arenas.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
That's all any of us can do, we alone get to decide if we're going to try and be a positive contributor to the community or not.  Another thing to think about, this BBS is a reflection on the community.  I've been told that a relatively small portion of the overall player base posts here, but think of this.  This forum is also the first look at the game and community for a lot of potential new players.  Before they can get in the game and see HO-ing, ganging, vulching, hording, before they can complain about 12 hour switch times, they can see what we post here and start forming opinions on the game w/out ever setting foot in the arenas.

Well said <S>  It is not a tall order to work and play well with others.  Also, I suppose the happy guys are many more times more numerous than the loud voices.  That is my supposition.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
See rule 2
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:18:03 PM by hitech »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
I fly my RV8 around.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
I fly my RV8 around.

Can you come pick me up and take me for a ride?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
My dog in this hunt is at what time does "better" win the day?  All of this is so tedious and sad.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »
Last time I was in game I got muted in the AvA for laughing at someone attempting to vulch me taking off and got muted for it, last thing we need are player moderators.

I'm sure you didn't get muted for laughing.....

its a shame that people hide behind a computer and say what they want, when they know darn well, if they were face to face, they would never say most of what you see on the boards. HTC has the tough job of deciding whats appropriate and whats not. its a shame the problem children can't be just a bit more respectful and word things in a way that is more succinct and less inflammatory. not saying that everyone is trying to start something, just less argumentative.

you got something to say, say it like the guy is in the room with you and not like a bully. HTC watches and listens. sometimes it works to cater to the needs of the community, sometimes not, but you can always ask, and they always answer. just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it pig pile time( sorry pigs on a wing)!

there are times when i think kindergarten kids are better behaved then some of the adults in here.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:40:45 PM by captain1ma »

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
I'm sure you didn't get muted for laughing.....

you got something to say, say it like the guy is in the room with you and not like a bully.

Maybe I worded it wrong as If I was being a bully, my apologies I was not in any way attempting to be a bully or a jerk for that matter. Actually what happened was simply stupid and childish, and did end in a mute for saying "hahaha". Only reason I would actually remember it because it was frankly childish to begin with.
You are absolutely right, only time I got muted in the past few years was either childish or talking the good ol politics on 200 when clearly its not allowed. As time goes by I can only recall being muted once in the past many years for giving someones position away on 200 because of the nagging voice over Vox.
I do believe the entire TopGun were threatened with mute for a week if we did it again, at the time? funny as hell, not so much now - it was rather childish.

I think some take things far to serious, maybe a break is in order for some people - relax and read a book, much as I wish I could be flying back in game right now (Which I most likely will resubscribe this weekend), I've had plenty of time to look back and improve on how i've been in game and on here.

JG 52

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2014, 11:44:54 PM »
My dog in this hunt is at what time does "better" win the day?  All of this is so tedious and sad.

Don't read it then.

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
If you feel that way about online games and their community, maybe you shouldn't play them. Not being sarcastic at all, just saying because most every gaming community has this issue.

No they don't.  I play in the IL-2 communities (all three games) and they are not like I see here at all.  They are much more civil.  Folks have their differences of opinion, but nothing like the whining, temper tantrums and snotty stuff I see here.  I don't play the arcade games like WarThunder or World of Tanks or fantasy games and maybe it's there, but this board goes into the ditch far more often and deeper than any other flight sim community I've seen.  AH is a great game with a lot of great folks playing it but the obnoxious few are hurting the game and the image of the game reflected here.

Halo46 shouldn't stop playing when the obnoxious few can be easily weeded out.  Might be the best advertising dollars Hitech has ever spent, that being the lost revenue from a little pruning.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:11:41 AM by shoresroad »
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
No they don't.  I play in the IL-2 communities (all three games) and they are not like I see here at all.  They are much more civil.  Folks have their differences of opinion, but nothing like the whining, temper tantrums and snotty stuff I see here.  I don't play the arcade games like WarThunder or World of Tanks or fantasy games and maybe it's there, but this board goes into the ditch far more often and deeper than any other flight sim community I've seen.  AH is a great game with a lot of great folks playing it but the obnoxious few are hurting the game and the image of the game reflected here.

Halo46 shouldn't stop playing when the obnoxious few can be easily weeded out.  Might be the best advertising dollars Hitech has ever spent, that being the lost revenue from a little pruning.
:aok Im with this guy  ;)
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:27 AM »
I agree and I am glad to see these steps taking place, though seeing people pushed out is never a good thing. Many of the other communities eject people immediately when they step out of line. HTC has been (I would say) too forgiving. I am guilty of stepping over the line a few times myself, especially with #14. I think the art of debate has been lost somehow, but also people think emotionally too often rather than consider things more thoroughly and actually using their brains. While it is far easier to attack the messenger than it is to reasonably counter the argument that the messenger poses the result is almost always the entire topic going up in flames. I have been seeing that as how the entire BBS is controlled by the few that use the tactic, and that causes people to stop using the board.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2014, 05:20:20 AM »

Halo46 shouldn't stop playing when the obnoxious few can be easily weeded out.  Might be the best advertising dollars Hitech has ever spent, that being the lost revenue from a little pruning.

How have they hurt the game?

I mean, if one is to make such claims, it would be nice to have empirical evidence of it.

Someone acting like a dick, behind a keyboard, in a video game or on it's forum does not ruin the game because it is completely possible to ignore them.

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/Submit
noun

1.   a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

I don't see where it says all views and ideas are required to be the same.  Some folks are a lot more passionate about things than others.

As for "a little pruning", having less customers does not pay the bills, unless you have an alternate source of funding.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.