Author Topic: Traffic Pattern AGL in Game  (Read 581 times)

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
Traffic Pattern AGL in Game
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
What AGL do most of you use for traffic pattern work? I find that the normal 1-1.5k AGL does not give me enough visibility of the field in order for a real good set up for final. But then my eyes are not what they used to be.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:39:18 AM by Raven3 »
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Traffic Pattern AGL in Game
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
I think you'll find everything from a 5k dive straight to the apron, to guys that try to be "real". Since friendly collisions are turned off, most players don't pay attention to procedures and just go land whenever/however they want.

Myself, I'll usually fly around 2k AGL and either break-turn to slow down and then a continuous turn to the threshold (helps keep the runway in sight until just before wheels down), or I'll do some S-turns and slip/skid to get the speed down on a more-or-less straight approach. It all depends on how quickly I want to get on the ground, and my mood.  :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
What AGL do most of you use for traffic pattern work? I find that the normal 1-1.5k AGL does not give me enough visibility of the field in order for a real good set up for final. But then my eyes are not what they used to be.  :)

Heh, friendly collisions aren't on in the Main Arenas. I didn't understand that for the first few weeks, so I'd always up from an unused airport to avoid possibly colliding with someone.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
I think you'll find everything from a 5k dive straight to the apron, to guys that try to be "real". Since friendly collisions are turned off, most players don't pay attention to procedures and just go land whenever/however they want.

Myself, I'll usually fly around 2k AGL and either break-turn to slow down and then a continuous turn to the threshold (helps keep the runway in sight until just before wheels down), or I'll do some S-turns and slip/skid to get the speed down on a more-or-less straight approach. It all depends on how quickly I want to get on the ground, and my mood.  :D

Thanks 2k seem to work for me.  I've been away from flying for quite some time so I am trying to reintroduce myself to some fundamentals. I think it will help in the long run.
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
20 or so degree dive toward close end of runway.  At about 2-3k AGL, full throttle back, full rudder and barrel roll to bleed speed popping flaps as I can.  Gear out when I am able, touch down.  Amidoinitrite? ;)

If it were me, I'd just do what you're used to IRL in game.  It's as good as anything.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
Or come in fast and crab :rock

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
What AGL do most of you use for traffic pattern work? I find that the normal 1-1.5k AGL does not give me enough visibility of the field in order for a real good set up for final. But then my eyes are not what they used to be.  :)

If you want to emulate real world fighters, typically initial is flown at 1500' agl.  Pitch out to downwind at idle, roll wings level on downwind, landing gear down. At 45 degrees off the approach end of the runway start flap extension and the turn to final. Roll out on final with desired landing flaps and at final approach speed.   :salute

Where abouts in NM are you?  PM if you don't want to answer in public.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:10:03 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »
Or come in fast and crab :rock

:cheers: Oz

Every time :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright